PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Lake

yardslave
09-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Just back from Smoke Lake by Fox Creek after 4 days of great weather and fishing, Hundreds of walleye and jack in the 1 to 3 lb. range but nothing big. Why nothing big in this lake. Do the bigger fish not survive the winters ?. Most fish were caught on a ledge that went from 5 to 15 ft. Did have a bigger jack come by when reeling in a 2 lb walleye and tried to take a bite off the side of the wally, I've seen that several times and it still freaks me out when it happens.

FlyDog
09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Used to fish Smoke every spring and fall - 10+ years ago. There were big fish in there - monster whites, big perch and MONSTER pike - the kind that come along and swallow the 2 pound walleye you're bringing in. Also a reasonable amount of large wally's. I think netting and over harvesting took its toll though.

Red Bullets
09-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I was ice fishing at Smoke Lake twice two years ago and caught some jumbo whites in about 2 feet of water. The four whites I caught were between 5 and 8 1/2 lbs.. All 4 whitefish had 3 inch minnows inside them so a silver sub surface rapala while trolling is worth a try.

I was trolling in a canoe at Fickle Lake and tried a 4 inch silver rapala and caught a 7 lb. white . Since then i have caught a few more whites with rapalas at different lakes.