PDA

View Full Version : Going to the LSR!!

FisherPotch
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
We'll boys, after many debates a conclusion has been reached. This will be the month that I catch my first Grayling (pending lol). Heading up on Wednesday and I'm very excited. This will be something new to me and I have wanted to catch a grayling ever since I first saw a picture of one. With there unique dorsal, to say that I was intrigued would be an understatement.

I've never been fishing in the region so we are kind of starting from scratch, with the excepting of the fact that one fellow I'm fishing with is from the Yukon. He's caught many on spinning gear and said that small spinners and even spoons should produce.

But.......

I've got my heart set on catching one on the fly. It's my first year so I'm kind of new to flyfishing but I'd say I've got over 150 fly's now. If you boys are willing to share some info it would be greatly appreciated.

I'd just like to know what fly's to be bringing in case I don't have what they want. When I fished the Bow we did so under an indicator. Not realy sure if the LSR is a place for fishing under an indicator or not. Should I be using dry's? Like I said I'm a little green in the gills when it comes to fly tossing so litteraly any info, regardless of how basic, would likley be helpful to me. Also I'm not really sure where to start on the river, but I will be studying the backroad maps tonight.

Anybody going to be up there this week? From my understanding from now till hollow’s eve is the time to be there. I always enjoy a beer with AO members IF anyone is in the region maybe we could get one in and shoot some breeze. Thanks in advance, tight lines.

Oh ya, anybody know if there are any near by waters where a guy might find some bulls or rockies as I've never caught either of them either.

tonyflyfish
09-01-2008, 10:12 PM
i only got at grays once. it was slow water, and they slide out from under cover to take a look and snack on olive half backs. i sensed that they would take almost anything if it drifted past them so droping the fly and letting it drift was important. if they ignored the fly i let it drift as far as possible and even fed out line so that they didn't didn;t it leave the h2o.

hope this helps a little

Alberta Bigbore
09-01-2008, 11:45 PM
there is rockies in the LSR and will be in the pool at the 2nd bridge on Bigstone. Bulls are in the area, but you need to work for them. bring some hardware for them, suckers for a small purple/blue rapala original floater.

i wish i could make the trip with ya, would put us on fish right away, but i cant head up there till mid sept to end of oct.

FisherPotch
09-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Well then maybe we'll have to head out between mid sept and halloween!!
I will have plenty of spinning gear with me too! I'll use whatever works lol. Main goal for the trip is my first Grayling preferably by fly but whatever works. Adding a rocky or a bull to my species caught list would be a major bonus. Thanks Bigbore.

The Anvil
09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
This is my plan... I have wanted to hit the LRS a few times to catch some grayling... caught them in the pembina river at the pembina forks but small little guys.

FisherPotch
09-02-2008, 01:31 AM
off topic but.............................When you say pembina forks do you mean the confluence with the Atha-b?

Alberta Bigbore
09-02-2008, 01:58 AM
i like nymphs from early AM to afternoon, then a hopper dropper rig for the afternoon, until i see that grayling are taking the dry more than the dropper, then switch to the dry only. Look for overhanging structures, behind submerged boulders, foam lines and head and tails of pools.

Various sizes in EHC, stimies, Black Gnats, Bivisible, Humpies, Royal Trudes, Adams, PMD's, and small beetle patterns. For Nymphs i like bead heads in Prince, Pheasant tail, Evil Weivel, TNT, Hares ear, and various attractor wet flies.

3 wt's shine here. 5 wt pretty much standard.

not to hard to catch, but be warned it is proven that numbers of larger fish have declined over the years. Its not what it used to be, but its still a good time. Sort of like fishing Pigeon lake for a boot full of stunted walleye, LOL

Dont forget the rapalas and spinners so you can be Rippin' Lipps' on those Bullies!!!! Good times

A.B.

Alberta Bigbore
09-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Typical LSR Grayling Sorry for crap Quality photo, forgot camera at home and had to buy a disposable for that trip

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Fishing%20Alberta/Familypics3721.jpg

this is right beside the Grizz junction bridge, on the upstream and east side. You dont have to far from the bridge as you will learn, but exploring will reward you, those are best on second visits, 1st trip is to enjoy the Legend.

\

FisherPotch
09-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Thaks alot man. More info than I could ever hope for, plus I know you know your stuff.

I've been told before but can't remember. What do the abreviations EHC TNT and PMD stand for again.

EHC - Elk Hair Caddis?

Alberta Bigbore
09-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Thaks alot man. More info than I could ever hope for, plus I know you know your stuff.

I've been told before but can't remember. What do the abreviations EHC TNT and PMD stand for again.

EHC - Elk Hair Caddis?

EHC = Elk Hair Caddis

TNT = TNT Pheasant Tail Just darker and flashier than traditional

PMD = Pale Morning Dun

I used to know my stuff, past couple years ive let work take over in a mad blistz to save save save save. But we have happily watched as the housing market has come down and is continued to come down..... And now will all the extra driving I have done, a mere 2 hour drive to a good fishing hole is a chore. Ived fished alot this summer, dont get me wrong but i havent posted alot about it.

i used to watch that calender for the middle of September. Then head to LSR. One of my absolute favorite waterbodies in Alberta for some reason. ( other than the Livingstone River, LOL )

As for next weekend, i d really like to get to a old childhood NSR favorite, as I know it is thumping large walleyes right now, its just a matter of finding the motivation to take the trek down there, as im not 20 anymore and its tough terrain....sorry for the highjack, im on a sugar high wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

FisherPotch
09-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Sugar is good lol. It's not the trek down but the trek up that you should worry about. Is this spot in my neighborhood? I've got a hunch.

Alberta Bigbore
09-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Sugar is good lol. It's not the trek down but the trek up that you should worry about. Is this spot in my neighborhood? I've got a hunch.

i very much doubt it. But if Buck is up for it, maybe 3 of us can hike down to the banks in town. He had mentioned a different section though......

FisherPotch
09-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Well I will be around this weekend. I work tomorrow night then I'm off to the LSR back on Friday. Talk to him and if you boys are down PM me B4 wednesday, otherwise we'll have to chat on Friday.

Now back to the LSR topic LOL!!!! Anybody been up there as of late?

SNAPFisher
09-02-2008, 09:11 AM
AB Bigbore pretty much covered it ...and very well ;)

I would add two other flies as well for grayling. I did well with a all white fly with a white parachute style. Not sure of the technical term for them. Easy to see while it floats. The other is the irresistible adams. Another great floater that is easy to see. Those grayling love em!

Like BB said, it is kind of like Pigeon style. Catching a lot in a day it is nice to have some fly floatant once your flies get water logged and slimed. Put a bit on and do about a dozen false casts to dry it and your back in the game. There are many types and the Fishing Hole or Wholesale carries them.

Good luck and good fishing!

Battery
09-02-2008, 09:19 AM
what does LSR stand for

bearbait
09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
little smokey river....good luck..the bite is on..

abrigger
09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
And here I thought we were talking about the Lesser Slave River :)

FisherPotch
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Last year someone used the LSR abreviation and I too tghought Lesser slave river. Thanks alot fellas, I'm so excited I have the jitters!!! Glad I'm on night shift because I couldnt sleep anyways!!!!!

Splitbrow
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Here is one from about a month back. Caught 4 bigger about 3 weeks back in a hour. Should be a fun fall :)

FisherPotch
09-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Well got back from LSR on Friday. Things went well I'd say. We all caught fish on the first day (Grayling). Thursday night was smoken hot as the sun was setting, couldn't keep em off the blue fox spinner I was running.

I'd say I spent 75% of my time fly fishing. Mostly hopper dropper style, and met with no success. Tried everything. They would rise for my dry once in awhile, mostly lil guys, but everytime I went for a hook set nothing was there. So at some point I said "**** It" and went to the spinning gear because I couldn't let the boys out fish me lol.

We didn't get as far off the beaton trail as I would have liked. The guys I was with didn't have wadders.

Best Grayling were a lil beter than 14 inches.

No bulls or rockies :(

On Friday on our way out I threw a few casts under the first bridge on the bigstone road. I had a fish on first cast, and new it wasn't a grayling off the bat. I was praying for a bully but low and behold "It's a ****ing pike". I was a lil ****ed to say the least. I'm not a fan of hammer handles and the fact that this bugger head faked me was frustrating. I didn't think that the pike were up that far. Then on the next cast I got into a fish I knew wasn't a grayling or a pike. To say i was excited would be an understatment. Thinking this one has to be a bull. Wrong, "It's a ******* walleye", broke my heart. Didn't think I'd find any eye's up that far either.

I'd say one of my least successful trip this year. Caught my first grayling (YAY!). But nothing on the fly, no Bulls, No rockies. But we had a good time. Beautiful area and a trip I will make again. Maybe this year as I feel like the LSR won this one and I wan't my vengence lol.

Only took a few pics but I'll post them In a day or two. Gorgeous lil fish they are. Tight lines.

Alberta Bigbore
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
when you got on the bigstone, did you fish the 1st or second bridge you came to? I have fished the LSR since before i could drive, and have never seen a pike or walleye @ Grizz Junction. weird

Nice report though, BRING ON THE PICS!!!

FisherPotch
09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
When I was looking on the map it showed a CN rail that had a grizz junction on it. But that isn't where we were fishing. I'm guessing the second bridge is what most refer to as Grizz junction.

We spent most our time at the second bridge (more west) and only a lil time at the first bridge.

The walleye and pike were under the first bridge (closest to hi way 43) caught on spinner, eye was like 15 inches, johny was around 22 maybe 23. I really didn't think they should be there, but released them anyways, I think I purdy much had to, cause they weren't listed on this section of the river and therefore would have had to be over 50cm and 63 cm respectively.

What a head fake though! I wen't up there thinking that any fish I catch in the stream would be a species I hadn't caught b4. Like I said broke my heart when I saw what it was at the end of me line. I was so excited, thinking I had a bull on I was calling out to the guy's, then when I saw what it was I think I died a little.

FisherPotch
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Might not get a chance to upload the pics till wednesday night. Just a couple pics tho. Me with a goffy face with my first grayling, and then a few testing out the underwater picture function on my new camera.

Deano
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
The action should heat up at the first bridge in the next week or so. Hey Bigbore, I was surprised but on my trips to the river early in the year (June and July) I also caught some pike and walley around the first bridge. One of the Eyes was a nice 4 lbs in the back eddy just below the rapids upstream of the bridge. According to the regs you have to be on the other side of hwy 43 to keep the eyes.

Alberta Bigbore
09-09-2008, 05:02 AM
The action should heat up at the first bridge in the next week or so. Hey Bigbore, I was surprised but on my trips to the river early in the year (June and July) I also caught some pike and walley around the first bridge. One of the Eyes was a nice 4 lbs in the back eddy just below the rapids upstream of the bridge. According to the regs you have to be on the other side of hwy 43 to keep the eyes.

Wow, never seen one in there yet, then again i have never been there before Sept 15th. I love the first week of Oct. you gonna be hitting the ice alot this year? i got some new electronics coming my way real quick, should make it intresting. I still have that photo of when you fell in the ice hole....:D

FisherPotch
09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Wow, I was very surprized to find them there. Guess it's not that rare. I want to go again already lol. But not for eye's or pike can catch those without much of a drive, its a solid 3.5 hrs for me to get to the first bridge.

I'm purdy certain if a species isn't listed in the regs for that section of a stream or lake that the general regs would apply.

SNAPFisher
09-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Congrats on your first grayling! Nothing wrong with mixing in some different species. You never know what is going to swim up the river ;)

Head back to the 2nd bridge on a nice and sunny October day. You will come to love your fly rod that day :wave:

Cheers!

Alberta Bigbore
09-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Head back to the 2nd bridge on a nice and sunny October day. You will come to love your fly rod that day :wave:

Some evenings as the sun goes down it seems like it is raining there are so many rises. That place can spoil the dry fly fisher in a hurry.

hey Potch.....how was the drive in on the Bigstone?????

FisherPotch
09-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I was thinking that exactly. They were rising while I was there but I don't think I'm the best at providing them with what they want yet. (I.e. mending, and laying down the dry nicely). Like I said they did rise for my dry a number of times. I didn't know if I should go straight for a hook set or if I should let them take it. At first I was going straight for the hook set as soon as they rose, which is what I’d assume to be the best technique. I tried letting them take it several times but it didn't seem to work. Most the rises I got were after I let out lots of line and let it float a long ways as Tony described in his post earlier on this thread. I think most the rises I got for my dry were real lil fish too.

I'll likely be back there soon enough.

Bigstone was rough but I'm guessing no rougher than it usually is. I'd imagine it can get purdy soupy on parts of the road. Some parts were damn near one lain, lots of traffic on that road. They did some fixing on the first bridge while we were there, they layed new asphalt. Me new 4X4 (new to me) had no issues whatsoever though. Tight lines!

Deano
09-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Wow, never seen one in there yet, then again i have never been there before Sept 15th. I love the first week of Oct. you gonna be hitting the ice alot this year? i got some new electronics coming my way real quick, should make it intresting. I still have that photo of when you fell in the ice hole....:D

Ya Mike I remember that day quite well. Funny how a foot fits perfect down that 10" hole. Oh well I was tough enough to keep my ass out there for the day, or was it stupid? Glad I didn't fall into the swimming pool you cut out at Gull :ashamed:.

Alberta Bigbore
09-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Ya Mike I remember that day quite well. Funny how a foot fits perfect down that 10" hole. Oh well I was tough enough to keep my ass out there for the day, or was it stupid? Glad I didn't fall into the swimming pool you cut out at Gull :ashamed:.

oh my (as i call it "Triaxle" ice holes). Those were pretty harsh. Stopped doing those after i almost drove my vehicle into it.:scared: or before some one else did. Seen alot bigger holes out there you can actually cast into:confused: No Deano, that was good times. We should head out again this year for some early ice trout.

Deano
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
oh my (as i call it "Triaxle" ice holes). Those were pretty harsh. Stopped doing those after i almost drove my vehicle into it.:scared: or before some one else did. Seen alot bigger holes out there you can actually cast into:confused: No Deano, that was good times. We should head out again this year for some early ice trout.

Absolutely!!

FisherPotch
09-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Here's them pics

These underwater pics were taken well after the sun was down, I'm hoping that they come out beter in natural light rather than with the flash.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/P9040057.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/P9040056.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/P9040055.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/P9040058.jpg

Here's one that shows how beautiful these lil fellers are. Nothing like the epic huge grey's Donny Bear was slamming in Alaska but fun to catch just the same.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/P9040046.jpg

I need a photographer that'll tell me when I'm making a dumb face lol :lol:
This one is my first grayling ever
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/P9030044-1.jpg

I want to go again something fierce!! Tight lines all!

The Anvil
09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Those are some nice pics and decent grayling.... thanks for sharing.

Donny Bear
09-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Great Pic's nice Grayling. I have never fished the LSR. I was planning to hit the C.utbank and bull south of GP I use to fish them years back and the Kakwa always produced bull trout but the Bull and Cutbank were always better for grayling. They are beautiful fish for sure. Thanks for sharing:cool:

Alberta Bigbore
09-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Nothing wrong with those grayling. Congrats on your first !!!