PDA

View Full Version : NSR Sturgeon last night

ximmix2007
09-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I'll try to post the pic after but here's the story. So, my brother and I decide to hit the river since the levels and clarity are looking really nice. We meet at our spot and hit the river, jig and minnow, jig and worm-no action, so I tie on a pickeral rig(which I find to be a lazy man's way of fishing). I get some action right away and land 2 small walleyes and seeing this my brother ties one on as well and heads upstream. I hear him call my name and I didn't think much of it and didn't see what he was up to for a few minutes. I decide to check him out and his rod is bent at almost a 90 degree angle an line is screaming off his real. I think almost instantly, Sturgeon, something I've never caught in 25 years of fishing the river nor have I really targeted. I tell him to take his time it could be a half an hour before he gets him in, the fish is the boss in this battle. He runs, he sits on the bottom, he runs, he sits, I told my brother to come downstream to put some pressure on the fish to turn downstream, it seems to help, he's gaining ground on him. All the while I'm cursing him, happy for him but still cursing, I can see the line in the water close to shore but can't see the fish. I've got my glove on and am ready to enter the water when he gets him close enough, after 20 minutes he gets him close enough for me to grab by the tail and lift him out. He's friggin huge, well over 3 feet and between 15-20 pounds(hoping you other sturgeon fishermen can help out with weight estimate since we didn't put a scale on him. I take out my camera to take pics and it's pooched, so out comes the cell phone for 2 pics and I thought let's try the camera again, thank god it works and we quickly snap off some pics. we didn't want to keep him out of the water long, so after some reviving he gave a strong kick and swam away. The spot will remain secret as I have yet to catch a sturgeon and am looking forward to trying for them this year with some heavier gear than my light weight and 8 pound test. I thinking a fish like that will destroy my new crucial rod in no time. Having a hard time loading pic, file to big . Will try to put in My Photo Album.

ximmix2007
09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Tell you what whomever wants to see the pic PM me and I'll email it to your email address.

FisherPotch
09-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Great story, can't wait to see a pic. Hope you get yours soon!!

Rockymtnx
09-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Congrats! I can't wait to see the pics.

buckmaster
09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I'll try to post the pic after but here's the story. So, my brother and I decide to hit the river since the levels and clarity are looking really nice. We meet at our spot and hit the river, jig and minnow, jig and worm-no action, so I tie on a pickeral rig(which I find to be a lazy man's way of fishing). I get some action right away and land 2 small walleyes and seeing this my brother ties one on as well and heads upstream. I hear him call my name and I didn't think much of it and didn't see what he was up to for a few minutes. I decide to check him out and his rod is bent at almost a 90 degree angle an line is screaming off his real. I think almost instantly, Sturgeon, something I've never caught in 25 years of fishing the river nor have I really targeted. I tell him to take his time it could be a half an hour before he gets him in, the fish is the boss in this battle. He runs, he sits on the bottom, he runs, he sits, I told my brother to come downstream to put some pressure on the fish to turn downstream, it seems to help, he's gaining ground on him. All the while I'm cursing him, happy for him but still cursing, I can see the line in the water close to shore but can't see the fish. I've got my glove on and am ready to enter the water when he gets him close enough, after 20 minutes he gets him close enough for me to grab by the tail and lift him out. He's friggin huge, well over 3 feet and between 15-20 pounds(hoping you other sturgeon fishermen can help out with weight estimate since we didn't put a scale on him. I take out my camera to take pics and it's pooched, so out comes the cell phone for 2 pics and I thought let's try the camera again, thank god it works and we quickly snap off some pics. we didn't want to keep him out of the water long, so after some reviving he gave a strong kick and swam away. The spot will remain secret as I have yet to catch a sturgeon and am looking forward to trying for them this year with some heavier gear than my light weight and 8 pound test. I thinking a fish like that will destroy my new crucial rod in no time. Having a hard time loading pic, file to big . Will try to put in My Photo Album.

congrats on the sturgeon!There are lots of spots on the nsr where the sturgeon are caught frequently! This year has been really good for me:wave:

bearbait
09-02-2008, 09:44 AM
dawson park is a good spot for stugon...i have caught a few there with the biggest commin in at 68 pounds...great fighters!!