PDA

View Full Version : Pike markings??

Tigger72
09-13-2013, 06:50 PM
I have caught a lot of pike and u don't recall ever seeing a pike with stripes like this one usually random spots like the three others I caught yesterday... Any thoughts..... I googled images of pike/ musky and the closest was a tiger musky I think but it has more of a black stripe ...my other thought was a juvenile pike but it was the largest of the four and the smaller ones looked "normal"... Just curious...( These are out of the glenmore resevoir )

lifesaflyin
09-13-2013, 07:22 PM
ive seen them like that before, also caught one that was almost pure black other than green strips:) seems like they have many different markings

Lefty-Canuck
09-13-2013, 07:24 PM
The younger smaller pike quite often have stripes that change as they age.

LC

CeeZee
09-13-2013, 07:51 PM
The kids caught this one a few weeks ago, quite the markings as well.

RavYak
09-13-2013, 09:16 PM
That is a rare zebra pike lol

I have never caught one with that strange of markings but have caught some similar. As Lefty says they often have them when they are young. If you google juvenile pike will see some similar pictures etc.

Gust
09-13-2013, 10:41 PM
nice markings,, be really careful under the bridge there firstly for the fines, secondly for the current - though mostly in the Spring -, but firstly the fine,, which sucks because I'd love to troll under the golf course.

Pikehunter13
09-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Thems dar are tigerPike, Rare breed you hear.

Nice fish!

Tigger72
09-13-2013, 11:52 PM
nice markings,, be really careful under the bridge there firstly for the fines, secondly for the current - though mostly in the Spring -, but firstly the fine,, which sucks because I'd love to troll under the golf course.

What fines are those??? Are you not allowed to fish under/by the bridge? I looked for signage at the rowing club launch in the reg's booklet and on the city website and found nothing..... including any rules on rowers having free reign on the resivoir to do what ever they want ( boating rules and regs and etiquette seem not to apply ) on two occasions while casting into shore from our canoe once by golf course and once by heritage park (us being no where near the rowing lanes either time and about 15 yds from shore) a single scull both times had to adjust his course to go around us and told us as he went by that we need to say something if we are in his path so we don't get hit...these sculls snuck up on us both times as our back were to them.. I simply told them that seeing that they were the ones "under power " ( we were sitting still ) they needed to watch where they were going... please tell me who was in the wrong....:angry3:

Gust
09-14-2013, 12:08 AM
What fines are those??? Are you not allowed to fish under/by the bridge? I looked for signage at the rowing club launch in the reg's booklet and on the city website and found nothing..... including any rules on rowers having free reign on the resivoir to do what ever they want ( boating rules and regs and etiquette seem not to apply ) on two occasions while casting into shore from our canoe once by golf course and once by heritage park (us being no where near the rowing lanes either time and about 15 yds from shore) a single scull both times had to adjust his course to go around us and told us as he went by that we need to say something if we are in his path so we don't get hit...these sculls snuck up on us both times as our back were to them.. I simply told them that seeing that they were the ones "under power " ( we were sitting still ) they needed to watch where they were going... please tell me who was in the wrong....:angry3:

Never question the lawyers and trust fund kids in their skulls,,, it's an annoyance, especially the kids who pace the rowers in the little outboard who then decide to power cruise the shore.

Either way, don't go under the bridge - would make a great movie title - oh, what the heck, go under the bridge,, some guy drove under the bridge during ice season, then did donuts on the dam side and he didn't get a fine, so, I guess you're good to go.

BeeGuy
09-14-2013, 02:40 AM
There is almost always a sign on the south side of the bridge as well as large marker buoys.

There are soooooo many regs for glenmore. If you are going to fish there often it is worth reading the full 22pg glenmore res ACT in order to know them.

The rescue guys are really happy to harass fisherman and ignore the sail boats and rowers, so, know your regs.

Personally, I say have at'er, but the rescue boat guys will bust your balls.

Those markings are unusual, but they are fairly common for the pike in glenmore.

BeeGuy
09-14-2013, 02:49 AM

Etiquette is a one way street on the res.

rowers first, everyone else second.

and the rules are not enforced equally

catchandeat
09-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Etiquette is a one way street on the res.

rowers first, everyone else second.

and the rules are not enforced equally

it's true, especially the whole "if your a professional rower you don't have to wear a life jacket" rule. I dun get it.....

I never knew you weren't allowed to go underneath the bridge, me and my friend paddled all the way from heritage to the bridge and fished there for a bit, but i've always wanted to try by the dam...

it's been a crappy year for fishing at the glenmore....

Tigger72
09-14-2013, 09:39 AM
The signs at the bridge don't say "do not enter" one is an orange/black triangle the other is a green/black square ( if I recall ) and I think I remember in the past there used to be buoys chained across the north side of the bridge but those weren't there and we fished the south and west shore ( no luck ) ...they did have the buoys blocking off the damn ( understandable )...
---- Where would I find this 22 page rules and regs of the reservoir ( or were you being facetious )

BeeGuy
09-14-2013, 02:45 PM
The signs at the bridge don't say "do not enter" one is an orange/black triangle the other is a green/black square ( if I recall ) and I think I remember in the past there used to be buoys chained across the north side of the bridge but those weren't there and we fished the south and west shore ( no luck ) ...they did have the buoys blocking off the damn ( understandable )...
---- Where would I find this 22 page rules and regs of the reservoir ( or were you being facetious )

This is the part from the Water Utility Bylaws:

RESTRICTED AREAS AND PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES IN GLENMORE AREA
23. (1) The Director of Water Services may, at his discretion, for the protection of the Water System or Water Supply:
(a) restrict or close public access to any portion of the Glenmore Area;
(b) erect temporary or permanent barriers, barricades, fences or other structures and erect signs to give effect to such restrictions or closures.
(2) No Person other than an employee of Water Services acting in the course of their duties may:
(a) access or climb upon any portion of the Glenmore dam wall or face;
(b) access along or across the top of the Glenmore dam except on the roadway and pedestrian and bicycle pathways;
(c) enter or remain in the water of the Elbow River within 50 metres of the most easterly portion of the concrete spillway beneath the face of the Glenmore dam;
(3) No Person shall, without the permission of the Director of Water Services:
(a) disobey a sign or cross a barrier in the Glenmore Area;
(b) enter or remain in or upon the water or the ice of the Glenmore Reservoir for any purpose except as specified in the Glenmore Park Bylaw 9018;
(c) place any object or thing in the water or upon the ice of the Glenmore Reservoir or any stream flowing into the Glenmore Reservoir except as specified in the Glenmore Park Bylaw 9018;
(d) do anything or place or throw any thing which may pollute or contaminate the water of the Glenmore Reservoir;
(e) climb upon, tamper with or damage, or allow to be tampered with or damaged, any works, pipes or structure within the Glenmore Area;
BYLAW NUMBER 40M2006
Page 16 of 44
(f) allow any drain to be connected to any structure or device which drains into the Glenmore Reservoir or any water lying West of the dam at the East end of Glenmore Reservoir;

This LINK (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgary.ca%2FCA%2Fcity-clerks%2FDocuments%2FLegislative-services%2FBylaws%2F9018-GlenmorePark.pdf%3Fnoredirect%3D1&ei=Xco0UvyOF630igKny4GADw&usg=AFQjCNGdN5JYVJrz1kMUCHvtgVhSZbAYHg&sig2=DlFOwKz5FbNpaKJ1WryhFA&bvm=bv.52164340,d.cGE) should take you to the 22pg Glenmore Park Bylaws.

There are also a bunch of the pet bylaws which apply as well.

Blah.

Real busy out there today.