PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing

wwpipes
09-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone I want to do some ice fishing this year and am asking for some suggestions on where to start. Preferably good suggestions. I've only been out a few times in alberta with limited results, so I want to get my own thing going and would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance

chriscosta
09-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Well im not familliar with the calgary area bit if you end up by edmonton and dont care if its catch n release obviosly wabuman get a camera and dont be scared to drill a crapload of holes and takin a peak youd be suprised what ya find on any lake and good luck that goes to all you guys

boonedocks
09-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Make sure that your auger is sharp as hell! Keep moving till you find them. Start at wab!

MoFugger21
09-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Would need a little more info to help you out more - what do you want to fish for? How far do you want to travel? Etc, etc.

But either way, here's where you need to start:
http://srd.alberta.ca/MapsPhotosPublications/Maps/PrairiesAreaBathymetryMaps/ColourBathymetryMaps.aspx

Pick a lake you're interested in and print off (or at least familiarize with) the map.

If you're fishing for pike/walleye, look for your typical 'ambush' points and structure on the lake bottom - points, drops offs, hills, humps, etc. Fish tend to like to hang around some sort of structure.

For me, once I've found the spot on the map I want to fish, I try to find ~6' of water and drill holes out from there, typically to 18-20'. And I try to drill holes that follow the structure. Fish will cruise around this structure/ambush point, look for easy meals and with holes at different depths you can 'work' the structure and find the fish.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

wwpipes
09-13-2013, 11:03 PM
I would like to fish walleye, trout and a lesser choice would be pike but they are fun too. Would like to have a couple fishing spots close to Calgary for weekday fishing and don't mind traveling for a couple hours and sleeping over for a good weekend fish.

MoFugger21
09-13-2013, 11:29 PM
I would like to fish walleye, trout and a lesser choice would be pike but they are fun too. Would like to have a couple fishing spots close to Calgary for weekday fishing and don't mind traveling for a couple hours and sleeping over for a good weekend fish.

Can't help you with right around Calgary, but the are numerous lakes south of Calgary within less than 2 hrs - Lake McGregor, Badger lake, Traver reservoir, Keho, Pine Coulee reservoir, Twin Valley reservoir, Clear lake, Chain Lakes.

The one thing to remember is no one lake is a sure thing when it comes to catching fish (Pine Coulee for walleye maybe the closest thing though). Hence the ridiculous saying, "That's why they call it fishing, not catching", lol.

The best advice I can give you is not to get discouraged easily - there are days where you can everything right and the fish just won't bite. Also, don't be afraid to move around to find the fish.

TJG
09-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Gull will give you the best chance at fish, be it pike, whites, burbs and perch.
Always ask questions of fishermen by your spot, one thing with fishermen is they love to give advise and brag, so don't be afraid to approach them. Always have enuf tackle to catch all species and bait, cause Gulp only go's so far and twister tails catch walleye but also pike and your tackle.

Flieguy
09-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Flieguy's crash course of southern AB ice fishing:

PIKE & WALLEYE: try to find 12 FOW preferably with some structure, fish minnows on a jighead where allowed, just deadstick. simple but effective. Use big baits on a tip up for pike.

fish just about anywhere that's stocked for rainbows, use worms or powerbait on small jigs (I like genz worms). PM me if you want some specific information and I'll do my best

FishAb
09-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I would suggest wabamum , I have always had great luck there , and you can get som pretty amazing sized fish , as long as you don't mind C&R

NCFlyfishin
09-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Go to spray, great laker fishing in 80-100 ft of water with smelts on jigs, I would suggest walking on just after sparrowhawk, you will see people parked there, I find the fishing is best early in the morning and usually dies off around 11am

Red Bullets
09-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Here is an atlas of alberta lakes. It might help you choose where to go.
Tells you the fish in the lake and "figure 1 or 2" in the text about the individual lakes will open a depth map.

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/