PDA

View Full Version : Packable, portable watercraft

Vingiu
09-13-2013, 11:55 PM
What's a new fisherman's best bet for a small (carry 1 or 2 people), light, packable, inexpensive and portable watercraft? I know I'm asking for the holy grail here, but I'm just curious to see what people are using. I've been thinking about inflatables, but would some sort of raft/paddleboard setup be better?

I've also been mulling over the idea of building some sort of wood/foam raft, something nice and thin so it can sit in the bottom of my truck bed. Anyone done that before? If it's just gotta hold me and my gear (total weight maybe 220 lbs) I'd imagine it won't have to be too complicated.

Any ideas are welcome. I'd like to stick to things less than $500, money isn't easy to come by.

M

ETOWNCANUCK
09-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Try the Fish Hunter series of inflatables...they are ok

Just don't brush the tip of your cigar against the side while 20 feet out with out having the emergency repair kit handy...

skykomish sunrise
09-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Check out the Northfork outdoors website and drool a bit. Not cheap but we just got an assault xx and wow!!! Two man class 5 whitewater rated and fits into a hockey bag.

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-14-2013, 08:53 AM
What's a new fisherman's best bet for a small (carry 1 or 2 people), light, packable, inexpensive and portable watercraft? I know I'm asking for the holy grail here, but I'm just curious to see what people are using. I've been thinking about inflatables, but would some sort of raft/paddleboard setup be better?

I've also been mulling over the idea of building some sort of wood/foam raft, something nice and thin so it can sit in the bottom of my truck bed. Anyone done that before? If it's just gotta hold me and my gear (total weight maybe 220 lbs) I'd imagine it won't have to be too complicated.

Any ideas are welcome. I'd like to stick to things less than $500, money isn't easy to come by.

M

I picked up an 11.5 foot Sevylor inflatable for $250, and stuck a $99 Bass Pro trolling motor (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Prowler-T30/30-Trolling-Motor/product/98206/54806) on it. 30 lb thrust (?). I've never even needed the top speed. Usually troll on 1 or 2 speed. That's me, the wife and the dog. Seems to work fine. Then again my biggest lakes so far has been upper and lower K, and Chain. We'll go a whole weekend on one charge, easy. That's trolling for a few hours at a time, couple times a day.

Everything except the motor fits inside a hockey bag
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Eau%20Claire%20camping%20Aug%202010/IMG_1683.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/FIshing%20at%20Chain%20Lakes/PICT5373.jpg

Even has room for the Dog!!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/FIshing%20at%20Chain%20Lakes/P1010103.jpg

I made a "deck" that holds the battery and the tackle box to make more room in the boat:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/FIshing%20at%20Chain%20Lakes/P1010104.jpg

Albertafisher
09-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Take a look at Alpacka Rafts. They're the most portable boats out in the industry, and most models weigh less than 6lbs.

kritofr
09-14-2013, 10:55 AM
http://www.nrs.com/product/1630/nrs-packraft

NRS has a packable raft, that is 7.4 lbs

canadian medic
09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
for 500 you could build a good flat bottom plywood boat 2x2 frame covered with 1/2 inch marine plywood and fiberglass the seems will hold 2 to 3 ppl easy weight about 150 lbs slides easy in to back of truck 5hp motor will skiff it along no prob

Vingiu
09-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks a ton for the help everyone. Looks like I have a bit of researching to do :)

Vingiu
09-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Try the Fish Hunter series of inflatables...they are ok

Just don't brush the tip of your cigar against the side while 20 feet out with out having the emergency repair kit handy...

Hehehe... Don't suppose you found that out from personal experience, eh? :) I actually was thinking about that when I went to look at inflatables. What's a hot cigar stub gonna do to the floor, any chance I might get a hook stuck in it, and etc. etc... Could end up in a bit of a mess

Sushi
09-15-2013, 09:10 PM
costco.ca had zodiacs...not sure if they still do...maybe check it out.

RavYak
09-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Well since you have a truck as long as you have a place to store it I would recommend a canoe or maybe even a small tinner if you need something for up to 2 people. Both can be had for under $500 although you might have to go a little over that in order to get a small motor or electric motor to go with it.

I really like my fishing kayak but they aren't cheap and finding a model for 2 people or having to buy 2 definitely wouldn't be cheap.

I have tried an inflatable pontoon boat and wasn't a huge fan although it was a cheaper model. They really limit you to smaller lakes and if I were to ever get one I would want one with a trolling motor. Again most of them are only 1 person though.

Your only other conventional option is an inflatable, some people seem to enjoy them enough but I don't think I would do it. A good inflatable that will have a tougher skin on it won't be cheap either and I would definitely want that if I were going to be fishing from it.

ETOWNCANUCK
09-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Hehehe... Don't suppose you found that out from personal experience, eh? :) I actually was thinking about that when I went to look at inflatables. What's a hot cigar stub gonna do to the floor, any chance I might get a hook stuck in it, and etc. etc... Could end up in a bit of a mess

Yeah removed cigar from mouth for a sip of beer and didn't pay attention to where my hand was placed...ended up putting a small hole in it:sign0161:

Had the repair kit handy and fixed it quickly, but still.

Just have to be careful and mindful of what you are doing. Also staying close to shore would be good.

This June I saw a guy and two girls in one going out to the middle of Pigeon lake. Windy and rough waters. and this guy is paddling a Fish Hunter.
What would he do if he accidently put a hole in it?