PDA

View Full Version : im buying a flasher..what to get ?

happyfisher
09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
well i need to buy a CHEAP flasher...ill only be fishing at gull...i was looking at the showdown....like the showdown troller....all i need is the thing to go beep and i look down a 10" hole i drilled out and visually fish.....im not rich....maybe a used one?

Ill be in my shack with a car battery running lights...camera....bla bla....

i dont know..i have read lots of threads on this....and never used one...

Are any ones on sale? do they go on sale?

Like i said ill be in 12' of water....and was thinking about buying a mini aqua view...upgrade from my fish tv 7.......gezzzzz

tight line
09-16-2013, 07:48 PM
so are you looking for a camera or a flasher? i have a hummingbird ice 35 flasher and it does the job. but not really that usefull at Gull for 12 fow, maybe in 20, i prefer sight fishing there, and would say it is way more productive, but it is nice to know if a fish is coming when your neck is sore and your not watching!

happyfisher
09-16-2013, 07:54 PM
yea in my shack we watch flicks..drink beer...chit chat...cook etc.....and i cant stare down a hole forever.....

maybe a showdown 2.0?

fish gunner
09-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Most modern conventional sounders have a flasher mode. That way when you feel stoneage you can watch the pretty lights. 500 series hummin birds have "rts" a vertical style flasher whilst running a conventional screen at the same time pick a budget and find a unit that can do it all for less than a new flasher.

happyfisher
09-16-2013, 08:05 PM
ohhhh so flashers are just like the circle ones that have those different colors.....the showdown 2.0 just is a small vertical screen with little black lines....im leaning towards that one....:fighting0074:

fish gunner
09-16-2013, 09:01 PM
ohhhh so flashers are just like the circle ones that have those different colors.....the showdown 2.0 just is a small vertical screen with little black lines....im leaning towards that one....:fighting0074:

Yes flashers are a circular style flasher,the show down is a vertical style flasher . The rts on hummin birds are a vertical style flasher as a side bar to a conventional screen.

happyfisher
09-16-2013, 10:32 PM
im gunna get the showdown 2.0...anyone have one of these...i think its a good starter....

780sjc
09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
If your going to spend the money, spend a little extra and buy a vx-1 pro. Don't get me wrong the showdowns are great but the 3 color display on the traditional flasher is way more versatile and something you'll wish you had. Guaranteed I've caught way more fish for the simple fact that I can tell a lot easier ( from the colors) whats your lure and what is a fish. But whichever way you end up you'll be happy. Marcum makes a great product.

Brandonkop
09-16-2013, 11:21 PM
If your going to spend the money, spend a little extra and buy a vx-1 pro. Don't get me wrong the showdowns are great but the 3 color display on the traditional flasher is way more versatile and something you'll wish you had. Guaranteed I've caught way more fish for the simple fact that I can tell a lot easier ( from the colors) whats your lure and what is a fish. But whichever way you end up you'll be happy. Marcum makes a great product.

I second this! Got a Marcum VX 1 pro and used if last season, LOVED IT!!! It increased my catch rates big time. When we were on cold lake I was outfishing my family at a rate of 3-1 lakers. Go with the three color screen if you can, not much more and very effective fishing machine.

HuyFishin
09-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Get the Marcum lx9 its CHEAP

I-Love-Eyes
09-17-2013, 10:13 AM
well i need to buy a CHEAP flasher...

If I were you, I would spend the money and get a more expensive one. The cheap flashers only use sweatshirts, while the higher end ones use a proper trench coat! LMAO

Sorry--I just couldn't resist!

huntsfurfish
09-17-2013, 10:30 AM
If you have a boat or might get a boat. I would go conventional sonar. Then it will do double duty. Ice and boat. Cheaper in the long run. Most have settings for vertical bar or round. Both Lowrance and Humminbird make good units and portable pack. Plus if you ever rent a boat you can use them.

In that shallow of water I would prefer a camera. Wont get sore staring down the hole with it either.

happyfisher
09-17-2013, 12:26 PM
someone offered me to sell their Vexilar FL8...would that be a good first model?

its used though....but is it worth the risk?

Is it a good model?

thanks all

Happy

lotw
09-20-2013, 09:37 AM
The Fl8 is the easiest flasher to use. Just turn it on and set the sensitivity so your hook is green then catch fish. Make sure it has the noise interference so when other fisherman around it will still work. I have a Marcum LX1 (old VX pro) its 12 yrs old and still works flawlessly and an FL12. Both are great the marcum has a better interference reducer, the vexlar is a bit easier to use but both work for all species and depths. I can fish both units at the same time in a 3 person tent. I have found that they will pick up algae floating around when in some of the trout ponds. The only concern i would have with a used FL8 is the fact that it is used. If it is in good shape and the transducer isn't too scratched up it could be a good buy. The humminbirds are good but my dad has had to have his Ice 45 replaced twice in 3 yrs. I wouldn't buy the humminbird unless it has zoom. When not using zoom the fl 12 is better than the ice 45. The connector for the power cable on his ice 45 broke and it just quit once, wouldnt spin. He also has an LX1 and an FL12 which neither have ever let him down. All these units are transported on a rack on the back of a snowmobile several hundred miles per winter.