PDA

View Full Version : Making Maps with your GPS/Sonar

Mudslide
09-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I've been making maps of Crawling Valley with Lowrance Insight Genesis. Very easy and very cool. Just log your sonar while you are fishing and then send the file to Lowrance for processing. The map comes back as a file that you can put onto an SD card which then gives you the information that you recorded plus a satellite image of the shoreline. I have some pics I'll post of the results. I think they still have some work to do with the product but I hear they have partnered with Motorguide who will be finally be releasing a product to compete with the Ipilot. Hopefully they will make the product be able to follow the depth lines produced by Insight as that's what the new product from Johnson Humminbird is capable of

The former Dr Depth program was bought by Johnson Marine and is being marketed as a product called Lakemaster Autochart http://http://www.lakemap.com/AutoChart/#.UjpEuN74CGd
It's going to be able to use the depth lines created as trails and even offset from them. It's a pain that the maps for Canadian waters are so poor but these new products are definitely the wave of the future.

cdkeim
09-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks Mudslide,

How can I tell if my HDS 5 is Gen 2 or a prior model?

Mudslide
09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks Mudslide,

How can I tell if my HDS 5 is Gen 2 or a prior model?

I think you press menu twice, select "system" and then "about". That screen will have all your info on it.

Popik
09-18-2013, 09:54 PM
As cool as all of this is from what i recall reading is the insight genesis will run you 100$/year to subscribe. So in reality they have you paying them to map a lake for them...and yourself too i guess.

I'm a tad bitter as i picked up an Elite 7 HDI and have yet to come to terms with paying 100/yr or 180$ for a chip so that water even shows up on the over priced thing

Mudslide
09-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Ya there is a subscription but there are no good maps for much of Alberta, so we are stuck if you want them. You have the option to keep your maps to yourself if you don't want to share them. The Hummingbird will cost you for their chip but then you own the software.

EZM
09-19-2013, 07:50 PM
The Navionics card, although adequate, isn't great for showing accurate details or contours decent enough to run along a depth contour but there are hundreds of maps available.

The Lakemaster chips have less than half a dozen maps in western Canada - so this product is simply not an option.

step 1 - With most GPS units - Simply mark the Waypoints along a shoreline or other structure that holds fish about every 30 feet or so.

step 2 - Set your unit on record a track, as you run along the structure, pointing your motor towards the next waypoint each time you cross over one. This will essentially "connect the dots" and create a track which follows the contour. Save the track and use it anytime you like in the future.

step 3 - Use your i-pilot (or i-pilot link) motor to drive you around for a few hours and catch fish.

RavYak
09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
I was wondering when they would come out with a fish finder that could create its own depth charts. Looks like it is only a matter of time.

Mudslide
09-19-2013, 09:24 PM
The Navionics card, although adequate, isn't great for showing accurate details or contours decent enough to run along a depth contour but there are hundreds of maps available.

The Lakemaster chips have less than half a dozen maps in western Canada - so this product is simply not an option.

step 1 - With most GPS units - Simply mark the Waypoints along a shoreline or other structure that holds fish about every 30 feet or so.

step 2 - Set your unit on record a track, as you run along the structure, pointing your motor towards the next waypoint each time you cross over one. This will essentially "connect the dots" and create a track which follows the contour. Save the track and use it anytime you like in the future.

step 3 - Use your i-pilot (or i-pilot link) motor to drive you around for a few hours and catch fish.

As I'm sure you are aware, Ipilot link needs a Humminbird sonar/chartplotter with an Ethernet connection to work properly.(700 series and up). Lowrance is teaming up with Mercury/Motor-Guide to provide a electric trolling motor that does the same thing. Both combos should be able to perform similar functions, although it remains to be seen how good the Motor Guide motors will be. I think it's advantage Humminbird/Minn Kota, right now. Ain't capitalism grand?

Mudslide
09-19-2013, 09:25 PM
I was wondering when they would come out with a fish finder that could create its own depth charts. Looks like it is only a matter of time.

Already here. We just need to learn how to use them properly.