PDA

View Full Version : Fish and Flooding

Norman
09-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I came accross an article with pretty interesting results about fish and floods I thought I'd share. It's quite promising to read.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Survival-After-the-Floods/

Gust
09-18-2013, 08:45 PM
nice read for a change.

BeeGuy
09-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Bow has been great post flood. Lots of big fatties.

anthony5
09-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks Norman, this pretty much is the same thing that I have been telling people who have been asking for the last 30 years "how will this affect the fishing in the East Slopes of AB". I just say, they are there, but maybe not in the same place they were the last time you were out, but the fish are always there:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
09-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I really think fishing has been sensational post flood.

I've got 4 fish in the 7-10lb class and many under that.

Went out the other afternoon and C&R'd >40 rockies.

Kinda sad that some of my old pools are gone, but the new ones have provided some welcome surprises.

WayneChristie
09-18-2013, 09:54 PM
found the same thing at this end. river bottom scoured clean(er) old pools and eddies gone or moved, and new ones (even better) created. and lots of healthy fish. couple banged up and bruised sturgeon but nothing too serious. Lots of exposed roots and snags, but there are ways around that :bad_boys_20:

Gust
09-18-2013, 10:02 PM
found the same thing at this end. river bottom scoured clean(er) old pools and eddies gone or moved, and new ones (even better) created. and lots of healthy fish. couple banged up and bruised sturgeon but nothing too serious. Lots of exposed roots and snags, but there are ways around that :bad_boys_20:

I think I discovered a mysterious relocating of fish,, not sure if I should report it to F&W or share it with friends in PM's.

Norman
09-18-2013, 10:15 PM
I agree, I've had a good year fishing as well this year, lots of changes in the river but some good spots also created. I haven't fished the bow at all this year after the flood so I can't comment much on it, but the creeks have been fishing quite well.

Adwittoutdoors
09-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Great read , thanks for sharing that. :)

WayneChristie
09-18-2013, 10:37 PM
I think I discovered a mysterious relocating of fish,, not sure if I should report it to F&W or share it with friends in PM's.

well if they are trout I dont care, but if they are good fish let me know