PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Pembina Provincial Park

Lefty-Canuck
09-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi Guys,

Heading out camping one last time with Wife and Kids in the trailer this weekend and heading out to Pembina Prov. Park.

I know there is a bait ban other than maggots right now out there and I have never fished that river or fished near the campground in the Prov Park.....

Any pointers? Take a page out of BGSH book and use black/white jigs? :)

LC

buckmaster
09-20-2013, 11:14 AM
1/4oz white jigheads and black tails. Jay knows where to go...:)Good luck

CanadianBadass
09-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Heading out camping one last time with Wife and Kids in the trailer this weekend and heading out to Pembina Prov. Park.

I know there is a bait ban other than maggots right now out there and I have never fished that river or fished near the campground in the Prov Park.....

LC

Just down from the entwistle/Evenburg bridge, there is a really nice slow span of the river with a very deep belly, This is a good spot for those eyes, or Across from the campgrounds the lob stick creek flows in, if you fish that corner I usually get at least a few nice eyes!

Good Luck

Lefty-Canuck
09-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

LC

Lefty-Canuck
09-21-2013, 04:15 PM
There is a bait ban on the Pembina right?

Was wading out fly fishing today and I see a dead fish on the bottom....in a current, and a live fish swimming next to it....I walk further down and then back and still there....then I realize they are both attached to a pickerel rig with a large weight holding them down. So I release the live fish and drop the other one back....someone was using bait on the pickerel rig (he had the hook burried in his gullet so I had to cut the line)...this was right at the provincial park campground...

LC

AppleJax
09-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm not suprised. Generally the people who use pickeral rigs are sub-par fishermen IMO. I think I've dragged more of them out of rivers than fish....and I catch a lot of fish.

RavYak
09-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi Guys,

LC

Take another look at your regs Lefty. Bait is allowed on that portion of the river(Sec Road 753 to Hwy 43 to to Sangudo).

Lefty-Canuck
09-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Take another look at your regs Lefty. Bait is allowed on that portion of the river(Sec Road 753 to Hwy 43 to to Sangudo).

I did actually:)

Realized this stretch was the AOK stretch for bait....good ole fishing regs for rivers :)

LC

embury93
09-25-2013, 04:15 AM
How is the fishing been around the provincial park as of late? I've been catching alot of nice size walleye, pike, goldeye and rockies around Barrhead but its starting to slow down quite substantialy and the water levels have dropped quite a bit now, alot more large sandbars and with the shallower water levels i've mostly been catching rockies or smaller walleye as of late. I plan on making the trip up there today/tommorow for the day(catch and release), not the provincial park necessairly but some of my personal fishing hot spots in the area. I find the people that usually dont know how to handle fish properly are the sub-par fishermen like if your using a rig and the fish has devoured the hook why not just cut the hook there not very expensive to replace. I also hate the fact when people are leaving there garbage along the river banks(particularly Tim Hortons lol) they just don't seem to care about keeping the rivers clean for others. I've got no issue with using a pickeral rig when the water is extremly dirty but most of the time I'm always just using jigs & spoons and have just as much if not some days better success fishing. If I'm able to get any pics i'll be sure to take some if I'm successful and post them in this thread. Best of luck to you @Lefty-Canuck this weekend!

Alberta Bigbore
09-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm not suprised. Generally the people who use pickeral rigs are sub-par fishermen IMO. I think I've dragged more of them out of rivers than fish....and I catch a lot of fish.

I dunno about that. As much as I hate Pickerel Rigs... Some people use them because thats all they know, all they were taught, or told to use by an internet forum seeking answers.:sHa_shakeshout:

pickrel pat
09-26-2013, 05:19 AM
I dunno about that. As much as I hate Pickerel Rigs... Some people use them because thats all they know, all they were taught, or told to use by an internet forum seeking answers.:sHa_shakeshout:

Or that they just plain work!

AppleJax
09-26-2013, 07:53 AM

I used them up until not to long ago, I was fortunate to be shown better methods by experienced fishermen. My catch rates have more than doubled and I don't have to feel bad about losing hardware in the river, as it won't continue to catch/kill fish. Going that extra mile to learn new/improved methods of fishing is a recipe for success. Soon enough P-Rigs will be illegal if at least in some waterbodies I hope.:love0025:

VanIsleGuy
09-26-2013, 08:35 AM
I used them up until not to long ago, I was fortunate to be shown better methods by experienced fishermen. My catch rates have more than doubled and I don't have to feel bad about losing hardware in the river, as it won't continue to catch/kill fish. Going that extra mile to learn new/improved methods of fishing is a recipe for success. Soon enough P-Rigs will be illegal if at least in some waterbodies I hope.:love0025:

Hey AJ, why don't you share the better methods with everyone? I would like to know way to catch fish other than those death trap pickerel rigs. Maybe start a new thread, to not derail this one, and teach people the less harmful ways to catch fish!

AppleJax
09-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Hey AJ, why don't you share the better methods with everyone? I would like to know way to catch fish other than those death trap pickerel rigs. Maybe start a new thread, to not derail this one, and teach people the less harmful ways to catch fish!

I show people on the river all the time how to make there own rigs. You are more than welcome to join me this Friday night if you want, shoot me a pm. I can make a thread later when I get some time. I don't see how I derailed this thread though, the OP talked about the p-rig he found in the river, and I continued the discussion.

Geezle
09-26-2013, 08:52 AM
I show people on the river all the time how to make there own rigs. You are more than welcome to join me this Friday night if you want, shoot me a pm. I can make a thread later when I get some time. I don't see how I derailed this thread though, the OP talked about the p-rig he found in the river, and I continued the discussion.
Relax man :bad_boys_20:

I don't think he was implying you derailed this thread...just that he'd like you to share your method, and that it should maybe be done in its own thread so as to not derail this one :)

Incidentally I've only fished the Pembina once, and we did quite well just pitching jigs for the day :) Hopefully I'll make it out there with buckmaster next weekend :cool:

CanadianBadass
09-26-2013, 09:10 AM
i'm not suprised. Generally the people who use pickeral rigs are sub-par fishermen imo. I think i've dragged more of them out of rivers than fish....and i catch a lot of fish.

edit !

CanadianBadass
09-26-2013, 09:11 AM

I don't think he was implying you derailed this thread...just that he'd like you to share your method, and that it should maybe be done in its own thread so as to not derail this one :)

Incidentally I've only fished the Pembina once, and we did quite well just pitching jigs for the day :) Hopefully I'll make it out there with buckmaster next weekend :cool:

Your right, jigs in the pembina work amazing for walleye there

AppleJax
09-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Your right, didn't mean to sound so snarky! You should join us on the river Friday night ;) work can wait!

CanadianBadass
09-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Your right, didn't mean to sound so snarky! You should join us on the river Friday night ;) work can wait!

Im on the nsr all weekend at night, are u doing the pembina ?

AppleJax
09-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Im on the nsr all weekend at night, are u doing the pembina ?

Ill be on the NSR, shoot me a text bomb.

BeeGuy
09-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Could you describe your more ethical and effective rig?

RavYak
09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Using 3 hooks is legal. Not sure where you got otherwise.

Right from the regs

It Is Unlawful To:

Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

Edit: He edited his post...

AppleJax
09-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Could you describe your more ethical and effective rig?

Sliding weight rig, if the line breaks they are not attched to the weight and hardware. Free to swim on and grow bigger. Ill make a thread in the near future.

VanIsleGuy
09-26-2013, 09:46 AM

Geezle is correct. I didn't mean to say you derailed the thread, just that a new thread specifically on the subject of river rigs would be more appropriate than continuing here. I apologize if I worded my post poorly. If work permits, I will definitely join you tomorrow.

As for the rigging methods, I can post a thread of my own with instructions in order to save you time. Just show me the ways!

Happy fishing! :fishing:

pickrel pat
09-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Guys guys guys...... Just use light line from the rig to the sinker. When sinker gets lodged between rocks the line breaks and your rig is reeled in..... No bigee really.

CanadianBadass
09-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Using 3 hooks is legal. Not sure where you got otherwise.

Right from the regs

It Is Unlawful To:

Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

Edit: He edited his post...

Fish and Game said Bait rigs must not exceed 2 hooks, But it does not apply to raps or lures, Just for bait fishing ..... But it could be wrong

CanadianBadass
09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Guys guys guys...... Just use light line from the rig to the sinker. When sinker gets lodged between rocks the line breaks and your rig is reeled in..... No bigee really.

I use a 6lb from my weight to my crimp, Ive been doing this for years for that reason, Good post pat !

Agree 100%

RavYak
09-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Fish and Game said Bait rigs must not exceed 2 hooks, But it does not apply to raps or lures, Just for bait fishing ..... But it could be wrong

Not sure who told you that but they didn't know what they were talking about.

Regs are very clear on the subject and there is nothing under the bait section saying otherwise.

AppleJax
09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I use a 6lb from my weight to my crimp, Ive been doing this for years for that reason, Good post pat !

Agree 100%

I agree that is a good suggestion. Trouble is most people just attach the weight right to the snap swivel on the rig. Or the rig itself gets wrapped around a sunken tree or branch.