PDA

View Full Version : Mid lake structure and the killer spinner rig

Brandonkop
09-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Sometimes locating mid summer Yellow Perch can be a bit Tricky. In this video we found them on a mid lake hump which is a piece of structure out in the middle of the lake. This structure tops off at 17 feet and drops off to 30 feet in the surrounding area. This is a prime fish holding location throughout the year, especially when the water heats up and those fish go deep! Keep your eye on your sonar when driving down the lake to locate these deep water structures. You'll be happy you did.
http://youtu.be/QyIME1iZmvw

When you're at a new lake and don't really know where to begin it is a good idea to go with trolling. You cover ground with a very effective presentation searching for active fish on the prowl. One of my favorite methods to troll or drift with the wind is using a bottom bouncer and spinner rig. Most conventional spinner rigs have on spinner with some beads and a float. We've taken it another step to create the killer rig with three large spinner blades and multiple floats. For some reason the perch love this set up as well as Big walleye. So if you've never used a spinner rig bottom bouncing before this video is for you.
http://youtu.be/-ZR3yDnoLuM

waterninja
09-24-2013, 10:57 AM
nice vids doctor. i thought i was the only one left who still used a closed face reel now and then.

AppleJax
09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
nice vids doctor. i thought i was the only one left who still used a closed face reel now and then.

Are they similar to a spin casting reel? ;)

RavYak
09-24-2013, 12:07 PM

I use one for my light lures when perch or trout fishing. Baitcasters suck with light lures and I don't like spinning gear. I also like having it as a spare if I take someone fishing that doesn't have their own gear.

Problem with the spincasters is finding a half decent one these days, so many of them are very poorly made and don't even last a season. Oddly enough the best one I have found is actually a Zebco model, the prostaff 2020. Cheap and haven't had any issues, 3 people in the family now use them.

Brandonkop
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Well I don't really use the closed face reals all that much. That real I was using is probably a good 15 or maybe more years old, that was the first reel I actually bought on my own dollar. I think it was a $100, just saw the same reel the other day at bass pro shop for $64. Most of my rods are down at my house and they are all spinning and bait casting. But when I'm up here I have to use what is available to me. That old Gold Diawa has caught a lot of fish and still works well. I'm not a big fan though because I kept accidentally loosening the drag when I was holding the reel. Not as comfortable to fish as a spinning in my opinion. But I will use anything I can to catch fish.

Brandonkop
09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Are they similar to a spin casting reel? ;)

yeah also known as spin casting.