PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Grayling in the Fall

Warmbreeze
09-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I was told of a place to catch some grayling. Will be a bit of an adventure to do but should be fun even if not true. Anyways, I was thinking Panther Martins and small spinners and spoons. Anybody try small jigs or bait?
I wouldn't mind trying flies but my only fly rod is 8 wt. I do have a setup that allows me to throw flies with spinning gear. What kinds of flies work? Match the hatch or what?

Also, is it worth fishing them in fall, might not be able to go until mid October. Is this too late for them? I am around the Wabasca area.

GWC
09-26-2013, 04:32 PM
I have had good luck using flies - Royal Coachman, mosquitos and black gnats. If they are there you will catch some.

C-GMIC
09-26-2013, 04:36 PM
im also working in around grabasqaw, try panther martens if your using spinning tackle, I have had great sucess, and grayling in the fall are usually quite scrappy. Enjoy Wab

Warmbreeze
09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Can you still catch them up until freeze up? I am hoping to try this weekend but if not I will not be able to try until mid October. I hope they don't migrate to the lakes by then.

Oh, and P.S.
Thank you for your responses! :)

mikeym
09-30-2013, 08:45 AM
depends on the river. the Little Smoky and Freeman, some of the best fishing is in fall as the grayling start to pool up for the winter. find the hole they are in and the fishing can be incredible.

other rivers like a lot of the little creeks that dump into the Athabasca, best time to fish them is right after opening weekend. they come out of the AthaB and start to migrate up the river. fall they tend to leave the creeks.

so depends on the river or creek you are thinking of fishing.

Rgds
Mike