PDA

View Full Version : The Leduc Reservoir Mystery Solved - Video Report

Brandonkop
09-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I never fished Leduc Reservoir before but always knew they stocked it every spring with rainbow trout. Over the years I have heard that some may overwinter and get to large sizes. I also read that this lake is notorious for sending anglers home with the SKUNK rather than a nice fat rainbow trout. I read every single AO message on this lake and nothing really ever reported back as a positive. So I made it my personal challenge to go there and catch some of those fat fish. I was determined not to take the skunk home with me. Since the reservoir is only 10 minutes from my In-laws farm it makes a quick outing. So I headed out early one frosty morning and launched my boat. I trolled and casted every lure known to man all over that piece of water for no bites. So around 2 pm I landed right where I launched and started to fish. Turns out that is where all the hungry fish were and I hooked up on seven but only got one on shore. Took him home for dinner and called it a day. Hope these tips in the video can also help you catch some of those fish on the reservoir. The fish was a fat 13 inch rainbow and full of water boatman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpB3Uo4XCRQ

Dacotensis
09-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Nice work.
Every time I drive past the work on the Henday near Sherwood park I think how nice it would be if all that heavy equipment would dig a huge pit that would eventually fill up and could be stocked.

I miss the days of being a kid and going down to broadmore pond for trout.

It looks like Leduc has a nice little recreation resource.

BGSH
09-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Excellent video.

RavYak
09-27-2013, 08:40 PM
If you played the fish out a little more you might have had more luck pulling them up onto shore. The one you did land for example you played out more while getting into position and he didn't fight/flop as much when you tried to pull him onto shore.

I was having the same issue when fishing out of my kayak. If I just try to horse them in and toss them in the kayak they almost always seem to flip off but if I let them swim around a little bit and tire themselves out they just lift right in.

Lefty-Canuck
09-27-2013, 08:48 PM
I have a feeling the residents of Leduc will mysteriously have pickerel rigs coming out of their taps before we know it! And the drinking water will have a hint of Power Bait taste :)

LC :)

BGSH
09-27-2013, 11:13 PM
I have a feeling the residents of Leduc will mysteriously have pickerel rigs coming out of their taps before we know it! And the drinking water will have a hint of Power Bait taste :)

LC :)

What are pic rigs? :thinking-006:

Winch101
09-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Doctor.....no net ...really....:angry3:

Sundancefisher
09-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Really good video. You are a fishing show star.

Brandonkop
09-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Doctor.....no net ...really....:angry3:

Haha, well I would have had to bring one from California... thats sort of difficult considering I already brought, the dingy and fish finder. Don't worry I like easy releases, just makes for not the greatest fishing show, haha. They're still there for you to catch.

1bluZebec
09-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Video and everything was awesome.

Game Hunter
09-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Good video. Reguardless of net or not.
Seems like you catch fish everywhere you go. I need some lessons from the doc on one of these lakes that I've been trying. you are well aware of. :)
Good vid like always.

Red Bullets
09-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I used to fish the 'Res' a few years ago. The biggest I ever caught there was 3 1/2 lbs. Unfortunately, he tasted sort of muddy. The younger fish are tastier.
Always had good luck with royal coachman, 52 buick, and green montana flies 6-7 feet behind a float. The north end near HWY 39 and the east wing are the deepest areas.

The cormerants eat alot of the stocked young fish I would think. One of the few places I have seen cormerants in flocks, as they aren't a native bird.

There is a rule of thumb with pothole trout. When there are no surface insects most of them are cruising and feeding within 10-15 feet of shore. Used to watch a finnish man catch all his fish within 5 feet of shore with bait and float (on the north end).

Brandonkop
09-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. I have fun making the videos.

Unfortunately, he tasted sort of muddy. The younger fish are tastier.

Red Bullets Did you ever catch them in that square portion where the water fountain is or always the old reservoir part?

Good video. Reguardless of net or not.
Seems like you catch fish everywhere you go. I need some lessons from the doc on one of these lakes that I've been trying. you are well aware of. :)
Good vid like always.

Klagore what lake are you trying to figure out? PM me I can maybe help you out if I've been there before.

Darren N
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Wow - i posted this a couple years ago. first one shows evidence of a fish caught gets a Schrute buck - too bad Office is not on anymore. Good job. I still would think it is tough to catch any fly fishing but there is some hope at least.

dragon
10-01-2013, 09:36 AM
I take the canoe out there with the little guy and have trolled spinners until the cows come home...

It was a good work out... that's bout it.

Darren N
10-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I remember fishing there 25-30 years ago. Much different lake smaller and more open shore line. They couldn't keep them off the hooks. Mostly Pic rigs and spin cast. Fly fishing was not that popular back then.

That picture video may of been the last fish I had seen out of there in over 20 years at least.

Brandonkop
10-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I remember fishing there 25-30 years ago. Much different lake smaller and more open shore line. They couldn't keep them off the hooks. Mostly Pic rigs and spin cast. Fly fishing was not that popular back then.

That picture video may of been the last fish I had seen out of there in over 20 years at least.

Haha, yeah people were shocked to see me catch fish. The most entertaining was a lady who stopped and said her husband wouldn't believe it and took a pic with her iPhone.

Red Bullets
10-02-2013, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=Brandonkop;2135092]
Red Bullets Did you ever catch them in that square portion where the water fountain is or always the old reservoir part?
QUOTE]

I have caught them all around the res. I found the north end most productive.

The square part is good too.

Used to catch fish down the creek when the spillway was there 30 years ago, and upstream when the creek used to run into the res from the golf course.

Brandonkop
10-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Sorry this is a bit late but finally getting around to making the video. Had so much footage from last trip. This was Day 2 at Leduc. Went out to Beaumont in the morning and lost two. One on a boatman and the other on a kastmaster. Then headed back to Leduc in the afternoon and caught two rainbows on a Thomas Buoyant Cyclone in red and gold, had a hit right at shore on a small rebel crankbait and a few other hits. Here is a video of the fishing at Leduc Res Day #2. The colors and leaves were amazing there made for really nice video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G_VTi-5A8I

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/LeducRes.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/LeducRes.jpg.html)

Fish pro
10-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Nice work! I drive by there every day wondering if anyone ever fishes there or has any luck. Keep up the good work! I think you just inspired a few anglers!

Brandonkop
10-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Nice work! I drive by there every day wondering if anyone ever fishes there or has any luck. Keep up the good work! I think you just inspired a few anglers!

Glad you liked it. Now I'm curious to try ice fishing for them. I wont be around till January though and the trout fishing through hard water has always seemed to taper off for me in late December. Maybe someone knows or has tried before. I'll have to give it a try.

alltoys
10-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Was out at Leduc yesterday catching them on chronomids excellent day of fishing.

waterninja
10-20-2013, 10:45 AM
not sure how i missed this thread. always enjoy the docs reports. only fished that pond once and caught some small bows. wasn't that great for shore fishing but was tempted to try again from a canoe. one of theese days.

Brandonkop
10-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Was out at Leduc yesterday catching them on chronomids excellent day of fishing.

Great nice to hear. I'll have to try that next time.

not sure how i missed this thread. always enjoy the docs reports. only fished that pond once and caught some small bows. wasn't that great for shore fishing but was tempted to try again from a canoe. one of these days.

Well I tried from a boat and didn't catch anything. But I'd probably change by tactics. I would just put the boat against the rushes and cast right along the shore as that is where they seemed to be cruising the most.