PDA

View Full Version : New fishing rod !

FishAb
09-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Hey guys I have this fishing rod ( fenwick highlander II) . And I honestl no nothing about it . I need some help , what's it for , what's it good for ,a good re for it , it's a 7 foot rod that I won. Thanks in advance !

Ruger1022
09-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Medium Action Spinning Rod, if you were to buy it not on sale maybe $70.

Probably may not be what you want to hear; but these fenwicks are super mass produced for chain stores i.e. Canadian Tire. They are of poor quality, bad workmanship, cheap carbon. Best not trying to catch pike on them but maybe some smaller trout..

Still the price for you was right..
Nice score.

waterninja
09-29-2013, 01:30 AM
congrats on your win. used/cared for properly that rod will last you years and i'm looking foreward to lots of pics.

FishAb
09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys , it may not be the best rod , but I got it free xD . This will be one of my backups . Thanks a lot guys !

fish gunner
09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
The Fenwick I have is a fly rod its a highlander 2, dont listen to the nay sayers they are f,o,s my 6/7 wt has landed pike to 15 lb, salmon 30lb and screaming kootaney bows to 12lb . Great rods ten years old now I think. mine sees streamers duty now. If your swayed by its too reasonable price to be good,pm Ill take it off your hand .

FishAb
09-29-2013, 02:54 PM
The Fenwick I have is a fly rod its a highlander 2, dont listen to the nay sayers they are f,o,s my 6/7 wt has landed pike to 15 lb, salmon 30lb and screaming kootaney bows to 12lb . Great rods ten years old now I think. mine sees streamers duty now. If your swayed by its too reasonable price to be good,pm Ill take it off your hand .

Thanks ! & sounds good !

RavYak
09-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Just don't set your drag too high and it should be good enough for pretty much anything you will catch in AB.

I used cheap Canadian Tire rods for years and although you do notice a difference upgrading to a good quality rod the cheap ones catch fish too.

Fishing rods are like televisions. It is nice to have a large screen high definition 1080p tv but a smaller standard definition tv gets the job done as well.

FishAb
09-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Yea ,I have good rods I use regularly , but hey I'll take a free one as well

Okotokian
09-30-2013, 12:28 AM

Geezle
09-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Medium Action Spinning Rod, if you were to buy it not on sale maybe $70.

Probably may not be what you want to hear; but these fenwicks are super mass produced for chain stores i.e. Canadian Tire. They are of poor quality, bad workmanship, cheap carbon. Best not trying to catch pike on them but maybe some smaller trout..

Still the price for you was right..
Nice score.

I have the same rod, only the 4 piece pack version, and although it's not a super high end rod, it's still a couple steps up on say a Berkley Lightening or the ol' standby Ugly Schtick.

Just don't set your drag too high and it should be good enough for pretty much anything you will catch in AB.

I used cheap Canadian Tire rods for years and although you do notice a difference upgrading to a good quality rod the cheap ones catch fish too.

Fishing rods are like televisions. It is nice to have a large screen high definition 1080p tv but a smaller standard definition tv gets the job done as well.

Yep, it should handle most of what we get in these here parts. My 4 piece used to get a lot of use on the river, and I've brought in plenty of walleye, goldeye, and some surprisingly large pike (12lb-15lb range) on it with no problems :)

Just remember it's a bit on the light side so you can't horse 'em in. If it was me I'd probably use it mainly as a walleye rod :)