PDA

View Full Version : Hello new member/fisherman here

slickinfinite
09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
I recently moved to Canmore from Ontario and well I like fishin lol. I've been to a few spots n caught some ok sized trout n whitefish so far but could use some more specific info if anyone could help of a few things.

First is Genmore reservoir in Calgary, I fished there one day in a rented canoe and didnt get a single bite but I was told frm someone I wasnt using big enough lures because there is big pike in there? I was using 1/4 oz 5 black diamond len thomson spoon. With live bait bans everywhere I cant fish the way I am used to so I am trying spoons now which are new to me so any help or info on what to use in glenmore reservoir would be appreciated.

I have found one nice fishing spot I rarely see anyone use but I never catch really big ones there but I do see them because its a part of a creek off spray lakes that seems to concentrate lots of trout/whitties and I always get 3/5 fish per hour with the len thomson black diamond spoon (only thing I seem to get bits with in spray). IMO its a good spot for gettin eating size whitefish and the odd lake trout, the biggest caught there was from my friend and was almost 3 lbs.

The Bow river, there has to be fish in there? I've fished it with spoons many times but never seemed to get bits? Seen jumps and stuff but what works best for getting big trout on the Bow and when seems to be?

Last is Gap lake grotto pond? any info on them also would be helpful and sorry for all the questions I just want to get as much info as I can about the area and where is best to fish.

jesse34567
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
for the glenmore resivore i would suggest using a red daredevil also i have some info on hots pots on the lake here is the link

http://www.anglersatlas.com/lakes/googlemap/7790/

SuCraM
09-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Stay away from the glenmore resevoir if you live in Canmore. Try flyfishing and stick with the bow. I fish the bow in Calgary and almost always catch fish on my outings.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Welcome to Alberta , Im not a big trout fishermen so Cant give you to much advice except Dynamite works well . :lol::lol::lol: But thats what Treeguy and Redneck posse told me . Anyway welcome to the Board .

slickinfinite
09-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Stay away from the glenmore resevoir if you live in Canmore. Try flyfishing and stick with the bow. I fish the bow in Calgary and almost always catch fish on my outings.

Whats the reason you dont recomend Glenmore? I did see a lot of fishermen there that day and I personally didnt catch or see anything caught but I was told that there is lots of fish in there? Ice out is suposedly the best time to go ?

JDC
09-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Try some smaller Mepps or Panter Martin spinners on the Bow also give the reservoir by the Nordic center a go, I've pulled fish out of there before.

SuCraM
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Whats the reason you dont recomend Glenmore? I did see a lot of fishermen there that day and I personally didnt catch or see anything caught but I was told that there is lots of fish in there? Ice out is suposedly the best time to go ?
Ya there are numbers of fish in there but the only good time to go is after ice out and I never get a chance. I would much rather fish the bow which usually always produces good numbers of fish and is a much closer drive.

slickinfinite
09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Try some smaller Mepps or Panter Martin spinners on the Bow also give the reservoir by the Nordic center a go, I've pulled fish out of there before.

Tried the Res near Nordic center and we see lots of decent trout following our lures and landed a decent brook trout that was released and caught a few more smaller trout, lake/brook up the trail to spray lakes in the little channel inlet we found but all in all I think I'll fish that reservoir alot n ty for the tip. My friends and I have driven past it many times and never thought to plunk a few lures in:ashamed: lol.

Also tried Glenmore reservoir again, seen lots of jumps near where the elbow flows in and that is my fav spot atm, still didnt catch nothing but my friend had a fish on but it got off lol. We like to fish but by no means are pros lol but I guess ustill can catch fish because we seen someone nab a small pike and other people said they caught as well so might not be like ice out but there is still a chance lol. Coming from ontario where fishing is easy imo because of the spots and baits you can use I am really starting to like Alberta's fishing it is more challenging and I hope to master it!