PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing

FishAb
09-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Hey guys , just a quick lil question , what is a good fly fishing combo for a decent price , looking into getting one and want some opinions
Thanks

Norman
09-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Not sure where you live but the fishin hole has some good combos, it really all depends on what type of water you want to fish and what species of fish you want to catch. You can't go wrong with a tfo combo

trigger7mm
09-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Check out e-bay. there are some excellent deals to be had. I just got a TFO 4 wt. combo at 40 % off. Best deals out there.

tight line
09-29-2013, 10:19 PM
TFO definately has some good combo set ups for a decent price. go to a store, whip some rods, look at the price tags... Buy what feels good and you can afford! Ive held 500 dollar fly rods that i didnt like the feel of... Lol

scel
09-30-2013, 12:06 AM
It is hard to recommend a good set up without knowing...
1. Do you have any experience fly fishing?
1. Where you will be fishing? i.e. what kind of fish will you be catching
2. How often will you be fly fishing?

TFO is a good set up (perhaps best bang-for-buck), but they are fast action rods that can be unforgiving to the beginner. TFO is perfect for someone who has taken a class or has already learned how to cast.

If you are serious about it, and you are in Southern Alberta, go to a Fly Shop (Country Pleasures or Fish Tales are 2 outstanding stores). They will take care of you. Fly Shops are the exact same price (if not cheaper) than Bass Pro, and the staff eat&sleep&breath fly fishing.

Fly fishing has more intricacies than spin-casting. I taught my best friend this summer. His analysis: "Fly fishing is fun. Once you get over the technicalities of casting, jargon, and using hella-tiny hooks, it is at least as fun as spin casting. However, I can clearly see that the enjoyment comes from committing yourself to it to understand the nuances."

Answer the questions. Good luck. :)

Okotokian
09-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Somebody help me her with the name... but there is a little (generally expensive) fly shop in downtown Calgary on 1st Street I think... the one good deal they do have is for about $250 you get a one day course and get to keep the fly rod combo.

oh, and if you can only get one set-up, get a 6 weight, 4 piece, 9' rod, floating line, and any old reel. Good to go about anywhere in alberta for fish short of lake trout or pike.

Flieguy
09-30-2013, 06:27 AM
there are plenty of good beginner combos available:

Redington crosswater

snowbee classic

echo solo

the list goes on and on. some even come with tools and line. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with an echo solo outfit. I think fishtales has them.

you can also go to any decent shop and give them your price range and they should be able to set you up with a good mix and match. That's what I did. My first combo was a pflueger trion rod and okuma sierra reel.

Flieguy
09-30-2013, 06:30 AM
I forgot TFO! I also have a couple TFO rods that are great value for the price.

BBT
09-30-2013, 10:34 AM
I would say "go big or go home" This combo would work well for you for years to come :scared0018:

http://www.vintageflytackle.com/products/lyle-dickerson-model-6611-bamboo-rod-66-2-2-3-4wt

http://www.vintageflytackle.com/products/bogdan-model-200-fly-reel-rhw

wags
09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
http://www.vintageflytackle.com/products/lyle-dickerson-model-6611-bamboo-rod-66-2-2-3-4wt

For $13,500, I would think it should last several lifetimes!

Norman
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I would say "go big or go home" This combo would work well for you for years to come :scared0018:

http://www.vintageflytackle.com/products/bogdan-model-200-fly-reel-rhw

My wallet cried when I looked at that price , I'd be scared to take it out and actually fish with it

Bjay
09-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Remember

In Alberta the wind blows. Buy nothing less than a 5 weight for your first rod. Minimum 9 feet
Columbia Old Guy

Unclerj
10-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Somebody help me her with the name... but there is a little (generally expensive) fly shop in downtown Calgary on 1st Street I think... the one good deal they do have is for about $250 you get a one day course and get to keep the fly rod combo.

oh, and if you can only get one set-up, get a 6 weight, 4 piece, 9' rod, floating line, and any old reel. Good to go about anywhere in alberta for fish short of lake trout or pike.

Hanson's Fishing Outfitters. $200 for the whole set-up including a day of instruction on the banks of the Bow.

I did it earlier this year with a family member starting out. Well worth the price paid. I bought my first rod at BPS for about the same amount and can tell you that the one they include with the course is MUCH better.

And I don't work there or get referrals either.

rossi
10-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Got to agree Unclerj did the same thing this year with Hansons fly fishing boot camp. Had a blast the reason I took the course was to get out of some bad habits I had developed as I was self taught. The course and Rod for 200 was well worth it improved casting and learned some new tricks. May just take son in the spring. The rod is very nice and good quality.