PDA

View Full Version : SRD Meeting for Travers Res.

chubbdarter
09-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Terry Clayton has called a regulation meeting concerning Travers Res. for 7pm,Wednesday- Oct 9th at the Vulcan Legion building.
The main focus of the meeting will be to discuss Walleye harvest regulations for Travers Reservoir.
Meeting is Open to the Public

Kokanee9
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Terry Clayton has called a regulation meeting concerning Travers Res. for 7pm,Wednesday- Oct 9th at the Vulcan Legion building.
The main focus of the meeting will be to discuss Walleye harvest regulations for Travers Reservoir.

Thanks for the info.

MoFugger21
09-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Interested to see what comes of this.... Should be there.

bubba 96
09-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Interested to see what comes of this.... Should be there.

Probably another tagged lake...

jacenbeers
09-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Hopefully they either reduce it to a zero limit or increase pressure from F&W in the area. There is no way that the amount of poaching that happens at Travers can lead to a sustainable fishery.

npauls
09-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I have heard rumors that it is going to a zero keep limit similar to Mcgregor.

MoFugger21
09-30-2013, 03:44 PM
For anyone planning on going, here is where the legion is located.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/VulcanMap_zpsa9d350c1.jpg (http://s742.photobucket.com/user/MoFugger21/media/VulcanMap_zpsa9d350c1.jpg.html)

sonny42
09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
At the round table meeting in Leth. last spring Terry seemed to want a daily limit reduced from 3 walleye to 1 walleye at 55cm. or a second option of putting Travers on a tag system,.

Kyle
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Would be nice to see a slot size put into place...

huntsfurfish
09-30-2013, 11:15 PM
At the round table meeting in Leth. last spring Terry seemed to want a daily limit reduced from 3 walleye to 1 walleye at 55cm. or a second option of putting Travers on a tag system,.

Going to a 1 fish over 55 makes sense to me(should be tried prior to tags). With further monitoring of course.

Winch101
10-01-2013, 07:05 AM
I,m with Jacen on this one...too many illegal fish being kept...

1 over 55 ,you better not be a fish eater , it's gonna take a few years

For the flood contaminants to work through....

recce43
10-01-2013, 07:40 AM
slot is the best way to go the bigger ones are the breading stock so taking anything over 55cm is not a good thing

Winch101
10-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Sorry about the double post.....just wondering if anyone is going

Just to express their dissatisfaction with SRD in general ,cause

You know they have already made up their mind. If I knew this was going

To be a protest against mismanagement and lack of Funding , I,d

Be there in a heart beat ... Maybe invite PETA just to spice it up.

Definitely need the Sun News there as they are pro hunting .

the local angler
10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
i would like to see more enforcement,

Unregistered user
10-01-2013, 07:49 PM
^ Especially every Saturday evening at the Provincial park boat docks, size and quantity limits? R.O.R.!

missingtwo
10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
slot is the best way to go the bigger ones are the breading stock so taking anything over 55cm is not a good thing

EXACTLY!!!

By the way, no regulations will stop poaching. Only reporting by the public and enforcement by SRD will do that.

Winch101
10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Anybody who can report on this meeting

MoFugger21
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
It's not for another 6 days

the local angler
10-03-2013, 04:59 PM
also have to be discret on reporting and such as that one guy got his ass whooped by the poachers that saw him. rcmp investigated and was on the news but not sure what became of that incident.

Winch101
10-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I was right there when that happened ,interesting car chase?...

Never did see any law enforcement ..

sonny42
10-05-2013, 11:09 PM
No one tried to help this man.

thenaturalwoodsman
10-06-2013, 07:23 AM
I was right there when that happened ,interesting car chase?...

Never did see any law enforcement ..

Winch101 if your so worried about the poaching and damages to lake why wouldn't you help out in this situation.

Maybe you are the problem?

sonny42
10-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Winch101 if your so worried about the poaching and damages to lake why wouldn't you help out in this situation.

Well said.

lochness
10-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Time for them to stock walleyes just like they do with trouts?

HOGSLAYER
10-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Best comment I have read in years.:)

huntsfurfish
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM

No need if there is good recruitment. Stocking without a need is a waste of money, time and resources.

Winch101
10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
stocking EID reservoirs in the south is complicated ....the EID is a kingdom
On to itself ,operates outside provincial laws .....has no responses to any
Kind of sport Fishing dilemma ...They sell water ....period .

Very difficult to keep walleyes in stocked reservoirs ,the way they are
Operated here ....Fishing or no Fishing , boating or no Boating ....the
EID could care less .....don't believe ,call them about denying access
To certain res. by draining them ...You then will see who you are dealing with.

Best way to catch walleye is with hip waders and a net in those canals they
Drain off in the fall ...

huntsfurfish
10-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Most reservoirs in the south are operated much better than they used to be in regards to fish.

SMRID try to maintain steady levels for the spawn periods which has helped greatly. Better recruitment as a result.

Reservoirs water priority is not given to fish first and should not be. First priority is to drinking supply then irrigation. Fishing/fish is third(or fourth).

Getting old can remember priorities.:)

thenaturalwoodsman
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Winch101........well?

WayneChristie
10-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Winch101........well?

Personally I think its much more benefical to our fisheries if 2 people get theirs asses kicked rather than just one. :fighting0030:

thenaturalwoodsman
10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Personally I think its much more benefical to our fisheries if 2 people get theirs asses kicked rather than just one. :fighting0030:

Oh okay Mr.Christie............Since you want to speak for Winch101.

Maybe you can explain it for us. He has this thread plus another thread with a "poll" and 1 of the options is "Enforce poaching"

Meanwhile he was there when there were people poaching, and then he says there was a car chase????? He doesn't bother to help, or phone cops or anything.

In my opinion if he would have put as much effort in that day with the poacher's, as he has with this 'internet drivel' he might have saved a few walleye.

npauls
10-07-2013, 05:51 PM

Maybe you can explain it for us. He has this thread plus another thread with a "poll" and 1 of the options is "Enforce poaching"

Meanwhile he was there when there were people poaching, and then he says there was a car chase????? He doesn't bother to help, or phone cops or anything.

In my opinion if he would have put as much effort in that day with the poacher's, as he has with this 'internet drivel' he might have saved a few walleye.

It could have been possible that Winch was out in his boat while the car chase was going on and viewed it from his boat in a zone with no cell service. By the time he got packed up and drove his boat to a spot on the lake with service the people would have been long gone. Which is the main reason there is a problem down near the spillway.

If there was a cell tower put up somewhere down there they would probably pay for its construction in fines in the first month.

It may not be that a guy doesn't want to help in that situation. It may be that there wasn't a real possibility of helping.

WayneChristie
10-07-2013, 06:23 PM

so tell me what you would do, really, pull out a gun? go chuck norris? pray? 2 out of 3 just breaking another law to enforce another law. maybe you are 6 foot 8 and could clean up all the bad guys with one hand. still breaking the law. or just do what you are doing on the forum, stand around and talk to them, maybe they would see the error of their ways and put all the fish back, bandage the other guys wounds, shake his hand and walk away better men for the experience. All I see from you and your buddies is why didnt you do this, you are the problem because you didnt help him. BS the guys breaking the law are the problem. do you phone in every license plate of every vehicle you see speeding, running a stop sign, not signalling a lane change.? or standing on the corner smoking a joint, taking 10 items through the express line? if you arent grabbing your phone you are part of the problem according to your logic.

Winch101
10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I was on the gravel between lil bow res .and travers dam ....
Single guy in a truck just about takes me out on a hill ,2 mins later
3guys in a truck in hot pursuit .....I pulled right over off the road .

Not 5 mins later the first guy right on his tail the 3 guys ....
Estimated speed well over 100 Klicks .. I don't know what to think .

It was on here the next day that was reported guy was beaten by 3 men.
About the same time in the afternoon ....this happened...put 2and 1 together
Got 4 ....from the story on here .....these were victim and assailants.

Gust
10-07-2013, 06:50 PM
I was on the gravel between lil bow res .and travers dam ....
Single guy in a truck just about takes me out on a hill ,2 mins later 3guys in a truck in hot pursuit .....I pulled right over off the road .

Not 5 mins later the first guy right on his tail the 3 guys .... Estimated speed well over 100 Klicks .. I don't know what to think .

It was on here the next day that was reported guy was beaten by 3 men. About the same time in the afternoon ....this happened...put 2and 1 together, Got 4 ....from the story on here .....these were victim and assailants.

That's actually some scary crap,, but I'm sure the flaxen haired woodsman would of held up his end and stood his ground, halting the vehicle long enough to take down the particulars of the license plate, and then ask for I.D's from each of the poachers.

Well, I mean, that would have been going on in his head as he lay unconscious as the poachers put the boots to his head.

thenaturalwoodsman
10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Wayne you must run into this all the time at the forks, I mean I have seen 300-400 people down there on the average weekend, but I guess you don't care if there is poaching, things getting wrecked, stolen, etc. as long your catching your Qouta of sturgeon.

ps. I am guessing the average report a poacher call usually don't turn violent like the above story? Sounds to me like there may be a little more to this particular story? By the way I never said confront anyone, but yes rather than bitching and moaning about poachers on an internet chat, next time phone F&W or call the RCMP and tell them you were run off the road. If not the only other option is let poachers be poachers and suck it up, but also don't b1tch about them on here.

WayneChristie
10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
300 to 400? must have been standing on each others shoulders! Been there all summer and I doubt Ive seen that many people total. if I see something Id report it, but most poachers take care that people dont see them, at least where I fish. Havent seen anything getting wrecked other than the flood damage, as for stolen, nope, other than bait. I dont have a quota of sturgeon, I just catch what I catch.

Winch101
10-08-2013, 07:46 AM
And you know this how......?.

dodger
10-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I'll visit tomorrow and check if the derail continues or if we are back on topic.

Cheers!

Dodger.

MoFugger21
10-09-2013, 09:11 AM

For anyone planning on going, here is where the legion is located.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/VulcanMap_zpsa9d350c1.jpg (http://s742.photobucket.com/user/MoFugger21/media/VulcanMap_zpsa9d350c1.jpg.html)

Bump.

Hope to see some guys there tonight!

huntsfurfish
10-09-2013, 05:05 PM
ttt

Gslice
10-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Anyone care to share what went down last night?

MoFugger21
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I'll try and sum it up:
- Terry Clayton made a presentation on their net testing data from 2011
- Some guys got impatient and told Terry to "get to the point!"
- Terry Clayton's recommendation was to close the harvest of walleye
- Terry also said he would listen to what the group thought
- Lot's of guys up in arms - 'How dare you completely close the walleye harvest' type of thing, and "this lake will never open to walleye harvest again if it's closed"
- Lots of guys couldn't understand why or how Terry could go from a 3 over 50cm limit right to C&R, so Terry then referred everyone to the data that was skipped over because the same guys needed "get to the point"
- The data shows that there is a lack of mature fish in Travers
- Talk from the crowd was to go to a 1 over 55cm walleye harvest
- Seemed like the majority of people there were pushing for the 1 over 55cm idea
- Major recommendation from the crowd is to close the spillway completely for fishing - 100 yards north, west, and south
- Many people believe closing the spillway to fishing will help with the poaching problem, as well as protect an "easy/high" catch area
- Terry seemed receptive to the closing of the spillway
- There was also talk of completely closing the west arm to fishing as well. From where the current buoy markers are for the June 1 opening to all the way up the river

So, the decision for Terry Clayton and his supervisor come down to:
- C&R for walleye
- 1 over 55cm

And it sounds like Terry is going to push for the spillway closure, regardless of the retention regulation.

If I had to guess, I'd say Travers will go to a C&R walleye fishery. And from the data shown, it looks as though that is what the reservoir needs. If that happens, then so be it. As someone mentioned to me last night after the meeting, I'd rather Terry Clayton go to far on the safe side, and be able to come back and say maybe C&R was a little unnecessary, than continuing to allow a harvest and then it being too late to do anything and the fishery collapsing.

We'll see what happens. And judging from the meeting last night, if it goes to C&R there are going to be some very unhappy people, that I can say........ I won't be one of them though.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I thought Terry Clayton did well during the meeting considering he was walking into a lions den.

Winch101
10-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Just wondering if anything said about water quality after the flood .

One over 55 should about take care of any breeding stock , close the spillway

Good , what was said about poaching ,...Unfortunately I am doing some

Home renos ,couldn't get away .....but sounds like Terry understood how the

Anglers feel. I would love to see that data on test netting it's full of it , , the data had to

Fit the closing of the creek. Till June 1 because they already committed before they had any info ...to make the Sawt guys happy ,why I don't know

Just another Tories **** show , all these closures do is make semi legal
Guys poachers....

I think the place is going to be toxic for a couple of years....will have to give the Pooeyes a rest ...

Any obvious loudmouth tree hugging anti fishing PETA guys there ....
That closing the west arm crap.....sounds pretty petaish to me.

Dan Foss
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Here here. Great summary of the meeting as well as the presentation/data. Honestly, sucks to see another lake shut down to harvest completely, but the stats being what they are with the populations and lack of mature fish relative to those populations..... I Agree that the closure is probably what is needed and say in 3/4 years they do another netting and say c&r was a little extreme and open to harvest again then awesome.

What I really don't want to see is it going to a 1 over 55 and then in 4 years they come back and say "there has been no improvement in mature fish relative to population". And then we are forced move to catch and release due to desperation cause we spent the last 4 years harvesting the fish in the size range that we are trying to save

I also agree terry did a good job presenting the data and making it applicable to the major concerns of the lake.

I'll try and sum it up:
- Lot's of guys up in arms - 'How dare you completely close the walleye harvest' type of thing, and "this lake will never open to walleye harvest again if it's closed"
- Lots of guys couldn't understand why or how Terry could go from a 3 over 50cm limit right to C&R, so Terry then referred everyone to the data that was skipped over because the same guys needed "get to the point"
- Seemed like the majority of people there were pushing for the 1 over 55cm idea
- Major recommendation from the crowd is to close the spillway completely for fishing - 100 yards north, west, and south
- Many people believe closing the spillway to fishing will help with the poaching problem, as well as protect an "easy/high" catch area
- There was also talk of completely closing the west arm to fishing as well. From where the current buoy markers are for the June 1 opening to all the way up the river

- C&R for walleye
- 1 over 55cm

And it sounds like Terry is going to push for the spillway closure, regardless of the retention regulation.

If I had to guess, I'd say Travers will go to a C&R walleye fishery. And from the data shown, it looks as though that is what the reservoir needs. If that happens, then so be it. As someone mentioned to me last night after the meeting, I'd rather Terry Clayton go to far on the safe side, and be able to come back and say maybe C&R was a little unnecessary, than continuing to allow a harvest and then it being too late to do anything and the fishery collapsing.

We'll see what happens. And judging from the meeting last night, if it goes to C&R there are going to be some very unhappy people, that I can say........ I won't be one of them though.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I thought Terry Clayton did well during the meeting considering he was walking into a lions den.

sonny42
10-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Anglers feel. I would love to see that data on test netting it's full of it , , the data had to

Fit the closing of the creek. Till June 1 because they already committed before they had any info ...to make the Sawt guys happy ,why I don't know

Just another Tories **** show , all these closures do is make semi legal
Guys poachers....

I think the place is going to be toxic for a couple of years....will have to give the Pooeyes a rest ...

Fit the closing of the creek. till June 1 because they already committed before they had any info...to make the SAWT guys happy, why in don,t know. The closure of the creek had nothing to do with SAWT. It was Walleye Unlimited that was the force on that decision,

Gslice
10-10-2013, 11:04 AM
i don't see why they can't open mcgregor walleye harvest the same time they close travers walleye retention. Seems like a rotation program will do both the fishery and anglers some good...

Also, did he say he was going to post the data results somewhere online for the rest of us to see?

MoFugger21
10-10-2013, 11:14 AM
i don't see why they can't open mcgregor walleye harvest the same time they close travers walleye retention. Seems like a rotation program will do both the fishery and anglers some good...

Also, did he say he was going to post the data results somewhere online for the rest of us to see?

McGregor was brought up during the meeting. Terry Clayton did say that he had thought about and looked at opening McGregor to some type of walleye harvest. He said when he looked at the numbers though, he still didn't think the fishery could handle a harvest. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Terry said that only 50 tags would be available if it went to a tagging system, and that for only 50 tags it would not be worth it.

And below is the whole data set from the testing done in 2011 on Travers. There were info packages handed out last night (a 10 or 11 pg summary), and this is where the info was pulled from.

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/FisheriesManagement/FallWalleyeIndexNetting/IndexNetSurveyReports/documents/TraversReservoir-FallWalleyeIndexNetting-2011.pdf

Gslice
10-10-2013, 11:28 AM
thanks mo.

Did he say when these implementations will take place? Chances are, I'm thinking it will be applied at the start of next season.

MoFugger21
10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
thanks mo.

Did he say when these implementations will take place? Chances are, I'm thinking it will be applied at the start of next season.

Ya, something will be in place for April 1, 2014. There will be no more 3 walleye retention in Travers come next year.

Some guys last night were talking about a round table meeting on Oct 19, so it sounded like whatever recommendation Terry was offering would be presented at the meeting. I believe that's what I heard anyways...

huntsfurfish
10-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Seems like some guys on here had/have lots to say. Then why didn't you come to the meeting? Only 2 hours of your time.

Pressure was on to go to 1 over, but it still may not happen.

Personally, I don't think it is that close to a collapse. More data is needed. One Data set (2011) on a large reservoir is not (in my opinion) good enough to base a closure. Reservoir fish are very mobile. It would have been interesting to have info on the day they test netted as well. In particular wind direction, water temp, air temp and barometric pressure from at least 2 days before to 2 after. Unfortunately I did not bring that up at the meeting. Another issue that I should have brought up was water levels during spawn times. Being reservoir fish, here are other spawning habitat besides the river. Draw downs and fills dramatically affect spawning success.

They/we need to get a handle on 0(fry) to 2 year old fish. To see if recruitment is good.

Going to one over with another data set this coming year is in order and would not risk the fishery much more(providing they close the spillway area). Id bet that 30 to 60 percent of fish caught on Travers are caught at the spillway.

Disappointed at the turnout, not many people for such an important issue.

Thanks Terry, was a good meeting.

huntsfurfish
10-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Fit the closing of the creek. Till June 1 because they already committed before they had any info ...to make the Sawt guys happy ,why I don't know Just another Tories **** show , all these closures do is make semi legal
Guys poachers....

You could have come and voiced your concerns.

Because we are concerned about the fishery just like you!!!

steelhead
10-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Just another classic Alberta case of the law abiding individuals being punished for the actions of poachers, flawed data, inside the box bio's, and lack of governmental interest and money to the real problems.

Welcome to the world of law abiding victims. Where there is NO ONE to help us.

The Alberta way. Make it up as we go along and shut it all down. Never ever use working examples from states and provinces that make it work, and have done so for decades in overpopulated regions with similar, to much higher pressure than this province as a whole.

The government, poachers, and "flawed data" clayton can all stick it in their creel!

STEELHEAD

TROLLER
10-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Just another classic Alberta case of the law abiding individuals being punished for the actions of poachers, flawed data, inside the box bio's, and lack of governmental interest and money to the real problems.

Welcome to the world of law abiding victims. Where there is NO ONE to help us.

The Alberta way. Make it up as we go along and shut it all down. Never ever use working examples from states and provinces that make it work, and have done so for decades in overpopulated regions with similar, to much higher pressure than this province as a whole.

The government, poachers, and "flawed data" clayton can all stick it in their creel!

STEELHEAD

FEEL BETTER NOW:love0025:

Winch101
10-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Please tell me the name of the lake that was closed due to collapse
And later opened to general fishing and limits . NOT tags ,which is
Just another money grabbing ploy for the general revenue slush fund.

The name has slipped my mind...of that lake they reopened to everyday limits.if they close travers ....you can bend
Over and kiss another one goodbye .

If you belong to any organization that claims to have the benefit of sport fishing at heart ....in Alberta and have stood by and watched the last ten years
Of gong show with the SRD as the main act....you should be ashamed of yourself. We are the laughing stock of most people involved in this resource
Industry in Canada ....There's no other place that the Prov. Govt could pull this
Crap and get away with it.

Every time I have posted on here about the lack of legal fish in Travers
Some bone head comes on and tells me I don't know what I,m doing
Blah blah blah... They can catch them all day long...blah blah

WELL. WE want them back.....those keepers.

You know and I know you will not be able to keep a fish in Alberta
Without paying through the nose....

Too many people have no faith in this govt.....they think the laws are stupid
And don't apply to them.....Just like crawling valley ,Travers will be the
New poachers heaven....

These govt types like Clayton ,they don't really want your Imput ,
They have their mind made up.....one test netting ,that's it.
That's their data ....please moronic.

I,ve caught a thousand fish in that creek .....not one milter ,
When they originally started talking about protecting the spawning areas .
And closing the creek ...I knew it was ass wipe time.

David Suzuki clones at work.....

Vote Wild Rose and get everyone in the SRD fired.....

sonny42
10-10-2013, 05:59 PM

The name has slipped my mind...of that lake they reopened to everyday limits.if they close travers ....you can bend

If you belong to any organization that claims to have the benefit of sport fishing at heart ....in Alberta and have stood by and watched the last ten years
Of gong show with the SRD as the main act....you should be ashamed of yourself. We are the laughing stock of most people involved in this resource
Industry in Canada ....There's no other place that the Prov. Govt could pull this

New poachers heaven....

1 Reservoir that was closed for a number of years then reopened to the general public at 1 walleye of 55 cm. or larger, was Milk River Ridge Res.
And instead of bad mouthing the system and the people involved why do you not show when it counts at the meeting at Vulcan and voice your opinion and get some answers, We do care a lot about the fisheries that is why we show up and are counted.

thenaturalwoodsman
10-10-2013, 07:09 PM

New poachers heaven....

WOW.......It's official you need medication........................................ ..

lochness
10-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Sound to me that shore fishing people are poachers. Why not close all the shore line then. What about poachers on boats? Easier to poach from boat than on land is it not?

huntsfurfish
10-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Sound to me that shore fishing people are poachers. Why not close all the shore line then. What about poachers on boats? Easier to poach from boat than on land is it not?

The recommendation is to move the buoys out another 100 yards. Hope to make it a little tougher on shore fishermen and boaters!

And it is also to make it tougher for fishermen in general, not just poachers. A huge amount of fish are caught at the spillway!

huntsfurfish
10-10-2013, 08:54 PM
1 Reservoir that was closed for a number of years then reopened to the general public at 1 walleye of 55 cm. or larger, was Milk River Ridge Res.
And instead of bad mouthing the system and the people involved why do you not show when it counts at the meeting at Vulcan and voice your opinion and get some answers, We do care a lot about the fisheries that is why we show up and are counted.
Agree,

lochness
10-10-2013, 09:18 PM
The recommendation is to move the buoys out another 100 yards. Hope to make it a little tougher on shore fishermen and boaters!

And it is also to make it tougher for fishermen in general, not just poachers. A huge amount of fish are caught at the spillway!

Poachers are already don't care about the law, they'll poach where they want to poach, moving buoys only penalize those that follow the law. To me the spillway is like a fish finder on a boat, why not ban fish finders?

MoFugger21
10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Poachers are already don't care about the law, they'll poach where they want to poach, moving buoys only penalize those that follow the law. To me the spillway is like a fish finder on a boat, why not ban fish finders?

Good idea

huntsfurfish
10-11-2013, 01:24 AM

Go for it!

Its not just poaching that is hard on the fish. Sometimes laws need to change.:)

AK47
10-11-2013, 08:44 AM
I think I will go to Travers this weekend to say goodbye to one of the favorite lakes and catch my last 3 keepers before it turns into catch and release nonsense.

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
I think I will go to Travers this weekend to say goodbye to one of the favorite lakes and catch my last 3 keepers before it turns into catch and release nonsense.

Why is exactly is it "nonsense" in your mind?

Winch101
10-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Here's a tip for Travers. Don't drink the water , or let your best friend
Drink , Dog Or Wife ....Actually don't touch it ,wear rubber gloves .
Maybe mask up against airborne spores ....but have a good time .

Contamination is also Prov Govt ,s fault ...lack of action in high river
On flood diversion for last 40 yrs.. You gotta admit ,the Consetvative
Legacy for this province ,isn't what most people thought it would be .

Hi I,m a Tory and I poisoned almost all the province .....Goodnight.

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 09:20 AM

What in the world are you babbling about...?

Pudelpointer
10-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Howdy,

I don't fish Travers, and am not up to speed on the situation (other than what has been presented here). Maybe someone can add some detail regarding the data that was presented?

Am I correct in my understanding that a FWIN was undertaken in the fall of 2011, and it showed no (low numbers of) mature fish? When was the last FWIN, and what were the numbers then?

I am afraid that it is business as usual in AB: crap data equals crap statistics equals crap decisions. As usual, biologists are "consulting" with AB residents with their decision already made (a decision that is made necessary by a significant lack of government support and funding), instead of coming to the table with an open mind to try other solutions.

Sad.

huntsfurfish
10-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Howdy,

crap data equals crap statistics equals crap decisions. As usual, biologists are "consulting" with AB residents with their decision already made (a decision that is made necessary by a significant lack of government support and funding), instead of coming to the table with an open mind to try other solutions.

Sad.

This I can agree with!

Winch101
10-11-2013, 10:12 AM
PP for a guy who hasn't been following along your astute sense of correctness
Is astounding....you got it , another bend over Alberta Outdoorsman....

I don't know why this is so hard to follow , bigger letters , more spacing
Let me know....

To respond to why I wasn't at the meeting but will be at the next one .

I am not pro fishing so much as anti Government....I,m pro walleye

Eating , this is why I founded the Fish and Fry Club ( both verbs )

The idea that walleyes are for catching and eating usually makes for a very

Short conversation with any govt Fish Biologist I have spoken to .

My favourite fishing product manufacturer is Planters...

I had this very same go round 20 odd years ago ....when the then

Manitoba Tories started to up the fees and reduce the limits on the advice

Of some fish egg freak newly arrived from the maritimes ...Though

The fish and game clubs were somewhat militant the old boys soon went

Back to the rocking chairs and beer . They took their beating .....

The hard core angler all agreed bad laws......answer .....do not participate

Poach On....and really not to belabour the point .....all those cow

Paddies floating around the boat launch don't say fish fry to me ..

huntsfurfish
10-11-2013, 10:36 AM
If all fishermen were pro eating Winch101, there would be none left or everything would be on a tag system!

You criticize all of it, but have offered no helpful suggestions.:snapoutofit:

We do not have the water/fish that other provinces have but we sure have lots of fishermen.

Gslice
10-11-2013, 10:38 AM
PP for a guy who hasn't been following along your astute sense of correctness
Is astounding....you got it , another bend over Alberta Outdoorsman....

I don't know why this is so hard to follow , bigger letters , more spacing
Let me know....

To respond to why I wasn't at the meeting but will be at the next one .

I am not pro fishing so much as anti Government....I,m pro walleye

Eating , this is why I founded the Fish and Fry Club ( both verbs )

The idea that walleyes are for catching and eating usually makes for a very

Short conversation with any govt Fish Biologist I have spoken to .

My favourite fishing product manufacturer is Planters...

I had this very same go round 20 odd years ago ....when the then

Manitoba Tories started to up the fees and reduce the limits on the advice

Of some fish egg freak newly arrived from the maritimes ...Though

The fish and game clubs were somewhat militant the old boys soon went

Back to the rocking chairs and beer . They took their beating .....

The hard core angler all agreed bad laws......answer .....do not participate

Poach On....and really not to belabour the point .....all those cow

Paddies floating around the boat launch don't say fish fry to me ..

Can you write actual coherent sentences... I can't seem to get a grasp of the point you're trying to get across.
Either way. Their decision is made and we can't change anything at this point. What happened here is the result of a ripple effect that will continue to propagate as long as alberta is continuing to attract workers from all over the world. If you're just upset that you are no longer able to catch a keeper walleye in this reservoir, the solution would be to target other species of fish. Otherwise, I don't see how blaming the liberals for their lack of management is helping this thread.

huntsfurfish
10-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Can you write actual coherent sentences... I can't seem to get a grasp of the point you're trying to get across.
Either way. Their decision is made and we can't change anything at this point. What happened here is the result of a ripple effect that will continue to propagate as long as alberta is continuing to attract workers from all over the world. If you're just upset that you are no longer able to catch a keeper walleye in this reservoir, the solution would be to target other species of fish. Otherwise, I don't see how blaming the liberals for their lack of management is helping this thread.

Agree!

sonny42
10-11-2013, 12:16 PM

New poachers heaven....

You say you have caught a 1000 fish in that creek, I will say you are a very big part of the problem, I have fished Travers since 1961, I am a tournament fisherman, and to be truthful in all the years that i have fished Travers, i have not caught 1000 fish in that Reservoir. As i said before you are a very big part of the problem.

nomames
10-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I'll try and sum it up:

- C&R for walleye
- 1 over 55cm

I was at the meeting and I did not hear it the way Mo heard it. Terry was showing lots of different interpretations of one set of data from 2011. It is now 2013 by the way, 2 years to get the data to paper. I am sure Terry is overworked and understaffed. But Terry had one thing in mind only and that was to close Travers to C and R walleye fishing.
That will not stop poaching. Only by closing the spillway to both boats and shore fishing will stop the poaching. Also Terry repeatedly talked about the west arm being crucial to spawning. So why open it all is what was asked.
As for getting to the point maybe poor Mo needs data in 10 different charts to understand it but I certainly did not.
The data was also not taking into account any of the deep net sets.
I personally disagree with taking the large breeding fish.
3 over 50cm was brutal. I have never kept a fish from Travers.
1 over 55 seemed like the only option to keep the lake open for walleye. I prefer a slot. That said Terry makes the proposal to his boss and his boss decides what will happen. My impression is it will go to C and R.
As for SAWT recommending closing the west arm that is true. The SAWT wanted the limits lowered 3 years ago and it fell on deaf ears.
Of course Mo wants it closed so the BAD tournament guys will stop fishing there. SAD as the tournament guys are the best resource for the reservoir.
Tournament fisherman want the fishing to be good and want it to be there for their kids and their grandchildren.

nomames
10-11-2013, 02:45 PM

You are just a sad individual. You blame the government for flooding?
Yet you say vote for Wild Rose. the wild Rose is made up with all the PC's that were in Power for years. The Wild Rose is not a solution for overfishing and no stocking at southern Alberta Reservoirs. I suppose you are against mixing of the races. Do you wear a white hood when you fish?

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I was at the meeting and I did not hear it the way Mo heard it. Terry was showing lots of different interpretations of one set of data from 2011. It is now 2013 by the way, 2 years to get the data to paper. I am sure Terry is overworked and understaffed. But Terry had one thing in mind only and that was to close Travers to C and R walleye fishing.
That will not stop poaching. Only by closing the spillway to both boats and shore fishing will stop the poaching. Also Terry repeatedly talked about the west arm being crucial to spawning. So why open it all is what was asked.
As for getting to the point maybe poor Mo needs data in 10 different charts to understand it but I certainly did not.
The data was also not taking into account any of the deep net sets.
I personally disagree with taking the large breeding fish.
3 over 50cm was brutal. I have never kept a fish from Travers.
1 over 55 seemed like the only option to keep the lake open for walleye. I prefer a slot. That said Terry makes the proposal to his boss and his boss decides what will happen. My impression is it will go to C and R.
As for SAWT recommending closing the west arm that is true. The SAWT wanted the limits lowered 3 years ago and it fell on deaf ears.
Of course Mo wants it closed so the BAD tournament guys will stop fishing there. SAD as the tournament guys are the best resource for the reservoir.
Tournament fisherman want the fishing to be good and want it to be there for their kids and their grandchildren.

Ok.....
1) Your reading comprehension is terrible

2) Congrats on not needing or wanting to hear what Terry had to say... Other people did. And good thing we skipped through the remaining 3 pages, because Terry had to eventually go back to them to explain some of his reasoning to some people... :rolleye2:

3) Please point out where in my post it says that I want it closed so that the SAWT cannot fish there? I'll wait.......

I think you're reading what you want to read in my post.... I have no reason to disagree with Terry's data. And in taking the data at face value, it suggests that maybe it should be closed due to the lack of mature fish. Who am I to argue? I'm no fisheries biologist.

4) I have no issue with SAWT holding their tournament at Travers. So I'm not sure I understand the animosity towards me regarding SAWT and it's participants.

5) You claim that you want the fishing to be good and for it to be there for your children and grandchildren. So, wouldn't you rather be TOO safe and find out in two or three years that the data was wrong, and the reservoir can in fact handle a 1 over xxcm harvest? As opposed to continuing to allow a harvest and then find out in two or three years that the reservoir will take a decade or two to recover? Seems to me that if a person truly wants what is best for the fishery, taking the too safe approach would be more desirable... Maybe that is just me.

6) For my own curiosity, if you have never kept a fish in Travers, why do you have such a problem going to catch and release for walleye?

7) I agree that making Travers C&R for walleye will not stop poaching. But closing the spillway to fishing for both boats and shore fishing will not stop poaching in Travers either. Sorry. Closing the spillway will definitely help, and I hope to see that happen, but it will not stop the poaching. People who poach are going to poach regardless of closures or regulations.

8) I agree that only having one data set to come to this conclusion may not be the best, which is why I asked Terry how he came to the determination not to net Travers in prior years while netting others every other year. But again, I'm no fisheries biologist, and if he is confident the data set they retained represents the population, then who am I to argue?

9) I'm not sure that we did "hear" the meeting differently in many instances. It's just that you're reading what you want with my summary and my opinions on what I think will happen.

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 03:21 PM
You are just a sad individual. You blame the government for flooding?
Yet you say vote for Wild Rose. the wild Rose is made up with all the PC's that were in Power for years. The Wild Rose is not a solution for overfishing and no stocking at southern Alberta Reservoirs. I suppose you are against mixing of the races. Do you wear a white hood when you fish?

10) Regardless of what Winch has written in the thread thus far, this is comment is disgusting.

nomames
10-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Ok.....

2) Congrats on not needing or wanting to hear what Terry had to say... Other people did. And good thing we skipped through the remaining 3 pages, because Terry had to eventually go back to them to explain some of his reasoning to some people... :rolleye2:

3) Please point out where in my post it says that I want it closed so that the SAWT cannot fish there? I'll wait.......

I think you're reading what you want to read in my post.... I have no reason to disagree with Terry's data. And in taking the data at face value, it suggests that maybe it should be closed due to the lack of mature fish. Who am I to argue? I'm no fisheries biologist.

4) I have no issue with SAWT holding their tournament at Travers. So I'm not sure I understand the animosity towards me regarding SAWT and it's participants.

5) You claim that you want the fishing to be good and for it to be there for your children and grandchildren. So, wouldn't you rather be TOO safe and find out in two or three years that the data was wrong, and the reservoir can in fact handle a 1 over xxcm harvest? As opposed to continuing to allow a harvest and then find out in two or three years that the reservoir will take a decade or two to recover? Seems to me that if a person truly wants what is best for the fishery, taking the too safe approach would be more desirable... Maybe that is just me.

6) For my own curiosity, if you have never kept a fish in Travers, why do you have such a problem going to catch and release for walleye?

7) I agree that making Travers C&R for walleye will not stop poaching. But closing the spillway to fishing for both boats and shore fishing will not stop poaching in Travers either. Sorry. Closing the spillway will definitely help, and I hope to see that happen, but it will not stop the poaching. People who poach are going to poach regardless of closures or regulations.

8) I agree that only having one data set to come to this conclusion may not be the best, which is why I asked Terry how he came to the determination not to net Travers in prior years while netting others every other year. But again, I'm no fisheries biologist, and if he is confident the data set they retained represents the population, then who am I to argue?

9) I'm not sure that we did "hear" the meeting differently in many instances. It's just that you're reading what you want with my summary and my opinions on what I think will happen.

Your comprehension is awful!
As I can read very well I did not need him to go back over the three pages that verified the same numbers but in different format. One year of data is not enough to close the lake period, plus the data was not complete. If you needed him to go over the last 3 pages it was obvious you had the same conclusion, which was to close the lake. You are OBVIOUSLY not a tournament fisherman. Yes who are you to argue???? Let them close all the lakes. YOUR opinions are clear, I understand them.
Making the lake C and R will not stop poaching.
As I said I prefer a slot, most of the others prefer 1 over 55cm.
I do not think keeping the breeding walleye is a good idea ever.
You heard his view on stocking as well, although it works well in Saskatchewan. Maybe it is a money issue for stocking I am not sure but I will definitely ask our Minister that question. But don't you worry, you do not need to argue or disagree, just lay back and take it because you aren't a biologist.

nomames
10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
10) Regardless of what Winch has written in the thread thus far, this is comment is disgusting.

Thankfully I don not care about your opinion.

lovich12
10-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Ok.....

:47b20s0:

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Your comprehension is awful!
As I can read very well I did not need him to go back over the three pages that verified the same numbers but in different format. One year of data is not enough to close the lake period, plus the data was not complete. If you needed him to go over the last 3 pages it was obvious you had the same conclusion, which was to close the lake. You are OBVIOUSLY not a tournament fisherman. Yes who are you to argue???? Let them close all the lakes. YOUR opinions are clear, I understand them.
Making the lake C and R will not stop poaching.
As I said I prefer a slot, most of the others prefer 1 over 55cm.
I do not think keeping the breeding walleye is a good idea ever.
You heard his view on stocking as well, although it works well in Saskatchewan. Maybe it is a money issue for stocking I am not sure but I will definitely ask our Minister that question. But don't you worry, you do not need to argue or disagree, just lay back and take it because you aren't a biologist.

Sigh.... You still didn't answer some of the questions, but I'm not gonna rehash it. Not worth it.

Heaven forbid people hear out the whole presentation before spouting off. I bet we could have saves 30 minutes if Terry had gone through it all. Instead, in order to answer all the "why,why,why" questions on how he came to his conclusion, he had to go back to what was skipped and repeat everything again.

I'm not sure how you figure I had my mind made up. Clearly the guys screaming "get to point" had their mind made up already, regardless of what the data showed. For what it's worth I was hoping to see a 50-55cm slot, but was told by guys with way more knowledge on Travers than me that with the data that Terry presented, closing it down would be way more beneficial in the long run. And that's the end goal for you no? You want your children and grandchildren to enjoy Travers, correct? So ya, that makes complete sense... Ignore what the initial data is saying, because "I'm a tournament fisherman, and I know better!" Gimme a break.

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Thankfully I don not care about your opinion.

I for one am heart broken..... :rolleye2:

nomames
10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Sigh.... You still didn't answer some of the questions, but I'm not gonna rehash it. Not worth it.

Heaven forbid people hear out the whole presentation before spouting off. I bet we could have saves 30 minutes if Terry had gone through it all. Instead, in order to answer all the "why,why,why" questions on how he came to his conclusion, he had to go back to what was skipped and repeat everything again.

I'm not sure how you figure I had my mind made up. Clearly the guys screaming "get to point" had their mind made up already, regardless of what the data showed. For what it's worth I was hoping to see a 50-55cm slot, but was told by guys with way more knowledge on Travers than me that with the data that Terry presented, closing it down would be way more beneficial in the long run. And that's the end goal for you no? You want your children and grandchildren to enjoy Travers, correct? So ya, that makes complete sense... Ignore what the initial data is saying, because "I'm a tournament fisherman, and I know better!" Gimme a break.

You are hilarious, nobody was screaming in fact it was a pretty good meeting.
"I'm a tournament fisherman, and know better" You said it not me. The data(Terry said it was not complete) shows that in 2011 there were no breeding females. It was the BAD tournament guys that were calling for the limits to be changed 3 years ago!!! Hmm maybe those tournament guys do know what they are talking about and UNLIKE YOU are willing to argue with a biologist.
Those tournament guys fish all year long, many of them all catch and release.
I never doubted Terry is a very smart guy.
You want better fishing correct?
Then why don't you get them to stop all commercial fishing in McGregor?
No you TRUST the data and YOU TRUST SRD is doing everything right.
If you wanted a slot why didn't you speak up in the meeting rather on the net?
Oh, right, much easier to be right after the fact.

nomames
10-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I for one am heart broken..... :rolleye2:

"but I'm not gonna rehash it. Not worth it"

You are right, tight lines and good fishing to you Mo.
I do hope the fishing stays great in Travers for years to come!

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 04:45 PM
You are hilarious, nobody was screaming in fact it was a pretty good meeting.
"I'm a tournament fisherman, and know better" You said it not me. The data(Terry said it was not complete) shows that in 2011 there were no breeding females. It was the BAD tournament guys that were calling for the limits to be changed 3 years ago!!! Hmm maybe those tournament guys do know what they are talking about and UNLIKE YOU are willing to argue with a biologist.
Those tournament guys fish all year long, many of them all catch and release.
I never doubted Terry is a very smart guy.
You want better fishing correct?
Then why don't you get them to stop all commercial fishing in McGregor?
No you TRUST the data and YOU TRUST SRD is doing everything right.
If you wanted a slot why didn't you speak up in the meeting rather on the net?
Oh, right, much easier to be right after the fact.

Hahaha, oh man. You are ridiculous....

Hold on one second. Let me bow down before you oh great and wise fisherman. I'm not sure why you've made it your mission to try to show that you're a better and more knowledgeable fisherman than I... You probably are. Congrats on that accomplishment! I'm proud of you bud!

BUT.... Since you brought it up....

The data(Terry said it was not complete) shows that in 2011 there were no breeding females. It was the BAD tournament guys that were calling for the limits to be changed 3 years ago!!! Hmm maybe those tournament guys do know what they are talking about and UNLIKE YOU are willing to argue with a biologist.

IF you were calling for limits to be changed 3 years ago, don't you think that after no regulation changes and 3 years going by that things are even more dire than were you first started calling for changes?

And if things were so dire that you were calling for limits to be changed 3 years ago, what sense does it make to keep an open harvest? If even 1 over xxcm?

Clearly you think Travers needs help... But not so much help as to go C&R. Correct? Again I ask... You claim you've never kept a fish in Travers, so why do you personally care if it does go to C&R?

And what data do YOU have to back up that even a 1 over xxcm is sustainable in Travers for the near future, if you saw the writing on the wall 3 years ago? And sorry... You and your friends having a "400" fish day at the spillway every weekend does not count as data.

I'll say it again... I prefer to err on the side of caution until new data can be provided to show me otherwise. I would rather the lake go to C&R and be told by Terry Clayton in 2 or 3 years "Sorry guys, the data didn't represent the population, and I was wrong, the lake can handle a limited harvest". As opposed to still allowing a harvest and in 2 or 3 years Terry throwing another meeting saying "Guys, Travers is in way more trouble than we first thought"....

EDIT: And I still don't understand why you think my opinion of tournament fisherman is that they're "BAD".... Maybe you just like putting yourself in the role of the victim? I dunno. Very strange anyways...

nomames
10-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Hahaha, oh man. You are ridiculous....

Hold on one second. Let me bow down before you oh great and wise fisherman. I'm not sure why you've made it your mission to try to show that you're a better and more knowledgeable fisherman than I... You probably are. Congrats on that accomplishment! I'm proud of you bud!

BUT.... Since you brought it up....

IF you were calling for limits to be changed 3 years ago, don't you think that after no regulation changes and 3 years going by that things are even more dire than were you first started calling for changes?

And if things were so dire that you were calling for limits to be changed 3 years ago, what sense does it make to keep an open harvest? If even 1 over xxcm?

Clearly you think Travers needs help... But not so much help as to go C&R. Correct? Again I ask... You claim you've never kept a fish in Travers, so why do you personally care if it does go to C&R?

And what data do YOU have to back up that even a 1 over xxcm is sustainable in Travers for the near future, if you saw the writing on the wall 3 years ago? And sorry... You and your friends having a "400" fish day at the spillway every weekend does not count as data.

I'll say it again... I prefer to err on the side of caution until new data can be provided to show me otherwise. I would rather the lake go to C&R and be told by Terry Clayton in 2 or 3 years "Sorry guys, the data didn't represent the population, and I was wrong, the lake can handle a limited harvest". As opposed to still allowing a harvest and in 2 or 3 years Terry throwing another meeting saying "Guys, Travers is in way more trouble than we first thought"....

EDIT: And I still don't understand why you think my opinion of tournament fisherman is that they're "BAD".... Maybe you just like putting yourself in the role of the victim? I dunno. Very strange anyways...

Wow me and my friends had a 400 fish day?
You clearly have me mixed up with someone else at the meeting.
I have never had a 400 fish day.
You just confirmed SRD is wrong.
I am tired of responding to you.
Why do you dislike tournament fisherman so much?
I do not agree with 1 over 55cm and have said so in all responses.
Maybe tournament fisherman do it with bigger RODS.
You sound like you are envious.

All Kidding aside, Mo.
I do not want Travers hurt. I believe a slot will help that lake.
C and R will not stop all the poaching.

Again good luck with your fishing.

huntsfurfish
10-11-2013, 05:09 PM
K guys, 2 full years have elapsed since that data set!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closure of the river and a later date were implemented. We do not know if that helped. And the data may be wrong from the start.

I brought up reservoir fish are very mobile. It is conceivable that they were in poor locations. And the use of one data set is poor science. I have also mentioned were wind direction taken into account. Fish(walleye) frequent deep water on the reservoir. That data was thrown out(no DO). Fish may be suspended over deep water on that reservoir.

Terry needs more help if they can only test on a 5 year rotation.

huntsfurfish
10-11-2013, 05:12 PM

All Kidding aside, Mo.

A slot limit with little monitoring is a recipe for disaster. Slots will work with tag system though.

MoFugger21
10-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure if you don't understand what I write, don't read it entirely, or just read too much into what I write, but I'm gonna go through point by point here... Maybe you'll catch on.

It was an example to make a point

Show me where and how I confirmed it.

Read what I write, answer the questions, and this would stop.

I don't dislike them. Why do you assume that I do?

At least we agree on something... But you've yet to show me(other than your own opinion) why C&R is not what Travers needs, or answer why you're so dead set against C&R.

This is laughable at best

All Kidding aside, Mo.

I'm glad to hear. And if I could be shown that the lake could handle a slot regulation, I would be pushing for it. A slot was what I initially wanted to hear at the meeting, but after listening to Terry, seeing his data, and talking with some guys at the meeting, I don't, in my own opinion, believe a slot or a harvest of 1 > xxcm is sustainable or in the best interest of the lake.

I agree, and have said so in a previous post. I don't know why you keep bringing this up as if I disagree with you on it....

Same to you

AK47
10-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Why tournament fishermen suddenly became a priority? Only very small % of anglers fish in tournaments, so why their opinion is more important then majority of anglers?
Tournament fishermen can go and do their tourneys in Pigeon, Crawling Valley, Pine coulee, Pine lake, etc... there they can catch hundreds of fish and have all that fun they want.
Or maybe it is time to change their tournaments to pike fishing if they can't catch valley anymore...

AK47
10-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Why is exactly is it "nonsense" in your mind?

Because it makes no sense to me ( biologically, ethically and on all other counts). I already expressed my opinion about it and not willing to go into it again.

BeeGuy
10-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Why tournament fishermen suddenly became a priority? Only very small % of anglers fish in tournaments, so why their opinion is more important then majority of anglers?
Tournament fishermen can go and do their tourneys in Pigeon, Crawling Valley, Pine coulee, Pine lake, etc... there they can catch hundreds of fish and have all that fun they want.
Or maybe it is time to change their tournaments to pike fishing if they can't catch valley anymore...

The answer to your questions is very simple.

$.

AK47
10-11-2013, 07:34 PM
The answer to your questions is very simple.

$.

Please educate me on that subject, maybe I do not know some info? Do they contribute more then regular anglers to Alberta fisheries? Is money from tournament fees goes to stocking of valley or other fish?

BeeGuy
10-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Commercial interests take priority over recreational interests with respect to all our natural resources.

AK47
10-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Commercial interests take priority over recreational interests with respect to all our natural resources.

thanks... that is just plain sad.

huntsfurfish
10-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Seriously?
We (tournament fishermen) are not a priority. We are interested in the fisheries. Many of us have volunteered for tagging and other events. Have or do belong to other organizations past/present/future like fish and game or walleye unlimited. Whats your problem?
You on one post stated you should go kill your 3 walleye while you still can. That is part of the problem. I don't keep many fish and I don't really have a problem with you keeping some. But the days of keeping 3 are over or should be(my opinion).

Were you even at the meeting?

MoFugger21
10-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Just wondering if anyone heard what was discussed/decided at the fisheries meeting on the weekend?