PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Maui, any advice??

WildCats
09-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Going in October to Kihei and looking for any ideas if you have been there. Taking a couple reels and will probably buy/rent a rod there for shore fishing. I would like to grab a charter or two depending on cost, the mixed group ones don't look to bad cost wise. Any recommendations on who to go with or where to start looking?

Thanks in advance
WC

Ruger1022
09-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Oh Sure,
get a boat..

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/search.php?searchid=11377587

goldscud
10-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Not many fish around shore...unless there is a nature preserve present. If you want to fish from shore the far north end or south end of the island would probably be best. Getting a charter probably the wisest thing to do

cougarcreek
10-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I was there in April and used the Hinatea. Great crew and and experince. The main problem with fishing in Mauii is that to get to good fishing u have to travel quite away off shore. To do this you have to book for a full day.

densa44
10-01-2013, 04:19 PM
It cost a lot compared to other places I've been, when you book in advance you are stuck with the day and the weather.

If I did it again, I'd walk down to the wharf and see what kind of deal I could make.

caddisman
10-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Do some research online about the charters. Only a few of them let you keep the fish. Most will give you some but the crew will sell the fish to the restaurants. Full days seem the way to go. People at our resort went for half day and only boated a couple of small fish but the other ones that went out early and went for the full day had many more turns at the rod and did better.
2 of the buoys that attract fish are missing. We were there in August and the charters are wondering if the Greenpeace type of people were involved.
If you research these buoys you will understand why they are out there.
Fishing seemed to be most successful in April and May for Marlin.
No one was catching anything in August.
Go to Maalaea Harbor to try and work the best deal, it is a short 25 minute drive from Kehei.
As for fishing from shore, try fishing off the rocks between Kamaole Beach 2 and 3. I snorkeled the area a lot and it had nice deep drop off but be prepared for snags as there is a lot of structure.
Surf fishing past the Sugar Beach resort are right off the highway, more of a sandy area but check the regs.

KWDK
10-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I was in kihei this past march and April for 3 weeks and fished more days than not. I had rented a car from 'Kihei Rent a Car' for cheap and checked out every tackle shop I could find on the island. Most of my shore fishing was between kamaole 2 and 3 beaches (walking distance from my condo) but also spent some time between kamaole 1 and 2 and did a charter trip. Both places are packed with fish about 6 inches to 18 inches in the reefs and a few larger ones that roam through to eat the little ones. Don't be discouraged by the small sizes because they fight harder than most canadian gamefish. Those fish have to be strong enough to fight the big ocean current and run from sharks so they pull HARD when hooked. I brought my own reel and picked up a rod at walmart in Kahului. I was casting lures with a light 7 foot rod that I left in the condo when I came home. This was a lot cheaper than renting a rod. I had most luck with a small pink jig head and a small white mister twister. Like someone already mentioned, you will lose lots of tackle from the waves smacking the lures in the coral reefs. If you go snorkeling prior to fishing you can get an idea of where to cast to avoid some hangups. If you fish from shore just make sure you respect the snorkelers so you don't hook them. I generally went out early as the sun was starting to rise and it was just me and a few homeless people on the beach. All the snorkelers would come out after a couple hours. You'll want some decent water shoes because you'll be walking on lots of lava rock with sharp little creatures stuck to it. On the weekends the locals come out and they were all bait fishing with long shore rods. They were catching on the south side of kamaole 1 and doing really well at Makena landing which is just south of kihei. I was wanting to go to La Perouse bay to fish but ran out of time. La Perouse bay is supposed to be good fishing as well as dolphin watching. Lots of sharks there from what I'm told so be careful if you get in the water.
As for the charter, I was planning to go with Die Hard fishing in Lahaina but the price got jacked up during spring break. I came across 'Local Fishing Knowledge' which is a local guy, Capt. Jon Jon, that guides in a 2 man kayak. Im not sure how you become the captain of a kayak but whatever. There are outriggers on the kayak so it is incredibly stable. We launched from Makena Landing and went out to Molokini and around to Little beach (the nude beach) and Big beach. We started out catching bait on lighter tackle by dropshotting flies and hooked up to some larger fish on the flies as well. We trolled the bait to catch the real big ones. The kayak had foot paddles which left your hands free to fish the whole time. In total, we caught at least 20 fish and I got to reel in any big fish. The big ones pull you around on the kayak and you go on a 'Hawaiian Sleigh ride'! It was an awesome time and was like fishing in an aquarium with all of the tropical fish we pulled up. There were some big fishing charters in the same area and the boats were bobbing back and forth on the waves whereas the kayak just rode smoothly over the waves. I think I would have got sea sick on the charter boat the way it was bouncing around. I would go out with Capt Jon Jon again. He was a nice guy but sort of a typical guide that is a bit cocky and knows all of the 'secret' spots that none of the other guides know. I booked a 6 hour trip and he took me out for over 8 with no extra charge. He really seems to enjoy what he does. I attached a picture of the big catch that I took back to feed the family (a Giant Trevally). Capt Jon Jon called later in the evening to make sure all went well with filleting and cooking the fish.
One of the big things I liked compared to the big boat trips was that I got to reel in everything instead of having to take turns with other people on the boat.
If I go back, I'll try dropshotting flies from the drop offs around the kamaole beaches. The flies looked like a small minnow (about 2 inches) with an aqua head and holographic body. You'll need a fair bit of weight to keep the ocean from just tossing your flies into the reefs.
Even if you didn't catch anything, you can have a great time just wading in the ocean and bouncing a jig along the bottom to the goat fish.
I'm jealous. Have a great trip.

KWDK
10-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Here's the picture

Rooster777
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
For some little tropical aquarium type fish fun, head out onto one of the coral points adjacent to Kihei very early in the morning when the ocean is most calm. Use very light line and a single very small hook with a piece of shrimp.

Lower it down beside the coral and watch the little fish appear mysteriously. Catch em and throw em back. Very pretty fish. Loads of fun till it gets rougher and you can't see down anymore.

caddisman
10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey KWDK, how did that fish taste?
We stayed at Kamaole Sands Condo and spent most of our time at Kam 3 beach. Awesome amount of fish and turtles while snorkeling. I will try fishing next time with a cheap rod and reel. What did the licenses cost and are the regs tough?

hassihand
10-02-2013, 02:50 PM
I went with Die Hard back in Feb. and we absolutely slayed the tuna (yellowfin and skipjack) out by the buoys in 6,000+ ft of water. According to other posts, it sounds like maybe the buoys are no longer an option.
These guys love what they do, and yes they do keep most of the fish to sell to local restaurants but they also gave us more than enough to eat for the rest of the trip and a few lbs to take home as well.
Prepare for rough seas and an early start (4am at the pier) but also prepare for some intense fishing action (and a fresh sashimi lunch at the pier once you get back in)!

KWDK
10-02-2013, 06:07 PM
caddisman,

We got 2 huge meals from the fish for 8 people. The first night we did fish sticks and it was okay. The second night we marinated some thick steak size fillets in a teriyaki sauce and BBQ'd them......WOW!! Delicious!
As far as licences and regs it is very basic. You don't need a licence to fish the ocean unless you are selling the fish and there aren't many rules except for a few select areas such as the harbours and some bays. You can read the regs online before going or pick up a copy when you get there at one of the tackle shops. I did both and kept my paper copy for a souvenir! The state also posts all of the reefs (natural and artificial) online, so you can use it to scout some good fishing locations. Google satellite map is a good source to scout areas for fishing off shore in the ocean too because they added the ocean floor contours and you can see reefs and drop offs.
One nice thing about shore fishing is that the family doesn't seem to mind if you get up early and go out for a few hours before they're awake and want to start touring around. Plus it's cheap since you don't need a licence or any big fancy equipment. I brought a Shimano FX reel because I didn't want to wreck my good reels in the saltwater (I dunked it many times after wading too far out and unintentionally going for a swim with the rod in hand and back pack on), and the rod I bought was $20 on sale at the Walmart. The main expense was buying some tackle at each of the shops I went to so they would open up about locations and techniques. I bought a bunch of Mark White lures at the shops which are made locally and look kind of cool. I didn't catch anything with them there, but they slay the Pike at home. The people in the shops were nice and after some chit chat (and a few purchases), took time to mark some locations on my map and take me in the back to show some rod building projects they had on the go.
It was a great time! I hope to go back some day.

WildCats
10-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, huge help!

Byron
02-26-2014, 08:01 PM
How'd you make out?

Heading down in April and looking forward to packing the fly rod along.

Any additional info?

catchandeat
02-27-2014, 09:42 AM
we went to maui back in december, and we booked a charter with diehard out of lahaina. We were not dissapointed! we left at midnight to catch baitfish which was alot of fun, and then we boated for three hours to the buoys, and caught thirty tuna between six people. Unfortunately the biggest one was only about 13lb, they had caught some 50lb'ers the day before, but oh well thats fishing.
Fuzzy cut us up as much fish as we wanted, we took adleast five pounds of tuna, and I ate it almost everyday that we were there haha. We went back the next day after we had gone fishing just to see what the next group caught, and they had caught some mahi mahi. Fuzzy was awesome enough to cut my dad and I a big fillet each, even though it wasn't our fish! :sHa_shakeshout:
My advice, go with diehard, I doubt you'll regret it!

DSG85
02-28-2014, 10:55 AM
We honeymooned in Maui and went with Die Hard out of Lahaina. Got on the boat at 11 Pm with 4 other guys. We jigged for bait fish l in the harbour until about 1 am. We were there in February and it was whale soup all around. All you could hear while jigging was WOOOSH WOOOSH WOOOSH all around you. It was unreal…best start gazing ever BTW. All of a sudden WOOOOOSH, whale was 10 feet from the boat. He was checking out the parachute we had in the water to slow the drift.

Fuzzy starts freakin on the first mate to get it in and sure as **** the whale swims right into the line and pulls buddy right to the railing. Thank god it came loose or he was taking us for a water ski. Fuzzy starts yelling at us get your camera’s ready and this whale loops right around and comes straight at us turns onto his white belly and goes under us. FREAKIN unreal…my wife’s losing her mind and the price of the charter was worth it right there before we even landed a fish.

Then came the 3 hour ride to the buoys… the wife and I took enough gravol to sedate Rob Ford and I wake up to this 60 year old guy who came piling into me and the wall… I look over and 3 of them of head deep in 5 gallon pails just yakin like mad.

First mate come in the cabin and said put the belts on…at this point I’m green as green and the wife gets up lands the first Tuna.. I’m up next and get one in. All in all we caught 26 tuna… me and the 60 year old went fish for fish while the other guys paid 300 bucks to puke for 12 hours. The wife was happy with the 3 she caught and tanned all day.

We trolled in for anything but didn’t get anything but I was ok with that arms were Jello after the morning. Fuzzy sent us back with 2 zip locks full of the most amazing Tuna I have ever had. Highly recommend it! (and Gravol)

I’l try and find some pics….

Cheers,

DSG

catchandeat
03-01-2014, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=DSG85;2342721]We honeymooned in Maui and went with Die Hard out of Lahaina. Got on the boat at 11 Pm with 4 other guys. We jigged for bait fish l in the harbour until about 1 am. We were there in February and it was whale soup all around. All you could hear while jigging was WOOOSH WOOOSH WOOOSH all around you. It was unreal…best start gazing ever BTW. All of a sudden WOOOOOSH, whale was 10 feet from the boat. He was checking out the parachute we had in the water to slow the drift.

Fuzzy starts freakin on the first mate to get it in and sure as **** the whale swims right into the line and pulls buddy right to the railing. Thank god it came loose or he was taking us for a water ski. Fuzzy starts yelling at us get your camera’s ready and this whale loops right around and comes straight at us turns onto his white belly and goes under us. FREAKIN unreal…my wife’s losing her mind and the price of the charter was worth it right there before we even landed a fish.

Then came the 3 hour ride to the buoys… the wife and I took enough gravol to sedate Rob Ford and I wake up to this 60 year old guy who came piling into me and the wall… I look over and 3 of them of head deep in 5 gallon pails just yakin like mad.

First mate come in the cabin and said put the belts on…at this point I’m green as green and the wife gets up lands the first Tuna.. I’m up next and get one in. All in all we caught 26 tuna… me and the 60 year old went fish for fish while the other guys paid 300 bucks to puke for 12 hours. The wife was happy with the 3 she caught and tanned all day.

We trolled in for anything but didn’t get anything but I was ok with that arms were Jello after the morning. Fuzzy sent us back with 2 zip locks full of the most amazing Tuna I have ever had. Highly recommend it! (and Gravol)

I’l try and find some pics….

hahaha sounds about right! That's awesome you had whales come up to the boat at night! We saw a few coming back in from our fishing trip, but they were hundreds of meters out....
I wasn't sick at all for the whole trip. My dad on the other hand didn't get to catch any fish cause he was sick right up until we switched to trolling for the three hour ride back...
both of us took bonine, which is the best medicine for seasickness cause it doesn't cause drowsiness, but my dad made the unfortunate mistake of sitting way up in the front of the boat were the bed was, and I think the diesel fumes got to him...
Fuzzy is the man! :sHa_shakeshout:

WildCats
03-01-2014, 12:48 PM
I ended up doing a bunch of fly fishing for bones out on the reefs at low tide. Their huge down there and lots of them. Did three off shore tours with Capt Jon Jon Tabon in the kayak, wild experience. Caught mahi and wahoo up to 40 lbs on live baits out around Molokini and big beach. Shore fishing wasn't great for anything more than really small jacks and goatfish. Did get some bigger barred jacks that were fantastic eating.

WC