PDA

View Full Version : 2013 PB's

BeeGuy
10-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Well, the season is slowly winding down, so I thought all y'all score keepers could post up some of your personal bests taken this season.

On the fly,

In the river,

In the lake,

biggest fish, smallest, whatever

post a story or some pics!

I've had a few PB's this year.

biggest river laker
biggest rmwf ever
first alberta sauger
biggest AB pike
first Bow river brookie

AppleJax
10-01-2013, 09:48 PM
My season isn't finished until December 31... But here's a few that stand out for me so far.

Largest Sturgeon @ 50 inches
PB Walleye 29.5x15inches approximately 10.5lb
Largest Smallmouth Bass 17.5 inches 3.5lb
3 Pink Salmon on the fly, didn't get weight..

Lefty-Canuck
10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I caught several coho salmon in the middle of the ocean on the fly when I hit the coast in August, my first salmon on the fly ever....and a couple 25-29lb chinook salmon, though the chinook were not on the fly!

Those were my major highlights fishing this year.

LC

MoFugger21
10-01-2013, 09:59 PM
2 personal bests for me: 9lb walleye and 9 lb ling- both ice fishing later in the winter

Caught the walleye at ~10am jigging a chubby darter. Was so fired up when I saw it through the ice and so worried about losing it at the hole that I had to recruit some help some the old man to be sure it came out of the hole! Broke my previous best by 3lbs.

Caught the ling on a 10-12" sucker. When I grabbed the line it felt like a shark ripping apart the bait- just constant "chomps" on the bait. Feeling that definitely got the heart rate up.

BeeGuy
10-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Sweet!

I miss salmon!

Gust
10-01-2013, 10:06 PM
big fish broke my line today at a mysterious lake,, long fight in very choppy conditions,, new rod, drag set perfect, then a quick turn by her and I had a long wisp of line. So quick, so unexpected.

RavYak
10-01-2013, 10:21 PM
2 PB Pike, possibly 3 but didn't get a weight/length on it...
First fish on the fly
First half decent AB perch

Nothing really amazing but did have a pretty good/productive summer of fishing. Still have at least 1 more outing planned so not finished yet.

BeeGuy
10-01-2013, 10:24 PM
big fish broke my line today at a mysterious lake,, long fight in very choppy conditions,, new rod, drag set perfect, then a quick turn by her and I had a long wisp of line. So quick, so unexpected.

Try finding some limp 60lb mono in bulk. Hasn't failed me yet.

Gust
10-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Try finding some limp 60lb mono in bulk. Hasn't failed me yet.

Ya know, I decided to swap out my limp mono which has done me just fine till today.

New, rod, with favorite reel and new fluoro-line.

pop.

long wisp.

long silence.

sorry for the derail.

BeeGuy
10-01-2013, 10:48 PM
it's all good.

I know that feeling.

Had a massive rockie break me off the other day when I tried to tackle it mid-river, having forgotten my net.

That may account for the recent flurry of posts on samsquanch.net regarding a mournful male's tragic howling along the river the other day.

yeahright
10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Some fall NSR fishy last week, hooked my best Wally. weighed in at 7 lbs even, easy release, went back in to get big!

http://imgur.com/UyoPS5g

^^^ i tried to post the pic but couldnt figure it out, that link is all i got.

RayL42
10-02-2013, 07:58 AM
I had a great season this year.

Personal best rainbow on the fly (24 inch)

Personal best upper Kananskis lake cutthroat (20 inch)

Personal smallest rocky (sorry bee guy I went to your spot without you a couple of weeks ago).

tight line
10-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Not sure if they were actually PB's, but caught a 40" & 42" Pike in my pontoon boat this summer. Gotta love getting pulled by a fish!

slough shark
10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Atlantic salmon on the fly, man those things give you a heart attack when they launch out of the water like they do taking your fly!:sHa_shakeshout:

tight line
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Atlantic salmon on the fly, man those things give you a heart attack when they launch out of the water like they do taking your fly!:sHa_shakeshout:

Congrats! They dont call them " King of the Freshwater Fish" for nothing! hardest fighting fish ive ever caught on my flyrod!

slough shark
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Congrats! They dont call them " King of the Freshwater Fish" for nothing! hardest fighting fish ive ever caught on my flyrod!

They are a blast to catch for sure, now if I could only figure out what the heck they are actually going for when they bite so I could catch them more consistently. It seems that water levels and temperature have a lot more to do with catching them more than anything, the flies you use to catch them look like nothing I've ever seen in nature. I caught them on a couple flies, a big orange bomber and some wet fly that had neon blue, neon green and yellow on it (don't remember the name), what the heck kind of bug are those supposed to be??? Anyways I was rather lucky and caught 4 this year when me and my wife went out to visit her family in newfoundland.

jacenbeers
10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Now I have to think back because it has been a pretty OK year.

PB Arctic Grayling (And first ever which means I have one fish left on my bucket list for AB sportfish)

PB Alberta Prussian Carp. Most I have caught have been tiny but this was one around 8 inches I think and I caught a perch at the same time so it was a cool double headder.

My best ever RMWF was caught in 2012 but this year has been outstanding for the sheer volume of RMWF I have caught

My PB walleye was caught at Badger

I caught my first river laker as well this year which was neat.

azn_rice_man
10-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Haven't fished as much as I wanted, but here are my highlights:
- 40" river pike, weighing 17lbs 10oz, PB!!!
- first sauger (average size)

Don't think my 2013 fishing adventures are over yet, so here's to hope! Cheers!

FisherGrrrl
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Lots of Firsts this year for me :)

First Grayling

First Ling Cod (and the largest fish I have caught)

First Hali and Yellow Eyed Snapper

First Mahi Mahi

First Baracuda

First Bonefish on the fly

First time crab fishing

Going back to BC this Friday for my last Salmon trip of the year. Hopefully I can come back with another PB!

Chief16
10-02-2013, 11:41 AM
This year was more of a firsts for me than PB's.

PB rainbow about 5 pounds
First grayling
First Cutty
First Walleye
First sauger
First goldeye
All of which were on the fly as well as my first pike on the fly.

JReed
10-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Here are a few of my highlights this year, my 3rd season of fly-fishing. The fish aren't huge and I could care less what people think, I love a tight line and it puts a smile on face regardless of fish size:

PB Rainbow at 24" (First Gerrard Rainbow as well), best part is the water was calm and I watched the take happen 6 feet from shore.

First Brown trout & first fish caught on a self-tied fly (wooly bugger) measuring 14".

PB Brown caught last night at 17", it took the hopper on the hopper/dropper rig. This would have never happened if I didn't forget my indicators at home. I was trying to get a hook-up on nymphs as I thought fish wouldn't be eating dries at this time of year because I didn't see any risers.

First Pike on a fly rod, and ended up catching several more that day, what a blast! Thanks to my guide, Beeguy!

PB Rocky at 46cm, the weight is unknown. This was ice fishing, I saw the fish take my maggot on this occasion as well. I was looking down the hole and 2 smaller, but interested rockies, darted out of the way as the one I caught came in and hammered the bait.

It's been a hell of a fun year of fishing, can't wait for the upcoming ice season!

RavYak
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM

A first is still a PB lol.

CanadianBadass
10-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Lots of Firsts this year for me :)

First Grayling

First Ling Cod (and the largest fish I have caught)

First Hali and Yellow Eyed Snapper

First Mahi Mahi

First Baracuda

First Bonefish on the fly

First time crab fishing

Going back to BC this Friday for my last Salmon trip of the year. Hopefully I can come back with another PB!

Still gotta get you a dino before the season ends !

FisherGrrrl
10-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Still gotta get you a dino before the season ends !

I was thinking about this after I saw yours and AJs thread! When I get back from BC I think I'll come out! There's still time! :)

AppleJax
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
I was thinking about this after I saw yours and AJs thread! When I get back from BC I think I'll come out! There's still time! :)

Let us know when and we'll show you where!

CanadianBadass
10-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Let us know when and we'll show you where!

Umm Aj .... We ???? lol lol lol lol Team AJBJ On the Fly ! lol

the local angler
10-02-2013, 05:16 PM
well my season was kinda crappy, before the floods i was doing great but after that i was getting more goose eggs this season. especially alot of road closures to places i wanted to hit. frustrating when you drive all the way out there to find the road closed. even with my stewardship brook trout thing was bad(6 trips 1 cutty) but i did manage my first grayling and second grayling was my biggest one but looked kinda funny because of a deformed mouth. since things were slow for my targeted species i decided to hit some of the unsung hero fish and targeted suckers, got my personal best of almost 9lb white sucker and average was like 7lbs ish great fun and hard fighters. haven't got my sturgeon for this year kinda sad about that but like amber i might and try and see if i can squeeze a trip or two in before the snow flies.

TyreeUM
10-02-2013, 05:44 PM
pb's
brown - 26 lb
5 pound brook (fly)

I didnt get out fishing all that much this year...

WayneChristie
10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
only 3 PBs for me, what a downer :bad_boys_20:
high 80s Lake Sturgeon 72 1/2 inches

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/IMG_0289_zpsa4c6c2db.jpg
hair under 33 inch 13 poundish walleye that I hope to upsize before the river freezes
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/sept15%202013/P9130114_zps51f4ffc0.jpg
and a 30 pound plus pike just before ice out in march
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/March10%202013%2030%20pounder/46x24March102013_zpsd7185347.jpg
Hopefully I will have a better year in 2014 :sign0176:

BeeGuy
10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Best of luck Wayne, all you need is a few more days on the water and you should be set :thinking-006:

TyreeUM
10-02-2013, 08:29 PM
wow Wayne, those are some great fish - congrats on a great year!

BeeGuy
10-02-2013, 08:40 PM
yup, totally ridiculous!

Bhflyfisher
10-02-2013, 09:10 PM

PB rainbow about 5 pounds
First grayling
First Cutty
First Walleye
First sauger
First goldeye
All of which were on the fly as well as my first pike on the fly.

You're getting your first bull trout at the end of this month. You've also caught some tank cutties this year man.

Couple things for me that stand out.

Personal best rainbow at 29" and 10lbs+
Personal Best bull trout 30"+
First coho on the fly 10lbs

CanadianBadass
10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
My year of fishing every year consists of 100% Sturgeon 100% of the time fishing is on the NSR in the Summer, And 100% of the Winter fishing on Wab , Here is some of my 2013 PB's ,

A 4:30 A.M 56.5" Sturgeon Fight I ended up having to Go in the water for, But My PB this year , And my 2nd PB of all time !

http://i43.tinypic.com/n6yvlf.jpg

A 50" Monster on probably the Best Ever Sturgeon fishing night I have had, Recently APPLEJAX and I Caught 6 Fish together, AJ, 5 Sturgeon, Me 1 This being the Biggest ( Not close to PB, But my PB night of sturgeon Fishing..)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2r71vlv.jpg

A 3:00 Am Early Eater from Wab , Probably The Biggest Girth Ive ever seen on a Pike , Unfortunately didn't measure it, But we did weigh her in at 24Lbs , Made a suction noise coming thru the Hole, And we had drilled a double wide just to release her ! Caught on a tip up with some Medium Herring !

http://i40.tinypic.com/24uz5vt.jpg

Again, Just another Super Ultra Girthy Fish from the Ice Season ! Some Big Mommas in that Lake !

http://i42.tinypic.com/123ryox.jpg

Now again .. No where near my PB , but by far my Personal Favorite , My Sons First Sturgeon, He Caught it all By Himself, I had His Smaller rod set up with a small bait set up and chucking 10' from shore to unsure he didn't get a big sturgeon on his little gear, And then BAM, Baby Sturgeon, Also the smallest Youngest Sturgeon ive ever seen !

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ztf588.jpg

But Besides fish, This has been my PB Year of sturgeon fishing, And An incredible Ice Pike Seaon ! Great year overall !

Who Da Fisherman
10-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Well, the season is slowly winding down, so I thought all y'all score keepers could post up some of your personal bests taken this season.

On the fly,
In the river,
In the lake,
biggest fish, smallest, whatever
post a story or some pics!
I've had a few PB's this year.
biggest river laker
biggest rmwf ever
first alberta sauger
biggest AB pike
first Bow river brookie

Will let you know after I fill one or two of my trophy Wally tags this weekend, one can always wish.......:)
WDF

OneGirlWolfPack
10-02-2013, 11:04 PM
I had a pretty good season. Nothing fancy but I got my first walleye, rainbow trout, redhorse, sucker, goldeye, mooneye and my largest pike :)

coyoteslayer
10-02-2013, 11:08 PM
How are you guys still fishing?????????????? Don't you know it's hunting season? Lol.

Rikkles Fisher
10-03-2013, 03:13 AM
My personal bests this year:
10-12 pound pike
20.5inch brown trout
50inch lake sturgeon
GOLDEN TROUT
20inch rainbow trout

CK Angler
10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Wayne that's one hell of a hatrick! Congrats!

My PB of the year would be finally breaking the 20lbs mark on a Pike. I've been a walleye guy my whole life until about 3 years ago when I starting appreciating pike fishing and the fight they put up, so breaking 20lbs was quite the achievement for me! Now I'm lookin to join the 30lbs club!

Wild&Free
10-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Didn't get out as much as I would have liked, but had a pretty decent year.

PB Pike, @ 15# on a jig under a bobber, good fun.
First Mooneye, Goldeye, and Sauger this year as well.

Ice fishing to start soon, might get a new PB Brookie.

Secret coulee
10-04-2013, 08:56 AM
2013 personal bests
Bow river sturgy 60"
Pike 45"
Walley 31.4"
Havnt fished since middle of June been crazy at work,now she's hunting time gotter started right and killed a 204 drop tine md buck,but Gunna hit the eyes hard here till freez up,lookin for a Walley the size that Wayne christy is hopin to catch yet this fall GINORMOUS

Chief16
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
You're getting your first bull trout at the end of this month. You've also caught some tank cutties this year man.

Couple things for me that stand out.

Personal best rainbow at 29" and 10lbs+
Personal Best bull trout 30"+
First coho on the fly 10lbs

Getting so stoked for that trip!

Oh and first brown as well

slivers86
10-04-2013, 09:49 AM
first dolly on the fly - 5 of them that morning which was fantastic!

lannie
10-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Many Bulls, Cutthroat, Rainbow, and Cutbows.
PB Tarpon, many bones and a ton of other of SW fish.

FisherPotch
10-04-2013, 11:41 AM
pb's
brown - 26 lb
5 pound brook (fly)

I didnt get out fishing all that much this year...

OMG!!! Please tell me that was an Alberta brown!!??

My 2013 pb's
Best brown three times with the final being 16.5 lbs, my best trout ever, also on the fly.
First perch on fly
First sucker on the fly, then a second as my pb
Best lakers on the fly. (Pb twice broken)
Best lakers thru the ice. (Pb twice broken)

portwein
10-04-2013, 01:35 PM
PB and tasty!!!!

Chief16
10-05-2013, 09:03 PM
first dolly on the fly - 5 of them that morning which was fantastic!

Dollies...my favorite, especially on bacon:thinking-006:

Who Da Fisherman
10-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Will let you know after I fill one or two of my trophy Wally tags this weekend, one can always wish.......:)
WDF

Well we are back and beat my PB with a 9.5lb and then beat that with a 10lb 11oz......:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
10-06-2013, 09:18 PM
:happy0034:

TyreeUM
10-07-2013, 09:15 AM
OMG!!! Please tell me that was an Alberta brown!!??

My 2013 pb's
Best brown three times with the final being 16.5 lbs, my best trout ever, also on the fly.
First perch on fly
First sucker on the fly, then a second as my pb
Best lakers on the fly. (Pb twice broken)
Best lakers thru the ice. (Pb twice broken)

Nope, Brown was a sask brown - 16.5 is huge as well!

slivers86
10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Dollies...my favorite, especially on bacon:thinking-006:

only remember eating one as a kid, from a local river back home in BC... I remember it being delicious!

BeeGuy
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Bacon tastes better than a bull trout.

Bhflyfisher
10-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Bacon tastes better than a bull trout.

bull trout wrapped in bacon?

BeeGuy
10-08-2013, 12:40 AM
bacon wrapped in bacon?

Rascal4now
10-08-2013, 06:51 AM
27" pike last Friday. Sorry, I don't know how much it weighed. Sure was scrappy with the cold water. Great fight

waterninja
10-08-2013, 01:51 PM
had some great fishing this year on different lakes and rivers, (pb pike and wallie) but what i'll remember most about 2013 is the incredibly bad weather we had in june and july that kept the rivers high and muddy, and lake fishing tough.