PDA

View Full Version : De-barbing hooks

AppleJax
10-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Just looking to see how people are de-barbing hooks. I always just bend them with good pliers flush with the shaft but sometimes the barb snaps and leaves a sharp edge. I know a lot of guys file hooks, any suggestions of tools/files to use? Just bought a bunch more gamakatsu's and I want to tie up some leaders. I always pinch my barbs before I tie for safety reasons ;)

BeeGuy
10-06-2013, 07:57 PM
dremel tool is popular

bwackwabbit
10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I use the clamp type angle forceps, lock 'em on and twist round the hook and the barbs round perfectly every time.

tight line
10-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Flat faced pliers work good for pinching on the river.

Lund rebel
10-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I just started to buy the barbless gamaktsu hooks, didn't have the patients to file the barbs off. Lol

Geezle
10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I just started to buy the barbless gamaktsu hooks, didn't have the patients to file the barbs off. Lol

Yup, I try to search out the barbless ones...WSS usually has them up to some pretty large sizes.

Aside from that, hooks that are too large to properly pinch the barbs (like the hooks on the largest Magnum Rap :evilgrin:) get the dremel treatment.

AppleJax
10-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Whenever I get the chance I do buy barbless if they are available. However I have gained a preference for Gamakatsu ciircle hooks and they don't come barbless. The plain Octupus hooks I always buy barbless.

AppleJax
10-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Sounds like ill be in the market for a dremel rotary tool... :)

CanadianBadass
10-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I usually take my needle nose, and pinch the point of the barb flat down, it leaves more of a bump or hump with no point, they still hold worms great, but releases the fish nicely , I find when I break or flatten the barb out by twisting with a pair of pliers usually weakens the hook to much, An Old Timer once showed me how to do this method, works great ,

The Key is , Run your finger skin backwards against the barb, you should not be able to poke yourselve what so ever ! This is also what Fish cops do to test your barb when fishing under Barbless rules

Recently AppleJax and myself were out, and I broke a hook off, and in the excitement of so many sturgeon, I threw my rig together quickly, and NEVER pinched my Barbs, I then caught a Sturgeon, and was quickly reminded of the importance of De-barbing hooks, It took a few seconds longer to release the fish, as well, probably wasn't as easy on the Fish as it should have been , Mistake made, and point taken lol..... I know even AJ was like " WTF Man, There's Barbs" I was simply Embarrassed, :scared0018:.

Last Night spent about an hour De-Barbing all the new Snells I just bought ,

The few seconds extra it takes to De-Barb a hook is a lot easier and and takes less time then releasing a fish with a barbed hook, not to mention its much harder on the fish too.......

AJ to Me that night ---------> :snapoutofit:

Like I said, quite embarrassing not even thinking of de barbing my hook in a desperate attempt to get my line back in the wter a few seconds earlier . Shame on me that night , I guess fishing at 4:30 am makes your mind not function properly ! but no excuses !

CanadianBadass
10-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Sounds like ill be in the market for a dremel rotary tool... :)

Ive also used a dremel , they work great , especially on larger hooks for pike or Ice fishing , It takes a Steady hand to do the smaller hooks , but works great if ya got one !

TrophyPikeHunter
10-07-2013, 10:08 AM
For treble hook, I put one hook in jaws of pliers and grab one of the hooks not in jaws and rock back and forth a few times while gently squeezing the pliers until the barb is pinched. Most times it will not break and lay nicely back down against the shaft.

CanadianBadass
10-07-2013, 10:45 AM
For treble hook, I put one hook in jaws of pliers and grab one of the hooks not in jaws and rock back and forth a few times while gently squeezing the pliers until the barb is pinched. Most times it will not break and lay nicely back down against the shaft.

Very similar to what I do ! Especially for my Ice Fishing rigs for pike !

THERICARDO
10-07-2013, 04:37 PM
AJ just bought a Dremel at pawn shop on 34th for 30 bucks... great deal

EZM
10-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Dremel is the ticket.

I found a nice little thin cylinder head (bit) that grinds them off nicely - even small hooks are no problem.

Just make sure you do it in the garage or outside - if you are doing lots there will be a grey thin cloud that wives hate .....lol

ineptflux
10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
all my river fishing hooks have been de-barbed.

everything else i haven't gotten around to yet because i haven't been lake fishing in a while.

oceanADDIKT
10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
nail file