PDA

View Full Version : First sturgeon stories

CK Angler
10-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, so with all the sturgeon pics been uploaded it got me to thinking, do you remember when you caught your first Dino?

I don't have the luxury of fishing for em up in the Mac, but I have caught one and one only back "home" in Manitoba, probably 10 years ago now, I was fishing a walleye tourney on pine falls, it was day 2 and we weren't really "in the mix" after a poor day one, so anyway, I laid my rod down in a rod holder so I could warm my hands on a propane heater (it was late October) and looked back at my rod to see it damn near bent in half! I quickly grabbed it and knew right away it was the biggest fish of my life, but she was coming up rather easily at first so there was still hope it was a monster walleye! Well that hope quickly disappeared when she came shooting straight up out of the water 6 ft from the boat like a torpedo! Now normally you would cut the line or try to shake her off cause your in the middle of a walleye tourney, but for me this was the fish of a lifetime so I turned to my dad and said "I'm not cutting my line!"
The battle was on!!! I was rigged with a 6'6" med action rod with 8lbs test so I had my work cut out for me, and after 47 min with my arms literally burning, I finally managed to land her in the boat! Honestly one of the proudest moments of my fishing life! She measured 64", and after a few photos on an old cellphone she was released to swim on!

About 10 mins after she was released the camera boat showed up lol a little late boys! So all I have for a picture is an old blury cell phone photo, but it did make the Winnipeg sun which was pretty cool, est as one of the largest fish caught in Manitoba that year.

So that's my first and only, let's hear some stories boys!

CanadianBadass
10-10-2013, 07:48 PM
My First .

Was out with a buddy , Him and I had been trying this new spot, I threw my line out, and first hit, I thought at first same thing... Big walleye? Them NASA pressed some button and shot this 36"er Straight up like a rocket and higher then I seen anything jump out of the water before,

it Took about 20 minutes and landed her,

But My Third or Fourth was very memorable

3:30 Am , me and a friend sitting in the dark, I tied my Knot, put my worms on , And threw out, Again first cast just about lost my rod out of the holder, grabbed it and again Straight out of the water, This fish is jumping and rolling on the surface I knew it was big, I have video and all you can see is black, and hear reels screaming, and then the pics of me landing it are when the son is coming up , 68" if I remember , but the fog, the moon and sun going up and down, and just the fact it was the first bite and within minutes of throwing out,
here is a pic

CK Angler
10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Right on dude! That's what fishing is all about!!

CanadianBadass
10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Right on dude! That's what fishing is all about!!

Ive been hooked ever since, 71 dinos this year , its been an amazing season for me

CK Angler
10-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Ive been hooked ever since, 71 dinos this year , its been an amazing season for me

That's pretty sweet man! It seems a lot of guys are having success this year, has it always been that good? Or just in Recent years?
me and a few boys are planning a trip next august to the Fraser river, going after some true giants! But with the good fishing guys are having a road trip into Edmonton might be easier lol

CanadianBadass
10-11-2013, 11:27 AM
That's pretty sweet man! It seems a lot of guys are having success this year, has it always been that good? Or just in Recent years?
me and a few boys are planning a trip next august to the Fraser river, going after some true giants! But with the good fishing guys are having a road trip into Edmonton might be easier lol

around here, its all about location location location ! lol

Rikkles Fisher
10-11-2013, 11:45 AM
My first sturgeon was at one of the usual spots on the NSR this spring, my friend had caught one over 30inches the last week and I was hoping same spot maybe another sturgeon might be around. I was actually a little jealous because neither of us knew how to target them and I am way more of an avid angler then he is, so I threw out my store bought pic rig which I now know is never a good method thanks to a helpful badass on the forums. But this is before I knew better so I threw out my pic rig with minnows and literally just after I felt my weight hit the ground I felt the bite and the massive pull, I never did get any jumps just a lot of rolling on the surface. I was very lucky to get this fish in with my cheap setup and wont do it again, but I got my first sturgeon to the shore a nice 50 incher! My friend had the phone ready for pics already so he snapped about 30 pics really quickly so I could pick out a few good ones, then I had that beauty in the water in no time, walked out in the river to release him in deeper water I've never seen a fish dart away with so much power, was sure a fun fish!

CK Angler
10-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Right on dude! Nice fish!

Rikkles Fisher
10-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Right on dude! Nice fish!

Thanks! It's no 60+ incher but il get there! Maybe tomorrow night!

double gun
10-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Caught my first thursday night. My brother invited me to come give it a try, and I am glad I did. It was a blast I ended up landing 4 from very small to quite big(at least in my eyes).

btridge
10-13-2013, 12:09 PM
45 minutes of pure fun to land my first big sturgeon, 7'6" long/ 90 inches.http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz152/btridge/RANDY2013271.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/btridge/media/RANDY2013271.jpg.html)

Alberta Bigbore
10-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Some serious nice fish in this thread.

Graffy91
10-13-2013, 06:12 PM
My first and only guy came out of whitemud creek last year on a pickerel rig and a worm lol.

Never targeted them before, rather catch big eyes that are all over that river. :sHa_shakeshout:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/523970_10151101291445873_38474902_n.jpg