PDA

View Full Version : Keep an eye out for stranded boats

Walleyemagnet
10-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I was out at Calling yesterday and had to tow a stranded boat back to the launch. He had been fishing out at VW and his boat died. Just him and his dog out there. I was anchored on my spot and because of the way the wind was blowing I had my back to him most of the time. I recall looking over towards him a few times and wondered what this guy was doing fishing in 50-60ft; maybe going for whites? I never gave it a second thought as I was so wrapped up in what I was doing. The wind was blowing this guy out into the middle of the lake and he'd been paddling for about 2 hours. I had my engine warming up and just about to head to another spot when I looked over and noticed that this guy was paddling. I stood up and he was waving his paddle in the air. He had even fired off a couple flares and I could recall hearing the sound but figured it was just birds or something. Turned out to be a real nice guy and his dog rode in my boat as I towed him back to the launch. He offered me some money but I turned it down, what goes around comes around, you know. Long story short, I did notice him out there an hour before I rescued him but like I say, never gave it a second thought. Just take this as a lesson, I guess. Whenever you're out there fishing and see a guy way out in the middle of nowhere maybe just drive over to see if everything's cool.

Dacotensis
10-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Years ago I was towed off a lake.
The next night I was out on the water and wouldn't you know it, I towed that guy to shore.
Without question this is something any boater would do.

Jamie
10-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I was out at Calling yesterday and had to tow a stranded boat back to the launch. He had been fishing out at VW and his boat died. Just him and his dog out there. I was anchored on my spot and because of the way the wind was blowing I had my back to him most of the time. I recall looking over towards him a few times and wondered what this guy was doing fishing in 50-60ft; maybe going for whites? I never gave it a second thought as I was so wrapped up in what I was doing. The wind was blowing this guy out into the middle of the lake and he'd been paddling for about 2 hours. I had my engine warming up and just about to head to another spot when I looked over and noticed that this guy was paddling. I stood up and he was waving his paddle in the air. He had even fired off a couple flares and I could recall hearing the sound but figured it was just birds or something. Turned out to be a real nice guy and his dog rode in my boat as I towed him back to the launch. He offered me some money but I turned it down, what goes around comes around, you know. Long story short, I did notice him out there an hour before I rescued him but like I say, never gave it a second thought. Just take this as a lesson, I guess. Whenever you're out there fishing and see a guy way out in the middle of nowhere maybe just drive over to see if everything's cool.

I was fishing the Queen Charlottes with my wife when something similar happened to us.
We were headed back to the floating lodge when our boat broke down, radio was on the fritz and Heidi and I are just floating.
One boat drove by with 2 French Canadians who spoke little English. I stood up waved them down and they just waved back.

I swear you could hear them saying Bonjour while speeding by. I looked at Heidi and said WTF? We managed to get it going and did catch our flight home.

We still laugh about that.

I am sure the couple who drove by really thought I was just saying hello.

Jamie

WillyOneStyle
10-13-2013, 11:07 AM
I was involved in a comedy of errors that left us floating in the middle of Pigeon Lake. We had one oar and half the blade fell off when we picked it off the bottom of the boat, the other half floated away as soon as it hit the water, leaving us with a toothpick. We waved a life jacket at a passing boat and got a tow back to the launch right away. Glad there are good people out there, could have been a while otherwise.

btridge
10-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Over the last 30 odd years, I have helped many boats get safely back to dock on Kootenay Lake. Thank you to all of you that have gone out of your way to help a boat in distress... Happy and Safe boating to all.

wags
10-13-2013, 02:38 PM

Good on you! If there's anything you can bank on in this world, it's Karma :)

Kokanee9
10-13-2013, 02:51 PM
If you heard the flare go off, but didn't see it, chances are you would have heard a whistle. I wonder if he had one on the boat. Or an air horn.

Also a good idea to have a high vis vest in the boat to wave around.

The guy was trying to signal you but what he had just wasn't working. He's lucky that you went over after you saw him paddling.

Sometimes a few extra safety items come in handier than a person thinks.

Graffy91
10-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Atta boy. Good on ya.

Lornce
10-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Good for you for being a good Samaritan.

Fishfinder
10-14-2013, 07:57 AM
If you heard the flare go off, but didn't see it, chances are you would have heard a whistle. I wonder if he had one on the boat. Or an air horn.

Also a good idea to have a high vis vest in the boat to wave around.

The guy was trying to signal you but what he had just wasn't working. He's lucky that you went over after you saw him paddling.

Sometimes a few extra safety items come in handier than a person thinks.

X2. Well done WM.:)