PDA

View Full Version : Mcgregor ice up

Flieguy
10-14-2013, 11:52 AM
about what time does mcgregor ice up? late november? I've fished it only once before and this year I want to hit it early for whites.

TROLLER
10-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Don't think you will get on too many so. Alta. res. much before early to mid Dec. not unless you don't mind testing your luck on real thin ice.

aulrich
10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Last year we were on late November, but it took a board to get the first foot or two. the year before it was December 15th on Travers, year before that it was December 5th

So late November to mid December, it depends.

jacenbeers
10-16-2013, 10:01 AM
I agree with Aulrich. This is an annual ritual for me for the past 4 years and every year it varies a bit. If you just want to fish in general on solid ice then you will need to wait for a few weeks into December. If you are there for first ice when it is only a few sketchy inches thick, it could happen as early as the last week of November.

BPman
10-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Safe ice can be as early as the end of November or as late as mid December. Late ice has caused us to miss the whitefish spawn period more than once... Temperatures and winds seem to combine some years t prevent an early solid freeze, at least at the north end. The bays will freeze earlier, of course.