PDA

View Full Version : Lure/Bait Suggestions

pinelakeperch
10-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Hey guys,

I've been fishing Crawling in the same spot for about a year and a half now using minnows and a 3/8oz jig with a ton of success. I fish in the exact same spot each time and catch 5-15 fish (primarily walleye) in a 2 hour time frame. The problem is, I haven't caught anything of significant size despite knowing that the fish are there. I've caught decent fish but nothing to write home about, I know the fish are there (seen them or seen them be caught) but I haven't had a sniff. I can only cast a maximum of 10 feet and am elevated so casting and retrieving is difficult. Basically all I can do is vertically jig off of the bottom.

My question is, does anyone have any lure/bait suggestions for vertical jigging in approx. 10-12 feet of water? I know there are big pike in the area (had a 20lb+ pike take a walleye off of my line in the spot) as well as big walleye and burbot. Should I simply try bigger minnows? I've been using Candle Lake Shiners. Any help or direction is appreciated!

B_Type13X2
10-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Hey guys,

I've been fishing Crawling in the same spot for about a year and a half now using minnows and a 3/8oz jig with a ton of success. I fish in the exact same spot each time and catch 5-15 fish (primarily walleye) in a 2 hour time frame. The problem is, I haven't caught anything of significant size despite knowing that the fish are there. I've caught decent fish but nothing to write home about, I know the fish are there (seen them or seen them be caught) but I haven't had a sniff.

My question is, does anyone have any lure/bait suggestions for vertical jigging in approx. 10-12 feet of water? I know there are big pike in the area (had a 20lb+ pike take a walleye off of my line in the spot) as well as big walleye and burbot. Should I simply try bigger minnows? I've been using Candle Lake Shiners. Any help or direction is appreciated!

switch to a big spoon or a large crank bait, fish will go for anything that they think they can swallow and I think I read somewhere that they can eat anything that is up to 1/4 of their own length. If you don't want small fish just the big ones that's what you should do.

sanjuanworm
10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
switch to a big spoon or a large crank bait, fish will go for anything that they think they can swallow and I think I read somewhere that they can eat anything that is up to 1/4 of their own length. If you don't want small fish just the big ones that's what you should do.

and perhaps jump in my boat and show me where this spot is.

pinelakeperch
10-14-2013, 08:12 PM

It has to be something that I can jig vertically with. I'll edit my initial post to make it clearer. Thanks for your input!

pinelakeperch
10-14-2013, 08:12 PM
and perhaps jump in my boat and show me where this spot is.

You don't need a boat to get to my spot. That's all I'm giving ya:)

B_Type13X2
10-14-2013, 08:44 PM
It has to be something that I can jig vertically with. I'll edit my initial post to make it clearer. Thanks for your input!

Get a jigging rap, or switch to using Herring.

pinelakeperch
10-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Get a jigging rap, or switch to using Herring.

Thanks for the suggestion on the jigging rap, I'll pick one up. It'll save me on minnows, those buggers are sure subtle biters.

huntsfurfish
10-15-2013, 12:42 AM
You are using way to heavy of a jig.

Try a lighter jig for that depth 1/8 oz. is lots or even 1/16th.

You might have to hunt a bit to find a wide enough gap on the 1/16 oz.

Cabelas makes a 1/16 ounce in size 1 or 1/0. Even some size 1/8 are on smallish hooks for spottail shiners.

pinelakeperch
10-15-2013, 12:51 AM
You are using way to heavy of a jig.

Try a lighter jig for that depth 1/8 oz. is lots or even 1/16th.

You might have to hunt a bit to find a wide enough gap on the 1/16 oz.

Cabelas makes a 1/16 ounce in size 1 or 1/0. Even some size 1/8 are on smallish hooks for spottail shiners.

In my experience, I've found that any lighter of a jig doesn't get to the bottom quick enough. It's fast moving water (head gate) and I have a particular spot no wider than the box of a truck that I have to jig vertically in. Any lighter and the current just pulls my jig away. When the water is very calm (rare), I'll switch to a lighter jig. I tend to catch more fish in this situation but I don't think it can be attributed to the weight of the jig, it's primarily because the stillness of the water allows me to stay in the exact spot I want.

Thanks for your input!

I'm also not having a problem catching fish whatsoever, just looking for other strategies to catch the bigger ones that I know are looking at my bait, disinterested.

huntsfurfish
10-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Rodger that.

Kokanee9
10-15-2013, 01:22 AM
How about changing methods and going to a crankbait.

You have had success with what you are using, but want bigger fish. The ones you want might be out a little deeper and a deep running crank may be the ticket.

Or, alternatively, keep using the same method and change spots.

pinelakeperch
10-15-2013, 01:26 AM
How about changing methods and going to a crankbait.

You have had success with what you are using, but want bigger fish. The ones you want might be out a little deeper and a deep running crank may be the ticket.

Or, alternatively, keep using the same method and change spots.

I don't have anywhere to cast. I fish at the headgates, my only option is vertical jigging. I've caught many a Walter in deep water using a shad rap, but the opportunity doesn't present itself in this particular spot.

cube
10-15-2013, 05:17 PM
I would look at using some of the British legered bait techniques.

such as the "Popped up leger rig for pike and zander" or the one at the bottom of the page.

http://www.predatoralarms.co.uk/rig-tips-bait-tips.html

Good luck

EZM
10-15-2013, 09:51 PM
I would look at using some of the British legered bait techniques.

such as the "Popped up leger rig for pike and zander" or the one at the bottom of the page.

http://www.predatoralarms.co.uk/rig-tips-bait-tips.html

Good luck

Cool link - some good ideas there !!!!

Geezle
10-16-2013, 08:27 AM
I don't have anywhere to cast. I fish at the headgates, my only option is vertical jigging. I've caught many a Walter in deep water using a shad rap, but the opportunity doesn't present itself in this particular spot.

Sounds like your spot is greatly limiting your lure options and tactics...all you can do there is drop your bait down, jig it, and hope for the best. It could be that the larger fish you're looking for simply aren't there, or at least not very often.

You've been fishing the same 'spot' for a year and a half with roughly the same results...perhaps it's time to change it up a bit :)

Otherwise, about all I can suggest for fishing the little 'hole' you describe is to throw larger bait down and hope for the best.

You also mention being elevated. How high up are you? It could make landing a large fish (hauling it up by the hook/line?) rather difficult for both you and the fish as well.