PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake/Lacombe F&G/Ice fishing Tourney

Grizzled
02-17-2007, 07:00 PM
What A huge disappointment !!! 3500 people..parking and room for probably 2000 MAX..Poor part of the lake for fishing..Hardly any fish caught..THEN.. draw prizes were only available for those friends and family with special stamps on thier tickets...Cause it was "An Alberta Gaming Commission" rule..was the story..UNTIL..EVERY SINGLE person walking off the ice Vowed never to return..and were driving away..then they were running around saying find a way to park again..some how ...we are NOW including everyone in the draw prizes..COMPLETE BS WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS GROUP AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vexilar
02-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the letdown glad I didn't enter.>:

jason28calgary
02-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes there was the apparant flip flop on the tickets thing but was told results of the draws would be posted on website on tues or winners would be contacted.... we were leaving early aswell because we didnt have a special draw tickets. then as we drive by prize area we hear that all tickects were eligable.... then an organizer told us of the posting on their website on tuesday... wasnt very organized but still had a good time , in futre they do need to make a bigger effort as the line for the early bird was retarded...if there is no early bird draw why buy a early bird tickect i say?

inked
02-18-2007, 01:48 PM
that was the worst fishing tourney i have ever been to what a poor setup the way they had the holes 5 feet apart i will never go back and i don't recomend that anyone ever go

arctic800
02-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes, it was kind of crazy. I think that it would be hard to organise an event of this size. I know that there was some confusion at the end and the amount of ice on the water was crazy, but for the most part, I found the event to be pretty well organised. Maybe next time they should have assigned holes instead of the mad rush stampede. As far as the holes being close together, I agree. With the number of people that they have to keep together and honest I don't really know how else they would do it. There was people in line at 3:00 the afternoon before, and we arrived at 1:30am and had 100 or so people in front of us. I ended up catching 2 ling and placed 47th. As far as that part of the lake not being good for fishing, I have been very successfull in that area of the lake this year. I think that the low numbers of fish caught could be attributed to 3000+ lines in the water in such a small area. Being my first time in such a large contest it was definately an experience and I would go back.

inked
02-18-2007, 07:18 PM
they should limit the number of people that can enter so there is an even chance at getting a prize. or make the fishing area bigger so you don't have to rub shoulders with the people next to you and have a decent chance at catching a fish

Logan
02-18-2007, 10:34 PM
I had a great time there, fishing was fantastic I managed to bring in 3 Ling in under one hour MYSELF. I won a new smoker, 3 rod & reel combos..... had a good time met lots of new friends out there. The stamp on the back of your tag rule was silly but like Larry the gentleman that puts on the tounry every year said it was not his call it was the governments.

If you get there early and waited in line like myself and my fishing buddies we were in the frist 30 people in line, we put our pails in the line at 12:30pm on friday. People have to remember this is not a small event $25,000 is up for grabs, folks literally come from all over the world for this so its going to be crowded and not everyones going to be happy....make the best of the situation it was sunny out and people seemed to be in good spirits around where i was fishing.

Would you have rather spent the day at work??? I didnt think so...

soiler1
02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
that tournament has always been like that.this is the first year i've missed in 8 yearss.haven't caught a fish in it in years.we were always in line by 2 or 3am with a fire pit to drink around.they have 2 have the area in a poor fishing area on the lake ever since the enviormentalist groups raised a stink about it at pigeon when the derby first got going 10 or 12 years ago.always meet interesting people in the line up so we've always had fun.just not alot of luck with the fish.

Grizzled
02-19-2007, 12:23 AM
So then "Larry" violated government rules by suddenly allowing all ticket holders to be eligable for draw prizes ?
What would the "Gaming Commision" think of that ???

arctic800
02-19-2007, 12:34 AM
I believe that it was his choice, and he is the one who has to worry about that, not us. As far as I am concerned, I really do not see what the problem is.

jason28calgary
02-20-2007, 08:08 AM
www.originalicefishingcon...lberta.htm (http://www.originalicefishingcontest.com/alberta.htm)
here is prize list of the draws

moosefever
02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I wasn't really sure what was going on at the end of the tournament with the speaker, but I think it would only be fair if everyones ticket would be included in the reamaining prizes to be drawn. I myself didn't get a bite but the 2 big jacks were caught about 30 yards be hind my wife and I. I bet in all we had 30 fish caught within 50 yards of use. DAMN DAMN DAMN !! Oh well that's fishin. I really liked that when someone caught something there was always an audience of at least a hundred people cheering them on and congratulating them. That to me was showing great sportsmanship. Way to go everyone. I'll be back next year forsure. This time I will wear insulated bib waders!!!

Grizzled
02-23-2007, 08:56 PM
If you want to make this a better derby...disclose all the rules in your advertising and at ticket points of sale...reduce the price...allow fishing any where on the lake...drill your own holes...allow parking on the lake...have more than one weigh station...Eveyone gets an equal chance at all prizes...won or drawn for....

huntinfishincampin
02-23-2007, 10:02 PM
This derby is well run compared to other mickey mouse operations. I do not see a much better way of keeping everyone honest with 25 G on the line. There is no way anyone can tell me that if you were allowed to fish anywhere and bring a fish in that people would not cheat. I have been to many derby's for alot less in prizes and people are still cheating. When you are talking big $, quads, boats etc. you have to keep it pretty tight.
just my opinion
hfc

MB
02-24-2007, 04:08 AM
That's as good as it get's! The Monkey top saloon in Bentley put's on a derby every year, drill your own hole, the whole lake...that's ridiculous! Gull is a big lake I'm sure people cheated and the fish did'nt have to be live!! You have to look at this derby as a lottery! It's a lot more fun that way.

Ryanlookingforperch
02-24-2007, 04:34 AM
the fish did not have to be alive?

mikevv
02-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Great derby. been in it 6 years in a row, caught a fish every year and won a prize every year. last year our group of 6 caught 18 fish and won 14 fishing rods and 10 major prizes. This year we won 6 prizes including the 2nd place quad.
What to do better for next year????? keep all the whiners out and have a better hamb stand
MikeVV

Dewie
02-24-2007, 11:24 PM
You should put on your own derby. see if you make everyone happy. If your mad that you lost $75 then dont go in it next year. I thought it was great derby and an even better day as well had a chance at $25,000 cash. The only dissapointing part was the poor loosers in the crowd calling the staff names & the foul language at prize area. By the sonds of it you left before the derby was over so you really dont know what happend.

P.S my group of 5 didn't even have a bite!

BL
02-25-2007, 02:44 PM
I only derby I didn't enjoy was last year when it was so friggin cold. For me to say that, ya gotta believe it was cold. The flooded snow did not bother me as I saw it as an advantage. There were quite a few areas where not many people ventured due to the difficulty in walking. Therefore, more "open" areas with fewer anglers. I'll go again. They need a better area for entering and leaving the parking area. Last year we just drove across the lake to Bently. You could not drive very far due to the heavy snow and flooded water. BL

bhunting
02-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Mikevv is correct about how well they did last year.They did so well that they made a new rule up in their honour. NO PASSING OF FISH TO YOUR FRIENDS.....or in your guys case other LACOMBE FISH AND GAME MEMBERS. I fished beside you fellas the past couple of years. It was great how your buds did not pass fish this year but swapped their touques with the passes stapled to them.I actually complained to staff and they told me they can't do anything about it till next year.Good luck with that????

2007 Rule change *** No passing of hats,touques,or head gear of any sort.***

That was a nice boat you won last year Mikevv and yes, I'm jealious.Won't be seeing you boys next year.

mikevv
02-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Just to set the story straight bhunting, your right last year there was no rule about passing fish off, I passed 2 fish off to 2 kids of a friend of mine who were fishing in the next 5 rows in; non who were or are Lacombe Fish and Game members. We also bought 2 tickets each therefore we got to enter a total of 12 fish.and we let 3 or 4 small ling go (even though there were people around us who offered us 50$ each for the fish).
This year we had my 80 year dad with us (who walks with a cane and who had to be drove out to his hole by the handicap quad) and after talking to the derby mang. found out that I COULD WEIGH IN HIS FISH FOR HIM as the walk to the tent was to far. He caught a ling and Yes I did switch hats with him and will do the same next year.
PS
Last year we did not win a boat
Hope this clears things up a little
Mikevv

Grizzled
02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Now I understand why you like the tourney so much and how it is "your" group ends up with so many prizes...:rolleyes

Dewie
02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
It seems to me that some people are a little sour with this derby. 1st off if it happend to you guys I am pretty sure that you guys would pass fish too. 2nd I would think the reason that they catch fish every year is they do some pre-fishing.

If your unhappy then don't go. Nothing was done so they were obeying the rules.

bhunting
02-28-2007, 08:43 PM
:rollin Those were some big kids:rollin
The fella south of you guys(Mike) won a boat
Sorry I guess there's two Mike's in the group.
Your buddy used your touque because....?
It doesn't matter anyways.There's 8 of us not going next year.
8 x $75 = $600 that's a nice hamb stand you can buy:rollin
Good luck to you next year because you guys can catch fish.;)

Grizzled
03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Right on bhunting...6 of us will donate elsewhere as well...not into different rules for different people..

Grizzled
12-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Memory of this derby still not good...sounded like Newell derby way better..and big fish as well....

inked
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
sounds like a good idea