PDA

View Full Version : Anglers to kill off rainbows....

Sitkaspruce
10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
....in the Jellystone

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/19/reluctant-anglers-drafted-in-war-on-fish/

Agree or leave it as is??

(Should it be in this section?? If not plaese move??)

Cheers

SS

Selkirk
10-19-2013, 06:15 PM
. . . Should it be in this section?? . . .

In a word; 'No', but the article makes for a good read ... Thanks!

No worries, the Mods will move it to the Fishing Forum for you.

Mac

Taco
10-19-2013, 08:40 PM
In a word YES, Alberta already has angler kill programs in place to help protect native trout in certain southern Alberta streams.

the local angler
10-19-2013, 09:47 PM
ya i find it really similar to brook trout project. i love the brookies and love the fact that they have a high population in their reproduction but also see how overwhelming they are to other species. it seems to be working here in alberta using anglers to suppress the population of certain species but i find if mother nature steps in say like a flood like what we just had it could disrupt the populations of alot of species and bring a whole new bowl of trouble like more non native species.

airforce2
10-20-2013, 03:47 AM
That was the law down there maybe not in yellowstone but in one of states boardering it 5 years ago. All rainbows caught had to be killed, you didn't even have to keep them. But you could not relese them alive. I don't know why it's news now

Taco
10-20-2013, 11:05 AM
That was the law down there maybe not in yellowstone but in one of states boardering it 5 years ago. All rainbows caught had to be killed, you didn't even have to keep them. But you could not relese them alive. I don't know why it's news now

Idaho was about the first to encourage killing rainbows in South Fork of the Snake River to help protect Snake River Fine Spot Cutthroats. It sent the Adherents of The Sanctified Church of Catch and Release into a holy roller tizzy.

troutkiller
10-20-2013, 11:55 AM
hell ya. must kill all trouts.

Chief16
10-20-2013, 12:04 PM
"Rainbow trout have been swimming the waters of Yellowstone, the U.S.'s first-ever national park, for more than a hundred years"

To quote the text it seems to me that the genetics of the cutthroat will already be dilute and no pure strains left if it is like the cutthroat streams here. I understand their desire to want to return to the way it was before but I don't belive that is possible. I personally would not fish a river where killing was mandatory, I can't even remember the last time I kept a wild fish.

Taco
10-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Better re-read the literature Chief. There are an estimated 50-60 pure populations of cutthroat left in Alberta, some with less than a dozen fish remaining.

Chief16
10-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Better re-read the literature Chief. There are an estimated 50-60 pure populations of cutthroat left in Alberta, some with less than a dozen fish remaining.

I never implied there wasn't. The ones mixed with rainbows are what I'm talking about

Michael_Brown
10-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Doesn't matter it won't work.

If anyone can find one example where this theory has ever worked, anywhere, let me know.