PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Rod advice

FishAb
10-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Looking to get a new sturgeon rod. i have the reel just need to get a rod. Any suggestions. Im looking for a decent sized wrong that is super stiff.

WayneChristie
10-20-2013, 05:28 PM
whites or lake sturgeon? you dont want one thats super stiff for lake sturgeon, you want a bit of sensitivity at the tip. I like my uglystik tiger rod, not too keen on the guides though, mine are wearing through with my 80 pound braid on the baitcasting rod

lochness
10-20-2013, 10:14 PM
whites or lake sturgeon? you dont want one thats super stiff for lake sturgeon, you want a bit of sensitivity at the tip. I like my uglystik tiger rod, not too keen on the guides though, mine are wearing through with my 80 pound braid on the baitcasting rod

Where did you buy yours?

EZM
10-21-2013, 08:18 AM
FishAB - Do you have a price range in mind ? I have a M/H 8.5' Wild River series made by St.Croix - it's about $150 or so and is perfect for the river - stiff enough for the fight and certainly sensitive enough to detect a soft pickup.

Wayne - try nail polish on your guides - I have heard it can really help with braid cutting through plastic eyes. Short of replacing your eyes - this might be worth a try. Pink is nice.

Lund rebel
10-21-2013, 09:46 AM
I bought a couple of the ugly stick catfish rods the were like 30 bucks or so at the fishing hole 8 foot med heavy. Work for the river and this way not concerned if I fall down the bank and break it. Defiantly not as nice as ezms rod but still works.

LCCFisherman
10-21-2013, 09:51 AM
X2 on the st. croix wild river. I have the 9' H baitcasting, works great as a LKST and LKTR rod. Super sensative, love it!

RapStaff
10-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I've been using a Northcoast rod made by...... You guessed it RAPALA!
I'm kind of partial to the long rods 10'6". The last Sturgeon I brought to the boat was just over 40 pounds. Made short work of her in 17 min. I think they retail about 180$ IMO worth every penny.
Good luck in your hunt for a rod.

pikergolf
10-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Not the guides fault, it's the crap that gets stuck in the braid, especially silt. Like having a mini abrasive belt running through the eyes.

BeeGuy
10-23-2013, 10:54 PM
If that rod is good for a few hundred sturgeon, it should be ok for most of us lol

Secret coulee
10-24-2013, 05:57 AM
If that rod is good for a few hundred sturgeon, it should be ok for most of us lol

Lol how true

BeeGuy
10-24-2013, 07:37 AM
It really is funny.

They should get Wayne to do an ad for them.

"This Ugly Stick Tiger cost $75 and might only land 300 sturgeon."

Good info about the silt on the line and guide abrasion. Something to keep in mind when I finally fish in the chuck again.

AppleJax
10-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I have been using a Berkley Glowstick for my sturgeon fishing. 44$, but its only landed 9 sturgeon so far...

Geezle
10-24-2013, 08:04 AM
I've been using a Northcoast rod made by...... You guessed it RAPALA!
I'm kind of partial to the long rods 10'6". The last Sturgeon I brought to the boat was just over 40 pounds. Made short work of her in 17 min. I think they retail about 180$ IMO worth every penny.
Good luck in your hunt for a rod.

I used a Rapala North Coast rod for the better part of my sturgeon fishing season last year, and I've gotta say I'm not a big fan.

The functionality of the rod was okay, however the handle is garbage. After very little use early in the season the butt cap totally broke off, and the cork filler in the handle is wearing out, leaving it full of divots.

Unfortunately it's the one that turned me off Rapala rods for good :o

These days I'm back to my old 8'6" Shimano Clarus salmon/steelhead rod :)

AppleJax
10-24-2013, 09:05 AM
I used a Rapala North Coast rod for the better part of my sturgeon fishing season last year, and I've gotta say I'm not a big fan.

The functionality of the rod was okay, however the handle is garbage. After very little use early in the season the butt cap totally broke off, and the cork filler in the handle is wearing out, leaving it full of divots.

Unfortunately it's the one that turned me off Rapala rods for good :o

These days I'm back to my old 8'6" Shimano Clarus salmon/steelhead rod :)

I've experienced that same instance with butt-caps on 2 of my Rapala rods. A little carpenters glue seemed to fix it, unfortunately it has tainted my preference for them and I probably will not buy another.

Geezle
10-24-2013, 09:19 AM
I've experienced that same instance with butt-caps on 2 of my Rapala rods. A little carpenters glue seemed to fix it, unfortunately it has tainted my preference for them and I probably will not buy another.

Wish I wouldn't have lost that end so I could glue it back on! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

AppleJax
10-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Wish I wouldn't have lost that end so I could glue it back on! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You might want to get that checked out!:scared0018:

Geezle
10-24-2013, 10:15 AM
You might want to get that checked out!:scared0018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx4aqNv3BL8&feature=youtube_gdata_player