PDA

View Full Version : RDR Whitefish population

boroumand8
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Went out to the river yesterday, I caught about 25 whitefish in an hour, a record for me since before the 2005 flood. They were all keepers, but I didn't keep any. Who else thinks that the mountain whitefish population is making a good recovery?

BeeGuy
10-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with the RDR, but imo, it really matters which stretch is being discussed wrt dammed rivers.

boroumand8
10-20-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with the RDR, but imo, it really matters which stretch is being discussed wrt dammed rivers.

The stretch from the dam to Red Deer. That's also were the majority of the whitefish live.

fish gunner
10-20-2013, 09:10 PM
The stretch from the dam to Red Deer. That's also were the majority of the whitefish live.

Oh goody , yes numbers are on some what of a recovery . Size is way down if pre 05 is to be considered . With walleye on a steep climb white fish will most lightly never make numbers or size to pre 05 with out the aid of man.

BeeGuy
10-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Hard to say.

One thing is certain.

There's not a whole lotta research on the subject.

fish gunner
10-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Hard to say.

One thing is certain.

What research I have viewed is reflected in my last post. whites and browns are under pressure from walters and soon walter size will start to drop.

boroumand8
10-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Hard to say.

One thing is certain.

Yeah, They need to do a survey, it's been awfully quiet since the flood of 05

the local angler
10-21-2013, 06:01 PM
the last time i saw a white fish out of the red deer river was back in the late 80's with my dad. been searching but haven't really fished them all that much. ussually around the drumheller area even though i am told whites population in the higher reaches are much better.

fishinguy99
10-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Whitefish usually start spawning in the fall so that could be the reason for the high number of fish you caught because they school in large numbers.

Alberta Bigbore
10-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Whitefish usually start spawning in the fall so that could be the reason for the high number of fish you caught because they school in large numbers.

Ya this is a great time for them. I used to hit the RDR for whites to use in fish patties.

Red Bullets
10-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Before the flood and oil spill between Sundre and the dam I caught lots of whitefish. Haven't fished it since the spill. Maybe it is still closed to fishing.

boroumand8
10-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Usually I find that they school by the bridges such as the penhold bridge. It is not closed for fishing, you can even keep 3 over 30cm below the dam. The farthest downstream that I've caught one since the 05 flood would be jofree bridge

lockend
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I know it's not the same but the little red deer river has more white fish then I have ever seen befor swing around. Big schools and they were not scared to bite any thing throwen at them

tight line
10-21-2013, 09:36 PM
I have seen several whites over 5lbs caught below RD while targeting Goldeye in the late 90's. More recently have caught some decent ones up on the FTR. There has always been a healthy population of whites, most people seem to focus on the larger Browns and Walleye

fish gunner
10-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I have seen several whites over 5lbs caught below RD while targeting Goldeye in the late 90's. More recently have caught some decent ones up on the FTR. There has always been a healthy population of whites, most people seem to focus on the larger Browns and Walleye
There is a small population of lake whites in the rdr.a 5lb rmw say 24"ish fish that would make Ab record material. The mouth of the medicine holds good numbers ,the climb is worth it.
Look out for ole'white stripe. Lol.

tight line
10-21-2013, 10:06 PM
There is a small population of lake whites in the rdr.a 5lb rmw say 24"ish fish that would make Ab record material. The mouth of the medicine holds good numbers ,the climb is worth it.
Look out for ole'white stripe. Lol.

100% RMW, ive been pretty up two speed on IDing fish since i was about..6...lol. we kept 2 and weighed them on a butcher scale, think they were 5-2 or 5-3. I Think the record was and still is 5-5. Forum member Stien caught the biggest one. They were tanks! Very dark almost gold coloured. This was down stream of Burbank quite a ways.

fish gunner
10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
100% RMW, ive been pretty up two speed on IDing fish since i was about..6...lol. we kept 2 and weighed them on a butcher scale, think they were 5-2 or 5-3. I Think the record was and still is 5-5. Forum member Stien caught the biggest one. They were tanks! Very dark almost gold coloured. This was down stream of Burbank quite a ways.

Wow , must say them be tanks . Congrats .

tight line
10-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Just looked 5-10 caught in 91 Gap lake. New they were close. Either way they were great catches, and a big surprise for two guys skipping grade 12 biology to go catch a few Goldeye! Lol

fish gunner
10-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Hmm similar life experience only I lived in kitimat in gr 12 lol.

scel
10-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Hmm...
Interesting. I have been there twice this month. In mid August, my friend and I caught 40 in a few hours. The last 3 times, I have only caught 4. I have caught many other anomolies (including a couple beauty RDR browns---the prize).

I am glad to hear that someone else had some luck. I was beginning to get a little worried.