PDA

View Full Version : pop-up style tents-aanchoring

Flieguy
10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
are they easy to anchor? I don't know how they'd work in places like spray... I also love to fish during chinooks!

WayneChristie
10-22-2013, 07:42 PM
the screw in anchors are easy to use, if its really windy do one side before you open it up unless you can run like Forrest Gump! in a chinook they tend to melt the ice around them so you will have to redo them a few times likely

Flieguy
10-22-2013, 07:47 PM
the screw in anchors are easy to use, if its really windy do one side before you open it up unless you can run like Forrest Gump! in a chinook they tend to melt the ice around them so you will have to redo them a few times likely

thanks wayne! you're a friggin encyclopedia of fishing information aren't you? :fishing:

WayneChristie
10-22-2013, 07:52 PM
no Im just old :sHa_sarcasticlol:

the local angler
10-22-2013, 07:53 PM
a redneck thing i do is old torn jeans and pants i cut the legs off and seal one end shut and a draw string on the other end and fill them with snow and or slush to make mini sand bags to put on the flaps of the tent. end of the day empty and packs very well and easily washed.

fish gunner
10-22-2013, 08:17 PM
I sink my auger half way thru the ice and tie on low on the auger.we dont usually have to deal with the same winds you guys deal with down south. :)

mayuan
10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
a redneck thing i do is old torn jeans and pants i cut the legs off and seal one end shut and a draw string on the other end and fill them with snow and or slush to make mini sand bags to put on the flaps of the tent. end of the day empty and packs very well and easily washed.

Do not do this on Spray, might be fine on other lakes. Use all your anchors on Spray and angle one of the corners into the wind if possible.

bwackwabbit
10-22-2013, 08:42 PM
A tarp grommet kit from princess auto and 4 extra anchors from WM and you can fish in 60k+. Put a grommet in each corner of the skirt, and drill each anchor through an 8" long piece of pressure treated 1x4. Once the anchors are in place so that the wood is holding the skirt to the ice you are golden!
(This works best when using the regular anchoring method as well on windy days).

ghostguy6
10-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Try to find some ice climbing screws on kijiji or ebay. They are a lot easier to put into the ice than the screws that come with the tents. They also hold a lot better.

MoFugger21
10-22-2013, 10:49 PM
I've found taking a cordless drill and pre-drilling holes for the ice screws can help make it easier to screw them in. It also seems to help to keep the ice from chipping away as you're twisting in the screws.

ak-71
10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
I do pre-drill. Climbing screws in MEC are $$$.

cube
10-23-2013, 02:26 PM

cube
10-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Try to find some ice climbing screws on kijiji or ebay. They are a lot easier to put into the ice than the screws that come with the tents. They also hold a lot better.

X2

cube
10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
in a chinook they tend to melt the ice around them so you will have to redo them a few times likely

If you put a small pile of snow on top of the screw they will not melt out nearly as fast. Personally I use climbing ice screws as they are fast to place, hold better, and do not dinner plate the ice when going in. Given they will last an ice fisherman his entire life time they are not all that expensive in the long run.

huntsfurfish
10-23-2013, 04:23 PM
I also use ice climbing screws. Buy used ones on ebay-cheaper. They are worth it!:)

AppleJax
10-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Eskimo ice screws, done.

bwackwabbit
10-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Eskimo ice screws, done.

Agreed they are the best by a mile.

needmoretoys
10-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Digger anchors make one called thrice angle. Check out http://www.diggeranchor.com/Ice_Angel.html

You just drill a shallow hole and drop it in. I think a guy could make some with a few old saw blades.

vital shok
10-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I just copied the ice angel anchor ill fab them at work on Monday and try them in a bucket it was super easy to draw just don't know if I have the measurements correct but time will tell. I do think saw blades would work .Im wondering if I should use stainless steel or 1/4 inch aluminum any thoughts ?