PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for a big bull

billycap
10-24-2013, 06:51 PM
With cold temps come the clear low waters of fall. Too much work has left me little time to find my PB bully. Had originally wanted to give myself 3 weeks to find a hog but its looking like a next friday cutoff. Was out today at a local river trying a few of my haunts. The first pool yielded a few smallies. The second hole i tied on a monster spoon and hucked it up stream. At first i thought i was snagged on the bottom then it just took off and the drag started going as this beast was pulling 30lbs almost to the breaking point. As i started to slowly reel this thing in it changed direction cruising max warp down stream. I tried to reel the loose slack in as fast as could but by the time I caught up to the line there was a loud snap and all i brought in was my line and a tiny knot where me hook used to be. I tied another spoon and wham first cast i brought in what looked like a salmon to me. Ive never seen salmon here in late oct so am at a loss for what kind it was. Tried a red devil and for 3 more casts i had 3 more fish on landing one. After releasing my second "salmon"???? i decided to call it quits as your not aloud to fish for salmon even if they happening to be occupying a favorite bull trout spot. After getting home and looking at the salmon id page im confused as to what kind of fish this is. Having just released them without taking them from the water and not looking into the mouth i cant say forsure. If your ever wondering about a fish i know from experience to just post a pic here.

so here is a couple bullies and a couple mystery fish:

fish gunner
10-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Coho , nice coho. they are basically last runs in most rivers. I have seen them in the upper kitimat near christmas. Can be tough to call but that kipe is pure coho . Great colors on the bull/ dollies.

tight line
10-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Wicked Colours!

yetiseeker
10-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Agreed - definitely Coho.

BeeGuy
10-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Very cool.

I've pulled some big chinooks out of the Holmes in late summer, but never saw any coho up there.

gl with the big bulls!

huntin'fool
10-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Very cool Ryan! The coho's face is a dead give away. That body however, could easily be mistaken for a steelhead to some!
Good fishin'!!

Alberta Bigbore
10-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Nice fish!!!

Bhflyfisher
10-25-2013, 08:53 PM
its crazy because those coho really arent that dark!!