PDA

View Full Version : bail-less reels

WayneChristie
10-27-2013, 11:21 AM
looking at this one online at BP, havent found any demo videos yet, but they are in stock now. anyone ever try one out? thinking hard about one for spring, get tired of the bail flipping over on a long bomb and watching my weight land on the far shore of the river :bad_boys_20:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbnzSo0Enfs

calgarygringo
10-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Google bailess spinning reels and lots of info to sift through. I was looking at them a while back too.

BeeGuy
10-27-2013, 02:39 PM
An alternative might be a surf casting spinning reel.

Some of them are designed so that the bail wont close while casting heavy lures and rigs.

EZM
10-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I have never seen one - looks like a great idea ............ if it works well .........

Wild&Free
10-27-2013, 03:47 PM
never had my 'bail' close on a bait caster.

Wes_G
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
I am also wondering why you don't just use a baitcaster?

cube
10-28-2013, 08:28 AM
looking at this one online at BP, havent found any demo videos yet, but they are in stock now. anyone ever try one out? thinking hard about one for spring, get tired of the bail flipping over on a long bomb and watching my weight land on the far shore of the river :bad_boys_20:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbnzSo0Enfs

Here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdO4fQwDIZk

My one concern though would be, in your case as you are bottom fishing, if a fish picks up your bait as swims toward you there might be enough slack that your line falls off the roller wheel and getting it back on with the sturgeon fighting you might get interesting.

If you look at the vid it looks like constant tension is required for the system to work.

Good Luck

WayneChristie
10-28-2013, 07:12 PM
I use a baitcaster too. problem is the heavy weights needed during runoff to keep the bait where it needs to be. and baitcasters can also close and fire a weight across the river. just wondering if anyone has tried out one of these bailless, not sure I want to go that way but Im always open to new ideas, especially if it brings in a few more fish. only had one or two sturgeon swim towards the rod when they take the bait, most head for Saskatchewan soon as they feel any weight :sHa_shakeshout:

Geezle
10-28-2013, 08:27 PM
I use a baitcaster too. problem is the heavy weights needed during runoff to keep the bait where it needs to be. and baitcasters can also close and fire a weight across the river. just wondering if anyone has tried out one of these bailless, not sure I want to go that way but Im always open to new ideas, especially if it brings in a few more fish. only had one or two sturgeon swim towards the rod when they take the bait, most head for Saskatchewan soon as they feel any weight :sHa_shakeshout:

What baitcast reels are you using Wayne?

I've never had one 'close' on me and send my gear sailing...though I have had a few overruns that cut my cast short :sHa_sarcasticlol:

EZM
10-28-2013, 08:41 PM
I toss some pretty heavy stuff with my Abu Garcia C4 - a little thumb tension and you can get excellent control casting some pretty heavy lures or sinkers. 8oz-10oz should be a breeze (as long as the rod can handle it). That should be plenty of weight for most rivers out here.

I am still curious to hear about the bailess reel ...... I won't be running out to get one to field test it.

AppleJax
10-28-2013, 08:45 PM
What baitcast reels are you using Wayne?

I've never had one 'close' on me and send my gear sailing...though I have had a few overruns that cut my cast short :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I've used both and personally I feel more comfortable chucking heavy weight with the baitcaster over a spinning reel now.... I did lose a lot of weights getting used to it but once I got it figured there's no way i'm turning back.

WayneChristie
10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
I use a Magda Pro. dont mind the weights so much, I cast my own, I tie them on with lighter line which is probably most of the reason they sail off into the sunset now and then too. I just make sure there isnt a boat across from me when I cast, unless theyve been anchoring over my bait all day :bad_boys_20:
Sometimes when someone is watching and I get a 200 yard longbomb I just set the rod down like its still attached to the weight and say loud, damn that was an awesome cast! then tie another one on when they arent looking :bad_boys_20: