PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Peurto Morelos Mexico

Walleye101
10-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations on guides in Peurto Morelos. We are leaving Nov 20. Staying at the Hotel El Cid beach resort and marina. I fished there last year while staying at Dreams but it was pretty amateur and the gear was awful.

Moefoe
10-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Bring your own gear rent a car and head south down the 109...the further you go the more isolated it gets the more fish you'll see and catch! Bonefish mostly if that's what your into and lots of them, schools of 100+ fish at times in 18" of water, cool to see.

Okotokian
10-29-2013, 02:11 PM
I stayed in Area this last Easter and fished with Pesca Maya down the road at Ascencion Bay. Flats fishing with a fly rod. I got a boat to myself with two guides. Got bonefish, jack, ladyfish. Saw crocks, lots of barracuda. Lots of fun. $500 for the day, they pick you up at your hotel and provide breakfast and lunch. It's a long hard drive from Morelos though. Plan on 3 ours each way, much of it bumpy.

They also do flats fishing just the other side of Cancun, but you have to get to Cancun to be picked up. That trip is cheaper.

hacman
10-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Brother and I booked a boat at the pier in Puerto Morelos, $400 for the day. Wasn't great but have had the same luck for more $$ with other guides. A bit on the amateur side, had to catch our bait first then went to deeper water to fish. Hooked into something big and the fight was on. Took an hour to bring in, guide thought we had a big shark because it kept peeling off line. Turned out the drag was set wrong on the reel and my brother was never really gaining on the fish. I had to point this out to them and we had the fish in the boat 5 min later. It was a big amberjack but not that big to take an hour to bring in. Best part was the restaurant at the pier cooked it up 3 different ways and the bucket of beer, salsa & chips or "cheeps" as they call them that came with it.