PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon

Cowtown guy
10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
So I have been seeing the sturgeon threads. I have never fished for them. What are some of the more common tactics for them. I know that still fishing is the way to go, but just wondering about where to find them. Deep and slow? Current breaks? Is depth the key? Time of year? I have heard worms are the bait to use but are we talking a worm ball or a single worm?

Just hoping to get some answers to the basics to try and help me narrow it down. I can find my own water if I know what to look for. Hoping to try down south next year.

I'm hoping I'm not asking too much. Any info would be great.

Thanks

WayneChristie
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
runoff is the best since they are on the move, all the places you suggested will work. they head upstream to spawn when the water rises and back down to deeper winter holes as it gets colder. on hot summer days they hang around deeper holes where the water is cooler, but will feed in shallower water at night. hang a worm or minnow within a foot of the bottom on a larger hook I prefer 4/0 or 5/0 Gammakatsus to keep some of the bait stealers off and use a sliding sinker, or a sinker on the end of the line tied onto a swivel with a short length of lighter line so it can be broken off easy if you get snagged. Match your weight size to the current flow. use heavy gear as they are strong like a bull and can get quite large. as for the worms, I use at most half a dew worm, slide it on your hook like a sock. the more worm on your hook the harder you have to set the hook to get it into their very tough mouth. Lower Bow, Lower Oldman and the whole SSR have sturgeon during runoff, later in the season most are out of the first two rivers and further downstream. Dont leave your rod unattended, a bigger fish will swim away with it , I wouldnt suggest anything lighter than 40 or 50 pound braid, people do catch them on light line but it isnt good for the fish, neither is littering the bottom of the river with broken off pickeral rigs. they really can be easy to catch, just make sure you have the gear to handle them. Oh, and I bet you cant quit with just one :bad_boys_20:

dodger
10-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Good advice from Wayne. I have to agree about the equipment and line weight. I showed up for a days fishing with Wayne and brought my Pike gear. I have caught + 25/lb Pike up North with this gear. I set the hook on my first Sturgeon and the gear was instantly gone.

These fish are a whole new ball game !! Next trip with Wayne I brought heavier gear as like he recommends. I hook into a 46" Sturgeon and I figured he was going to burn out the eyelets on my rod as he pealed off line with my drag almost on full strength.

It's an adrenaline rush :sHa_shakeshout:

Dodger.

WayneChristie
10-30-2013, 06:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCel-aXGHk :bad_boys_20:

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Good advice from Wayne. I have to agree about the equipment and line weight. I showed up for a days fishing with Wayne and brought my Pike gear. I have caught + 25/lb Pike up North with this gear. I set the hook on my first Sturgeon and the gear was instantly gone.

These fish are a whole new ball game !! Next trip with Wayne I brought heavier gear as like he recommends. I hook into a 46" Sturgeon and I figured he was going to burn out the eyelets on my rod as he pealed off line with my drag almost on full strength.

It's an adrenaline rush :sHa_shakeshout:

Dodger.

I totally agree man, ive caught some big pike, hell, ive caught some nice salmon and halibut that don't pull like a sturgeon , Its a whole different type of power these fish have .

I tell my friends all the time ( whom which have never caught one ) and they say there gear is great for it , or this and that , or they show up with little gear loaded with 50 lb braid, its not the same, you need backbone with these fish lol

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 06:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCel-aXGHk :bad_boys_20:

Lol ouch, its like loosing your first love lol

AppleJax
10-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Not really anything to do with this thread...but. Pound for pound toughest fish are smallmouth bass! Lol lol lol

bwackwabbit
10-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Not really anything to do with this thread...but. Pound for pound toughest fish are smallmouth bass! Lol lol lol

Until you've fished Peacock Bass!...lol.

But back to the thread, great advice from Wayne! Only source better on catchin' them is the Sturgeon itself!

dodger
10-31-2013, 04:59 AM
Lol ouch, its like loosing your first love lol

Now look what you have done ! I'm all misty eyed :cry:

And my first love wasn't bad either.

Dodger.

antlercarver
10-31-2013, 02:05 PM
If you get a chance take your camper to a campground called Fraser Cove, it is across the river from Lilloette BC. We caught them up to 8ft 2in. right from shore on both sides of the river, there is a foot bridge across the river. Need the right gear.

WayneChristie
10-31-2013, 05:35 PM
If you get a chance take your camper to a campground called Fraser Cove, it is across the river from Lilloette BC. We caught them up to 8ft 2in. right from shore on both sides of the river, there is a foot bridge across the river. Need the right gear.

is there anywhere to get them to shore there ? may have to make a trip next summer, might be the only way I will beat my 6 footer!

Cowtown guy
10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Thank you very much for the advice folks. It's been a bucket list thing for me for a while now. Next spring and summer I really want to get it done.
Much appreciated.
Daryl

THERICARDO
10-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Until you've fished Peacock Bass!...lol.

But back to the thread, great advice from Wayne! Only source better on catchin' them is the Sturgeon itself!

Agreed, have never and dont think I wil ever catch a fish that fights like a Peacock Bass...

Good luck in your sturgeon travels, gear is key.... Canadian Badass use to use this little gypsy fishing rod for most of the year and once he got his new rod I think it made it a little easier for him and for sure the fish...