PDA

View Full Version : Which hand augers do you use

HuyFishin
10-30-2013, 01:05 PM
i'm looking for a good 8 inch hand auger, done research and all I hear is Nils is the best blah blah blah, but I cant find anything local. Whats the next best brands to stick to when looking for a hand auger locally?
Fin bor
swede bore
Nordic
eskimo?

Hunter Trav
10-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Easiest to find will probably be a Swede Bore. They work well, replacement blades are easy to find as well as sharpen...

BeeGuy
10-30-2013, 03:03 PM
I prefer an inline handle over the offset handles.

I find I get less power with the offset and feels funky in my shoulders.

Fil_Can_Yakker
10-30-2013, 03:40 PM
I ordered my NILS auger last yesr from Ontario $20 S&H via Greyhound..

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 03:46 PM
i'm looking for a good 8 inch hand auger, done research and all I hear is Nils is the best blah blah blah, but I cant find anything local. Whats the next best brands to stick to when looking for a hand auger locally?
Fin bor
swede bore
Nordic
eskimo?

I have always been fond of Eskimo, Except the replacement Blades were more then the Whole auger new, So tha was a downer, And at that point I bought the Eskimo Z71 Shark ( most powerful Ice Auger on the Market ) Specifically made for Ice Fishing, !

Hope that helps

dodgeboy1979
10-30-2013, 04:13 PM
I have always been fond of Eskimo, Except the replacement Blades were more then the Whole auger new, So tha was a downer, And at that point I bought the Eskimo Z71 Shark ( most powerful Ice Auger on the Market ) Specifically made for Ice Fishing, !

Hope that helps

LOL you must be a sales man for Eskimo

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 04:17 PM
I was in sakes for many many years, now I manage lol lol !

Hunter Trav
10-30-2013, 04:45 PM
I Specifically made for Ice Fishing, !

As opposed to what???:sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
10-30-2013, 05:00 PM
none if I can help it :bad_boys_20:

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 05:01 PM
As opposed to what???:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Most augers are actually made for drilling earth , Especially the power heads,

Ice augers are much different from Augers

Ive seen most users actually have an Earth Auger poerhead and are retro fitting an ice blade tunnel onto them

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 05:01 PM
I was in sakes for many many years, now I manage lol lol !

Sales I meant

Kyle
10-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Most augers are actually made for drilling earth , Especially the power heads,

Ice augers are much different from Augers

Ive seen most users actually have an Earth Auger poerhead and are retro fitting an ice blade tunnel onto them

You are saying Eskimo makes augers for ice fishing, while Jiffy, Strikemasters, Husqvarna, etc are made for drilling earth? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 05:22 PM
You are saying Eskimo makes augers for ice fishing, while Jiffy, Strikemasters, Husqvarna, etc are made for drilling earth? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

nope, they also make Ice Augers, But compared to industrial Augers,

But out of all those you mentioned, This one is the most powerful

pikergolf
10-30-2013, 05:27 PM
There was a nils given away on this board not to long ago. I have used and recently purchased a nils, was happy with the one I had, which is why I searched and found another nils.

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Wow, You mention to a guy to go with z71 because its the most powerful ice auger, and all of a sudden I have to go on and explain to people the difference between Ice and earth Augers, Lol ,

Like for instance

http://www.lowes.com/pd_379685-38323-Y43_4294747217__?productId=3580182&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

This auger can drill Ice, But NOT MADE FOR ICE, That's why I said Most powerful ICE AUGER ( Specifically made for Ice Use and extreme conditions ) <------ Not to hard to figure out !

This auger may drill ice, but is not made for the cold, or the extreme use

Some drill Clay , Dirt , Gravel, ECT .....

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 05:30 PM

you get it yet ?

DiabeticKripple
10-30-2013, 05:58 PM
a 6" hole is 10x easier to drill than an 8" hole. if you are not going after big fish i would suggest a 6"

i can drill about 3 6" holes at once and then im too tired (24" thick ice) but i get 3/4 done with a 8"

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 06:01 PM
a 6" hole is 10x easier to drill than an 8" hole. if you are not going after big fish i would suggest a 6"

i can drill about 3 6" holes at once and then im too tired (24" thick ice) but i get 3/4 done with a 8"

I know, Ive sen guys with those 6" Finbores, And they motor thru fast !!!!!!!!!!!

Its the way to go for sure if after trout or smaller fish !

Randyandkim
10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
We have an 8 inch swede bore, works good when sharp. But after getting a little more serious about ice fishing last winter im buying a power auger, I'll certainly keep the manual as backup, the more holes u hand crank the less crazy the price of a power auger seems.

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 06:36 PM
We have an 8 inch swede bore, works good when sharp. But after getting a little more serious about ice fishing last winter im buying a power auger, I'll certainly keep the manual as backup, the more holes u hand crank the less crazy the price of a power auger seems.

I keep hearing great things about that ION electric, at first I was very un sure about it, but its getting great reviews !

bwackwabbit
10-30-2013, 07:20 PM
I keep hearing great things about that ION electric, at first I was very un sure about it, but its getting great reviews !

As an Ion owner, I can tell you for a very little difference in weight I'd pick it over a hand auger any time. It is certainly not in the realm of hand auger pricing but is so light/powerful and clean to use it's hard to beat.

On at least 10 occasions last season I drilled 20 or more holes in a day hole hopping. It drilled them all and wanted more.

BeeGuy
10-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I have a swede-bore with the inline handle.

used 2 full seasons. many hundreds of holes drilled. sharpened the blades myself once.

Only downside imo is that when the ice is real thick, like 4' thick, it is not long enough.

There is a design flaw, in that the handle piece is made of softer metal than the bore piece, which causes the pin holding the handle piece to wear through the handle piece. Not a real problem yet, but one day she will give out.

Definitely have gotten my monies worth.

This ain't no run and gun auger, but I have drilled a few dozen holes over the course of a day on numerous occasions.

Hunter Trav
10-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Wow, You mention to a guy to go with z71 because its the most powerful ice auger, and all of a sudden I have to go on and explain to people the difference between Ice and earth Augers, Lol ,

Simmer down now, just a friendly ribbing is all...:lol:

Hunter Trav
10-30-2013, 08:03 PM
As an Ion owner, I can tell you for a very little difference in weight I'd pick it over a hand auger any time. It is certainly not in the realm of hand auger pricing but is so light/powerful and clean to use it's hard to beat.

On at least 10 occasions last season I drilled 20 or more holes in a day hole hopping. It drilled them all and wanted more.

I'm going to have to get some new batteries for my gator and meet up with you to put the 2 of them head to head and see what they can do...:cool:

bwackwabbit
10-30-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm going to have to get some new batteries for my gator and meet up with you to put the 2 of them head to head and see what they can do...:cool:

I'll be easy to find, just look for all the holes...lol.

But seriously I really want to put it through its paces this year so that would be fun.

Kyle
10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
you get it yet ?

You said that the Eskimo was the specifically made for icefishing lol...as if the rest were not. Your words, not mine. Anytime you wanna put that Eskimo up against my Jiffy stealth I'll put money on my Jiffy. Eskimo does make good tents though...

Sorry to op for hijacking thread

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 09:26 PM
You said that the Eskimo was the specifically made for icefishing lol...as if the rest were not. Your words, not mine. Anytime you wanna put that Eskimo up against my Jiffy stealth I'll put money on my Jiffy. Eskimo does make good tents though...

Sorry to op for hijacking thread

no need to

my ten inch out does any 8 " even lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNCmSKRTSw

. especially jiffys, IMO jiffys are the worst out there , especially the newer models

AppleJax
10-30-2013, 09:37 PM

Gators are sick! That thing would give the Z71 a run for its money... And you can adapt to several different auger attachments. I was going to buy one but they were out of stock and the guy on the phone told me to call back in a year haha. What model do you have Trav?

fish gunner
10-30-2013, 09:39 PM
no need to

. especially jiffys, IMO jiffys are the worst out there , especially the newer models

If you remove the plastic parts on your "most powerful " auger how many hp does it have my old jiffy has 3hp with all the breakables discarded. Any time its -30 im more than happy to show any one why old jiffies or esekez are the only choice :)

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 09:46 PM
If you remove the plastic parts on your "most powerful " auger how many hp does it have my old jiffy has 3hp with all the breakables discarded. Any time its -30 im more than happy to show any one why old jiffies or esekez are the only choice :)

3.7 . I was out last year every sunday cold or not, -40 or -20 and she started everytime , But it was also brand new . So I will find out what she is made of this year

huntsfurfish
10-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Z71 has to go a long way and time to drill as many holes as Jiffys 30 have.:)

AppleJax
10-30-2013, 09:59 PM

My "plastic" husqvarna started no problem in -48 last winter on Cold Lake. CopperCarbides old "steel" Jiffy didn't... Just saying..... I also have a swedebore 8" still running on the same tank of gas from 10 years ago!

Kyle
10-30-2013, 10:00 PM
no need to

This video proves nothing...jiffy could have dull blades and eskimo has brand new blades. Also looks like a 2hp vs 3hp?

AppleJax
10-30-2013, 10:05 PM
I love auger threads:sHa_shakeshout: auger or argue?

fish gunner
10-30-2013, 10:23 PM
My "plastic" husqvarna started no problem in -48 last winter on Cold Lake. CopperCarbides old "steel" Jiffy didn't... Just saying..... I also have a swedebore 8" still running on the same tank of gas from 10 years ago!

Sorry mr CuC2 does not maintain his jiffy at the optimal level . As I stated how much hp does those new fangles got with the plastic removed . Lol this has me remembring tomorrow is the halloed auger smoke making day hallelujah.

AppleJax
10-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Sorry mr CuC2 does not maintain his jiffy at the optimal level . As I stated how much hp does those new fangles got with the plastic removed . Lol this has me remembring tomorrow is the halloed auger smoke making day hallelujah.

Its actually in mint condition lol. The plastic on my auger is just covers, I can remove all the plastic and it still runs...

fish gunner
10-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Its actually in mint condition lol. The plastic on my auger is just covers, I can remove all the plastic and it still runs...

Just like a jiffy :scared0018:

AppleJax
10-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Just like a jiffy :scared0018:

Well continue this augerment next auger thread!:fighting0074:

CanadianBadass
10-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Yup .... lol

Geezle
10-31-2013, 08:29 AM
So guys...how about those *manual* augers the OP asked about?

Who gives a rip how fast your Eskimo/Jiffy/Husq/Stihl/Strikemaster/hand grenade goes? And how did this turn into a peeing contest in the first place?

Sheesh...:rolleye2:

Going back to the original topic, I have two hand augers, an old folding 6" Swede-Bore that I like for when I walking out on to early ice for trout, and an 8" Fin-Bore (the one with the curved blades) for the bigger stuff/as a backup to my gasser.

I personally like the augers with the offset handles so you can really get both arms into it, however some folks seem to really not like this style as well...comes down to personal preference I guess.

RayL42
10-31-2013, 09:05 AM
I have a 6 inch Swede bore and a 6 inch Eskimo both inline handles. When blades are sharp they both work great, however the upper handle on the Eskimo broke so I prefer the Swede bore.

I should also note I inherited the Swede bore and have no idea how old it is 20+ years old and the Eskimo is 8 years old..

CanadianBadass
10-31-2013, 09:16 AM
So guys...how about those *manual* augers the OP asked about?

Who gives a rip how fast your Eskimo/Jiffy/Husq/Stihl/Strikemaster/hand grenade goes? And how did this turn into a peeing contest in the first place?

Sheesh...:rolleye2:

Going back to the original topic, I have two hand augers, an old folding 6" Swede-Bore that I like for when I walking out on to early ice for trout, and an 8" Fin-Bore (the one with the curved blades) for the bigger stuff/as a backup to my gasser.

I personally like the augers with the offset handles so you can really get both arms into it, however some folks seem to really not like this style as well...comes down to personal preference I guess.

I recommended the Eskimo hand 8" and then an option for a powered one aswell,

Geezle
10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
I recommended the Eskimo hand 8" and then an option for a powered one aswell,

And then made almost a dozen other posts in the thread...

dodgeboy1979
10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
i prefer primer wire ........but when that's not available a 8" swede bore will get the job done with sharp blades, the bigest thing to remember is to try and not drill through dirty ice as the blades will dull fast.

CanadianBadass
10-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Another thing is, Never try to re drill a hole that has re froze over, that will break an auger quickly

dodgeboy1979
10-31-2013, 09:32 AM
^^ Jiffys are great for redrilling holes you should try one lol

CanadianBadass
10-31-2013, 09:36 AM
^^ Jiffys are great for redrilling holes you should try one lol

Powered or Hand ?

Cuz my Z71 re drills holes no problem as well, But for a hand auger its usually the number 1 cause of broken blades !

EDIT : DERRRRRRR.......... jiffy must be a powered lol , I wasn't thinking

dodgeboy1979
10-31-2013, 09:40 AM
lol i just had to get ya going.

CanadianBadass
10-31-2013, 09:40 AM
lol i just had to get ya going.

lol dick.... lol lol lol

ESOXangler
10-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Anybody ever tired a lazar beam? MOST POWERFUL! Just melts the ice!!! Batteries are over 700#s but the plus side is once you're done you can shoot birds with it! But a warning is never shine it at a plane!

Swedes always worked for me!

dwedmon
10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
I've found the brand doesn't make as much difference as the hole diameter.

Any brand of 6" I've used is manageable. An offset handle makes it a bit easier but even an old school 6" Mora will work and not feel that much different than a higher end one.

Once you go up to the 8" you're in for some hard drilling no matter what brand you use.

cube
10-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Fin bor
swede bore
Nordic
eskimo?

Personally I would get one where I could easily get an adapter for a battery operated electric drill.

Eg. http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=27819

The one above says it “Fits existing models of Fin-Bore III®, Swede-Bore®, Nordic™, Terminator™, Sub-Zero™ and Mora Ice brand ice drills”

That way when the ice gets a bit thicker you can still use the 8” drill.

Good luck to you.

Hunter Trav
10-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Gators are sick! That thing would give the Z71 a run for its money... And you can adapt to several different auger attachments. I was going to buy one but they were out of stock and the guy on the phone told me to call back in a year haha. What model do you have Trav?

I have the 8" attacker I believe. Love the auger, but was left wishing I would've waited for the 10" model. With good batteries I don't think that Z71 would stand a chance, I've had it up against a few different augers and nothing came close. Some augers I was almost doing 2:1 even with them sitting there idling ready to go. If your still interested in buying a gator, I'm upgrading to a 10" gas this season, and will probably be putting the gator up for sale...:cool:

Hunter Trav
10-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I'll be easy to find, just look for all the holes...lol.

But seriously I really want to put it through its paces this year so that would be fun.

Then we shall meet at Gull (or Sylvan) and proceed to make swiss cheese of the lake till our augers will do no more...:D