PDA

View Full Version : Jigging Spoons

dopemop
10-31-2013, 12:27 AM
What are the differences between a jigging spoon and a casting spoon? or are they the same but retrieved and jigged? This will my by first solo year on the ice and I have never fished with spoons on ice before.

BeeGuy
10-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Imo, a good jigging spoon for ice fishing is thin and light and wide, so that it slowly flutters on the drop.

For casting spoons I like something in the 2/5-3/4oz range.

However, tons of people use casting and trolling spoons through the ice.

Len Thompson's
Cleos
Buzzbombs
Williams Wablers

They are all very different, yet are productive.

You can even use a spoon with some bait and dead stick it.

All depends on the species/location/technique etc.

Doesnt really simplify it for you but.....there are endless variations.

You can buy spoons designed specifically for icefishing. Williams has some nice ones. I'd consider a Wetaskiwin Special a spoon as well.

Check out some videos on youtube and you will see how people jig for fish through the ice with spoons. Lure choice, rigging, technique/presentation.

What kind of fish you are targeting is the primary consideration.

dopemop
10-31-2013, 12:48 AM
beecent answer

BeeGuy
10-31-2013, 01:06 AM
If you do a search of the forum you can find lots of threads discussing ice fishing techniques.

Also check out iceshanty.com or whatever it is.

I think a lot of guys just use a 5 of diamonds with a minnow on it for things like pike and walleye and perch.

dopemop
10-31-2013, 01:16 AM
Beenderdundat. =) are you on Iceshanty?

BeeGuy
10-31-2013, 01:20 AM
for reference, but no username

you?

pickrel pat
10-31-2013, 01:28 AM
Jigging spoons are long and narrow and rather heavey. Or so i thought. Kind of like a long thin diamond shape. Could be wrong....

dopemop
10-31-2013, 01:51 AM
I have some that are long and narrow and thought they were jigging spoons. I'll try em all I guess, Winter is long and I have too many shapes, sizes and colours. Im looking forward to the clacking raps. Caught many pike and walleye this summer on them and for the price I hope the catch under ice.