PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Poachers Fined $22,000

LSLAKER
11-02-2013, 05:53 PM
As reported by a Slave Lake Newspaper November 2013

Keith Daly and Richard Daly, both of Edmonton were fined a collective total of $22,000 and 14 years of fishing suspensions for poaching walleye from Lesser Slave Lake in the early spring of this year.

Red Earth Creek Provincial Court heard that on June 1, Provincial Fish and Wildlife Officers observed the two men catching and keeping walleye which are regulated so that an angler can only have one in their possession.

When officers stopped the men’s boat, they were told there were only two walleye caught, but officers found six more in a hidden compartment.

Permission to search the Daly’s cabin led to recovered fillets from other walleye.

Using a different boat, the same men were back on Lesser Slave Lake the next day and again caught two walleye which they took to their cabin, but then returned to the lake to fish.

The men caught two more walleye and continued to fish, comparing their catches and switching the fish.

Officers arrested them again and seized the second boat and it’s contents.

Both men pleaded guilty to exceeding the catch and possession limits by a total of 22 walleye.

Judge David Shynkar told the men they had engaged in “outrageous behavior” and their actions were “a lack of respect for the rights of other Albertans”.

“This is a resource that belongs to all Albertans” the judge declared.

Norman
11-02-2013, 05:56 PM
That's great to hear, wonder how long it will take for them to be back on the water, sounds like they didn't learn anything the first time they were caught

Pudelpointer
11-02-2013, 06:05 PM
It appears that judges in AB are starting to get it, and give it appropriately.

LSLAKER
11-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Most likely their first court appearnace would have been in either High Prairie or Slave Lake Provincial Court for the two idiots.

It is my understanding that if an agent for them or themselves enters a guilty plea then the court case could be transfered to another court location for trial.

I believe that Red Earth Creek was chosen for the court case because it is a somewhat remote location. These individuals would then have a better chance to avoid the bad publicity they deserved.

It was good reporting by the local Slave Lake newspaper to have someone in court that day to follow up and do the reporting.

I think that the named individuals involved in such stupidity deserve all the exposure the public can take.

BeeGuy
11-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Yowza!

hal53
11-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Yowza!
????? too much you think????

Shmag
11-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Good job to the judge and F & W....finally fines and suspensions seem fitting. I really like the combined 14 yrs suspensions. Unlike the similar story at vandersteene where they got similar fines but only 2 yrs suspension.

Shmag
11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
????? too much you think????

and people think walleye is too expensive at Costco...lol

Sloughsharkjigger
11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Good work by F&W..... now if the courts can only treat theft of personal property to the same extent we would be going somewhere!

DiabeticKripple
11-02-2013, 08:33 PM
1000 bucks a fish. nice catch

tight line
11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Good on them! Dirtbags!!!

italk2u
11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Too bad the Edmonton media didn't get hold of the story for all their friends and family to see.

dopemop
11-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Is the fishing ban in all of Canada or just Alberta?

Kokanee9
11-03-2013, 03:04 AM
Is the fishing ban in all of Canada or just Alberta?

Alberta.

ericlin0122
11-03-2013, 05:31 AM
nice

martinnordegg
11-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Sure is encouraging and we may now see more fines and suspensions like this but it sure does vary around the Province for penalties. It would be nice to see some standardization on the high side Province wide!

I'd have given them a grand a fish EACH!!

canadiantdi
11-03-2013, 07:25 AM
That's a lot of cash and lot's of time!! wow!

Hopefully this will stop other people from making the same mistake!

Elk Chaser
11-03-2013, 07:53 AM
The province should have seized both boats and all the gear as well.

Winch101
11-03-2013, 08:05 AM
No search for drugs .....or alcohol testing .....that's unbelievable .

Seize everything I say ?....public flogging

rokman
11-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Too bad the Edmonton media didn't get hold of the story for all their friends and family to see.

I can't find a link to this story anywhere. Found one similar from May 31st where 5 guys were fined $29,000 from Vandersteene Lake.

Can anyone source this story?
Cheers

And good job F&W on catching these repeat-offenders. ...get caught the first day and go back out in a 2nd boat and do it over again... nice try guys. ya failed.

pikeslayer22
11-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Wow hefty fines for sure! If they started searching more freezers in cabins and homes I am sure there would be a hell a lot more fines given out!

Sakoman
11-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Nice to see some decent fines handed out. Wished they put this kind of stuff in major newspapers so it gets seen by more people....

Fishfinder
11-03-2013, 06:13 PM

X2!!! Ouch.
Buggers!

Rascal4now
11-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Good on them! Dirtbags!!!
x2!

silverdoctor
11-03-2013, 10:22 PM
That's more like it, few more cases like that should wake people up.

wildman
11-04-2013, 08:38 AM
straight up douche bag repeat offenders!!!!!!!!!
i love the suspensions part!!!!!!
hopefully any edmontonians who know then give em a big kick to the junk for us!!!!!!

Geezle
11-04-2013, 08:54 AM

No mistake involved here...they broke the law, got busted, and then went back at it the very next day.

How dumb can these guys be? :1041:

CanadianBadass
11-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Its a case where they should have been fined even harder , Make a point of them , Show others its not ok .....

I've seen guys out on the river keep a walleye and its always the same excuse..... " I never read the regs "

You need to write a test to drive, and you should have to at minimum read the regs while applying for a Fishing license , Or something like a boaters license test !

I would say 30% if not more people on the lakes and rivers don't know the regs ! and are just out fishing and really don't care about the regs !

Its pretty sad !

coppercarbide
11-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Fantastic to see! I wish the Journal or the Sun would have picked this story up.

Can't believe they had so little respect (and intelligence) that they got right back at it after getting charged the first time.

I don't think a boat seizure would be unreasonable in this case. Or even jail time.

wildman
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
totally agree with ya CBA;
"Its a case where they should have been fined even harder , Make a point of them , Show others its not ok ..... "

maybe tack on a swift kick in the junk per walleye too...
ps. in the case of watching people keep illegal fish as per your quote;

I've seen guys out on the river keep a walleye and its always the same excuse..... " I never read the regs "

get a plate ## or name and call the fish cops!!!!
these guys are also hardcore douche bags!!!
i have called people like this in in the past and will again. AND often you will get a cash reward for doing so...
REPORT A POACHER!!!!!!!!!!

CanadianBadass
11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
totally agree with ya CBA;
"Its a case where they should have been fined even harder , Make a point of them , Show others its not ok ..... "

maybe tack on a swift kick in the junk per walleye too...
ps. in the case of watching people keep illegal fish as per your quote;

get a plate ## or name and call the fish cops!!!!
these guys are also hardcore douche bags!!!
i have called people like this in in the past and will again. AND often you will get a cash reward for doing so...
REPORT A POACHER!!!!!!!!!!

I always report them lol, watch them get busted lol

Gabriel S.
11-04-2013, 04:19 PM
As reported by a Slave Lake Newspaper November 2013

Keith Daly and Richard Daly, both of Edmonton were fined a collective total of $22,000 and 14 years of fishing suspensions for poaching walleye from Lesser Slave Lake in the early spring of this year.

I would have made it $100k and life suspension. If you're brain dead i guess you deserve it.

Scott h
11-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Wow that's a big fine and suspension. Nice to see judges taking offenses seriously, I'm not sure they would have gotten the same here in BC.
Does anyone know were the fines go to? It would sure be nice to see them
used to purchase properties for the ACA to help offset some of the damages done by poaching.