PDA

View Full Version : Different kind of fishermen

Red Bullets
11-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Geez I am glad we don't have fish eating snakes in alberta. Or do we?
Don't worry, Just thought the pic was cool.

Has anyone ever encountered fish eating snakes before?

bisonhunter
11-03-2013, 06:38 PM
When I was 14 living in Medicine Hat I was standing ankle deep in the SSR practicing with my brand new $20 fly rod I'd picked up from Kmart and saw a snake eat a fish.
I just happened to look down when a garter snake slithered by on the surface and about 3 feet in front of me, dove and took a strike position. It didn't take 10 seconds for a school of chubb to swim by and he nailed one just like you see in those Planet Earth films.
He then proceeded to shore just like the photo you posted, and ate the thing right there.
I'll never forget that scene. Cool stuff like that has kept me outdoors for my entire life.

Junglefisher
11-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I've found wild Macleays snakes and Arafura file snakes both of which are fish eaters. It used to be common to see half a dozen Macleays in a kayak fishing trip on freshwater creek in Cairns.
I've caught several sea snakes on whole fish bait also in Cairns. They usually regurge the bait when you land them, the hook never seem to set fortunately.
I also used to keep Arafura file snakes and it was great to watch them catching small barramundi or minnows.

fish gunner
11-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Had a crazy encounter with a water moccasin in Georgia . The camo on the snake was such that I could not wrap my head around 1/2 a sun fish floping on shore. After a few moments the snake materialized holding a 6-8" sunfish he got it down and then slunk into the stump he was on . Still gives me the hebbie jeebies wtf half a fish ?? Doh its a huge moccasin .

OneGirlWolfPack
11-04-2013, 10:47 PM
That is such a cool picture! I'd love to see something like that.