PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing line - old faithful wins

Kokaneeranger
11-08-2013, 06:18 AM
I tried suffix brand line for the first time this past summer. I spooled up my walleye/pike rods with some 832 and think its the best thing since sliced bread. Not so much with their ice line, I am a little disappointed. I went into WSS and tested a bunch of 6lb flouros and monos for breaking strength and was surprised with my old stand by - berkley micro ice. It was tougher than other do parables and way cheaper. Compared it to suffix, p-line, vanish, berkley extra tough, ultra, .......... I was looking for a low vis 6lb "tough"line and the micro ice was tougher by far. Before you ask, I opened each pkg and cut a couple feet from each spool, then wrapped the lines around my fingers and pulled, the micro ice with cut into your fingers pretty good before breaking. Lol. Save your fish and your money- micro ice

BeeGuy
11-08-2013, 06:34 AM
I just use the braid I had on all summer. Hmmm and last winter, and the summer before that.

Good stuff that braid. The 10lb would cut my fingers off before I could break it with my hands.

Toss on an appropriate mono leader and land anything AB freshwater can throw at ya.

What do you normally target?

Geezle
11-08-2013, 08:16 AM
I do the same as Bee does...I just swap reels from my open water rods to the ice rods and carry on.

If I'm going for something finnicky like trout or perch I may tie on a few feet of fluoro for a leader but that's about it.

10lb PowerPro has something like a 2lb test diameter...I don't see the need to go any smaller than that, and if I get surprised on my light gear by a big ol' pike or something I've got a little more of a fighting chance :)

cube
11-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I went into WSS and tested a bunch of 6lb flouros and monos for breaking strength and was surprised with my old stand by - berkley micro ice. It was tougher than other do parables and way cheaper. Compared it to suffix, p-line, vanish, berkley extra tough, ultra, .......... I was looking for a low vis 6lb "tough"line and the micro ice was tougher by far. Before you ask, I opened each pkg and cut a couple feet from each spool, then wrapped the lines around my fingers and pulled, the micro ice with cut into your fingers pretty good before breaking. Lol. Save your fish and your money- micro ice

It's also the choice of ice fishing legend Dave Genz. He uses it because it is specially formulated for low stretch, which is esp. important on smaller #test mono’s and flouro’s.

pikergolf
11-08-2013, 09:31 AM
I have a knife what will take your fingers off wayyy before a fishing line if that's what your looking for.

Kokaneeranger
11-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I usually concentrate one trout during the winter but do manage to get out for some walleye, pike , white and perch. I was looking for a very low vis but tough line to fish trout, they are very easily spooked and every bit helps . I hear ya Bee about swapping summer reels to winter rods for everything else, works great and saves a few bucks.

BeeGuy
11-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Ya, I just have various spoils of 2-100lb mono which I use as leader material depending on the application.

Flieguy
11-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Is there an advantage to ice line over regular mono? I usually just use 6lb mono on my light rods, and 10lb braid on my medium ones that I fish for burbot with.

cube
11-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Is there an advantage to ice line over regular mono? I usually just use 6lb mono on my light rods, and 10lb braid on my medium ones that I fish for burbot with.

The micro ice is specially formulated for low stretch, which is esp. important on smaller #test mono.

Have a great ice season

H380
11-09-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm not much of ice fisherman , but isn't the micro ice a dark blue color ? Maybe I;m thinking of a different line . We tried a dark blue colored one once and got out fished real bad by some guys using clear mono . Same lures , bait and presentation . Had better luck when we dropped the blue stuff .

Kokaneeranger
11-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Here you go H380. This stuff is practically invisible under water. I use the red to see it in the ice and when tying. I've never seen the blue

Fishy
11-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I just use the braid I had on all summer. Hmmm and last winter, and the summer before that.

Good stuff that braid. The 10lb would cut my fingers off before I could break it with my hands.

Toss on an appropriate mono leader and land anything AB freshwater can throw at ya.

What do you normally target?

X2

I toss on braid and use a mono leader. Depending on what I fish for, a lead may not be necessary ie. tip-ups for pike