PDA

View Full Version : Kids fishing event - Edmonton Area.

silverdoctor
11-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Over wings tonite, a few of us started kicking around the idea of taking an organization of kids out on the ice for a day for an Edmonton event. TBA but we want to put out some feelers for a small group of volunteers that are willing to work toward a goal of putting smiles on some kids faces. How many volunteers we are not sure, but we'll be shooting for 30 to 40 kids on the first round.

Not sure yet of the organization this will support, how it will be planned, or what lake it will be on. Not looking for anything extravagant, just taking a group of kids out for a day.

Rumtan is very experienced with organizing events like this, 10 years into it and is willing to HELP take the reigns to get the ball rolling. This can't be a one man show, and it has to come from the heart, people can't be in it for the any other reasons.

Geezle
11-14-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm in :)

waterninja
11-14-2013, 09:39 AM
may i suggest you contact the edm. boys and girls club? i've seen them bring groups of kids down to herm. pond in the past. felt a little sorry for them as it didn't look like they were getting proper instructions (nothing against the organizers).
nice thing is that they have those big vans for transporting the kids to wherever and already have a pool of needy kids to draw from.
just my 2 cents.

Rumtan
11-14-2013, 11:13 AM
We are open to all / any suggestions when it comes to charities. My preference would be the forgotton inner city kids that really benefit from guidance from our AO members. This will be ice fishing so we should not aim at kids that maybe too ill to be out on the ice for a day. Nothing is set in stone, help us plan a great event.

Rumtan
11-14-2013, 11:59 AM
I spoke to the Make-A-Wish today and they are willing to help us get set up but think it wouldnt be an event their kids could attend due to health restrictions. They will make a few calls and see which charity would benefit the most from this. I expect to hear back from them after I return from my trip.

pikeslayer22
11-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Will be watching the thread i would like to help out...depending on the date...I could come and help out with whatever, have a couple augers and lots of gear...if date does not work out would make a donation

Rumtan
11-14-2013, 04:45 PM
We think its best to have it on a Saturday in March. Pikeslayer22 your generosity is greatly appreciated, we will need all the help we can get to start this event off on the right foot.

HunterDave
11-14-2013, 05:06 PM
I haven't seen him on AO for awhile but I'm betting that Chubdarter could give you a lot of good input for your planning. He organized two of these events down by Calgary the past two years.

Safety D
11-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Lets do it at Wab for big gators !!!!

AppleJax
11-14-2013, 05:14 PM
I would be in for this. I have plenty of gear to share. Probably even bring my own kids. Keep me in the loop Murray.

silverdoctor
11-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Just for clarification, the event we are looking at doing is completely separate from anything going on in Calgary - this is completely standalone. One has nothing to do with the other.

Most likely, we are going to be fishing for trout.

1bluZebec
11-14-2013, 06:45 PM
I would love to help and my son is 7 and loves to go icefishing for the last 4 years he has come with me almost every weekend winter and summer. Nothing better than seeing a kid overwhelmed with supersize and happiness. This was an excellent idea to make a positive difference in some kids life's. just let me know when and where and we will be there :sHa_shakeshout:

diamond k
11-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I have a power auger and lots of gear. Might I suggest one of the little pot hole lakes over run with Perch. Lots to catch and no one cares if they keep them. Let me know closer to date and will help out

Esox
11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
So there is an event like this put on in calgary? I'd like to possibly help both places. Let me know what I can do, I know it's a nightmare of paperwork when kids are involved with all the permits and insurance and background checks, etc.

CanadianBadass
11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
I would be in for this as well ! For ice fishing i have over ten new tip ups , and a ton of gear, extra tents, heaters ect.... That i would have no problem lending out for the day !

I know my kid loves fishing , and loves being on the ice with me !

1bluZebec
11-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I got a gas auger, tent 6 or 7 rods with brand new line one week old dying to get wet,4 tip ups and LOTS of hooks of all kinds for any fish here around Edmonton. I have a feeling there is going to be an overwhelming amount of volunteers willing to help for a cause like this:) lot of good folks on here;-)

silverdoctor
11-14-2013, 09:00 PM
The offers and passion are very much appreciated but...

Please bear in mind that there will be insurances and legalities involved with the charities of choice. Your own children will most likely not be able to attend or join in. That won't be our choice, just legal restrictions placed upon us.

However, it would be great to get the group together for a separate day to get the volunteers kids out for a fun day!

Rumtan
11-15-2013, 06:55 AM
I (with my business partner) had run the Make-A-Wish kids event for 10 years. Due to health restrictions, I will only be helping organize this new event. We need a core bunch of AO`ers who will assist running and help planning it. I will do all I can but since my stroke (which happened at the Make-A-Wish ice fishing event coincidentaly) I will help get this event off to a great start.
If you are interested in helping in any way please come out to Wednesday wing night and sign up. There is lots to do and all/any help is welcome. Sliverdoctor and myself look forward to your cooperation on this event to make it the best kids event ever.
. My wife tells me that there is no greater need than to steer kids in the right direction, If your of the same mind set we would love to hear from you.

Its all about inner kids having an outter experience !

EZM
11-15-2013, 08:39 AM
I would be more than happy to help out in any capacity. You can add me to the "list".

I think it's a great idea to promote AO and our Membership .... good PR for a great cause.

The kids will have a blast ......

Rumtan
11-15-2013, 09:07 AM
if you pm silverdoctor your phone # and addy we can add you, but the preference would be to meet up and sign in.

binnzer32
11-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I am in. Where and when is wing night? Wed? Sp overtime? What time?

Rumtan
11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
I called the inner city school and talked to the principal....they have a meeting Monday to confirm and inform. They will provide insurance and transportation.......the rest is up to us ! They have approx. 160 students, but not sure how many can or want to attend. More great news to follow as it unfurls.

silverdoctor
11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
I called the inner city school and talked to the principal....they have a meeting Monday to confirm and inform. They will provide insurance and transportation.......the rest is up to us ! They have approx. 160 students, but not sure how many can or want to attend. More great news to follow as it unfurls.

Too cool, now it gets interesting!

1bluZebec
11-15-2013, 12:08 PM
I would love to come meet my fellow ao members for some wings but if i cant make it due to work i will at least give my number and address. Still might ne able to come just on call and in a shutdown all next week. Let us know when and where and ill try my best though.

slivers86
11-15-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm in to help out as a guide/volunteer providing it doesn't conflict with any other plans I have for the late winter/spring months. I'll be driving up from calgary for the event, so give me a heads up when you are ready to get the ball rolling!

Slivers

CanadianBadass
11-15-2013, 07:13 PM
I (with my business partner) had run the Make-A-Wish kids event for 10 years. Due to health restrictions, I will only be helping organize this new event. We need a core bunch of AO`ers who will assist running and help planning it. I will do all I can but since my stroke (which happened at the Make-A-Wish ice fishing event coincidentaly) I will help get this event off to a great start.
If you are interested in helping in any way please come out to Wednesday wing night and sign up. There is lots to do and all/any help is welcome. Sliverdoctor and myself look forward to your cooperation on this event to make it the best kids event ever.
. My wife tells me that there is no greater need than to steer kids in the right direction, If your of the same mind set we would love to hear from you.

Its all about inner kids having an outter experience !

I fished it many years ! Loved that derby !

silverdoctor
11-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm in to help out as a guide/volunteer providing it doesn't conflict with any other plans I have for the late winter/spring months. I'll be driving up from calgary for the event, so give me a heads up when you are ready to get the ball rolling!

Slivers

Mucho appreciato! Once we get names of the volunteers, then we'll pick a date that works for everyone. There should be a day in February or March that works for all hands.

silverdoctor
11-15-2013, 07:25 PM
For all hands that want to get involved, shoot me a pm.

ghostguy6
11-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I should be able to help out at the event. I don't know if Ill be of much use with the organizing part but I'll do what I can.

Rumtan
11-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Any pothole lake sugestions for perch or trout. Its just about kids having the best day we can provide, catching comes second.

CanadianBadass
11-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Any pothole lake sugestions for perch or trout. Its just about kids having the best day we can provide, catching comes second.

Cross, Cross lake ( Steel Lake ) is where I grew up as a kid fishing for perch, That lake is a guaranteed good time for children, Distance may be a problem, But Wab is also lots of fun,

silverdoctor
11-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I am in. Where and when is wing night? Wed? Sp overtime? What time?

Yes, Sherwood park overtime. 101 Granada Blvd

Wednesdays, people usually start showing up between 3:30 and 4:00. Walk in the front door and we're at the opposite end of the main bar. Come on out for a beer and wings.

silverdoctor
11-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Cross, Cross lake ( Steel Lake ) is where I grew up as a kid fishing for perch, That lake is a guaranteed good time for children, Distance may be a problem, But Wab is also lots of fun,

Any lake ideas are good, course it'll be depending on how far they are willing to travel.

FisherGrrrl
11-16-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm definitely in. How can I help

silverdoctor
11-16-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm definitely in. How can I help

Awesome. Not sure yet, still waiting on the group we're taking out, once that's done we can start planning.

Garry B
11-17-2013, 11:59 AM

It's not a lake but Vegreville Trout Pond could work. Has trout and is infested with perch. Kids are guaranteed to catch the perch and maybe a trout. Close enough to Edmonton. Totally good access to all parts of the pond since there is a road all around it.

Geezle
11-17-2013, 12:04 PM
It's not a lake but Vegreville Trout Pond could work. Has trout and is infested with perch. Kids are guaranteed to catch the perch and maybe a trout. Close enough to Edmonton. Totally good access to all parts of the pond since there is a road all around it.

The same lake crossed my mind as well...:thinking-006:

Rumtan
11-18-2013, 12:24 PM
I like the idea of Veg because the kids will catch tons and have a blast doing it.

silverdoctor
11-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I like the idea of Veg because the kids will catch tons and have a blast doing it.

Sounds like a good idea...

Now it begs the question, do we do catch and release or let them take some fish home? Barbed or barbless?

How many kids would know how to clean a perch - maybe some volunteers wouldn't mind cleaning some on the ice?

Just throwing it out there...

FisherGrrrl
11-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Sounds like a good idea...

Now it begs the question, do we do catch and release or let them take some fish home? Barbed or barbless?

How many kids would know how to clean a perch - maybe some volunteers wouldn't mind cleaning some on the ice?

Just throwing it out there...

Barbless and they can take them home. We can clean them for them before they go home.

silverdoctor
11-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Barbless and they can take them home. We can clean them for them before they go home.

Barbless IMO is the way to go as well, teach them properly, the law will be back on the books in the future anyhow.

Can't see SRD having issue with taking some perch out of a lake that's overrun, but it's something to check into.

If the kids are allowed to take some fish home, we'll have to get a cleaning station set up, won't be difficult.

FisherGrrrl
11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
We could make our own perch limit like 2 or 3 perch each.

Willowtrail
11-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Hey all. You know I'm in

You know my lake if choice would be veg as well. But.... There are the 2 aerators so we would have to tape them off and keep the kids in the fenced area.

Might as well clean out the lake of perch.

Hooks we should use are one a member here makes. Will you have enough made by then sir?

You guys got my number. Keep me informed

silverdoctor
11-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for joining in Willow, and good to know about the aerators.

Been contacted by a sponsor already, won't release information yet but thank you! Very much appreciated.

Been talking to a couple of clients of mine, they are more than willing to donate money or items for the event. Just have to let them know what is needed.

silverdoctor
11-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Already have a domain name and forum set up.

Getting some professional graphics done up for a website and possibly some business cards for people that will be directly involved with actively seeking sponsors or marketing.

Willowtrail
11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks for joining in Willow, and good to know about the aerators.

Been contacted by a sponsor already, won't release information yet but thank you! Very much appreciated.

Been talking to a couple of clients of mine, they are more than willing to donate money or items for the event. Just have to let them know what is needed.

Was it the sponsor I'm thinking? I gave him your number.

bushnell
11-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Let me know what I can do to help out.

Rumtan
11-19-2013, 12:26 PM
If worse comes to worse we can transport the kids if we get enough support from the forum. If you and your company would like to help sponsor this event please pm either silverdoctor or myself. It would be awesome if we could arrange a yellow bus. the school only has a ten seater van.

silverdoctor
11-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Sent out pm's to volunteers, if you didn't get one, please let me know.

CanadianBadass
11-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Sent out pm's to volunteers, if you didn't get one, please let me know.

I Just had a talk with my boss, He says our company could set up a Coffee/Hot Chocolate Bar, And all supplys supplied by our company,

We run a Flooring Store, We are associated with the "Childrens Miracle Wish Foundation " Golf tourney at Blackhawk golf course every year,

My Boss has been looking for a way to give back to the community lately and this would be a perfect example of how doing something small can go a long way for a lot of people.

I will send a PM with some more details to you , see what can be worked out ,

As well we would have people willing to run all of this, so the fishermen can be helping out kids !

silverdoctor
11-19-2013, 06:57 PM
I Just had a talk with my boss, He says our company could set up a Coffee/Hot Chocolate Bar, And all supplys supplied by our company,

We run a Flooring Store, We are associated with the "Childrens Miracle Wish Foundation " Golf tourney at Blackhawk golf course every year,

My Boss has been looking for a way to give back to the community lately and this would be a perfect example of how doing something small can go a long way for a lot of people.

I will send a PM with some more details to you , see what can be worked out ,

As well we would have people willing to run all of this, so the fishermen can be helping out kids !

That would be wonderful. Tell your boss thank you.

Rumtan
11-21-2013, 07:44 AM
This event is picking up steam, last night we had a sponsor say that he would pick up the transportation costs.

Esox
11-21-2013, 01:16 PM
This event is picking up steam, last night we had a sponsor say that he would pick up the transportation costs.

What about the insurance costs of transporting kids?

Rumtan
11-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Im sure that would be the bus lines worry. They have to have insurance for that.

Rumtan
11-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Anyone interested in helping out must have a "Child welfare check" done. This is a free check done at any child welfare office. It takes just 5 minutes and 2 pieces of I.D. Please try and get this done as soon as possible to be added on the list of volunteers.

thorne
12-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Definitely in...won't be able to be there personally but will be happy to provide materials and gear.

thorne
12-04-2013, 05:46 PM
As an FYI anyone participating in this event is encouraged to complete a Child Welfare Clearance. This is in line with these types of events and provides additional coverage under the organizations own insurance a. Provided is a link to area offices which provide this free and prompt service.

http://www.edmontonandareacfsa.gov.ab.ca/publish/localOffices.cfm

Rumtan
12-05-2013, 06:16 AM
We are in need of ice fishing rods......60 total, let us know if you have any you can spare please.

1bluZebec
12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I wonder if cable's or wholesale would donate them. Cheap .ht rods that they sold lastyear on boxing day for $7. They would be perfect and they could all keep them after too. The hooks that are being donated too. Kids would be soo happy. If not I have 7 I could bring.

Rumtan
12-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Make sure you paint a noticable mark/sign on your rod so you get it back after........60 rods can get messed up fast

Richmuiz
12-05-2013, 11:06 AM
When is this taking place? I have over ten rods but I will not be in town till 15th

Rumtan
12-05-2013, 12:02 PM
This event is planned for early March.

1bluZebec
12-05-2013, 12:19 PM
We going with veg trout pond? or is it still in the air? What was the reason for having it in March? weather? ice conditions or quality of fishing? Cant wait!:sHa_shakeshout:

Rumtan
12-05-2013, 04:36 PM
These are inner city kids and don't get a chance to be out in the elements fishing, so we had to consider weather conditions and clothing.