PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it but...

Geezle
11-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Why did the BBJ thread get locked down?

Seems ABB kinda hit the nail on the head, this really isn't any different than talking about any retailer/service provider that isn't a sponsor of the forum.

I think aside from one or two comments that were direct shots at BBJ the rest of the questions, particularly regarding appropriate licensing and insurance were absolutely legit...especially for anybody who may be considering using his services in the future.

I know the guy does have some health issues, so I won't venture any guesses as to what the deal is with his missed commitments.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

IBTL :lol:

Mike_W
11-14-2013, 08:56 AM
I think the last few post might be an indication and ABB summarized pretty good in his final statement.

Pixel Shooter
11-14-2013, 08:58 AM
thread was closed because the Op requested it, no voodoo magic here buddy :) ABB just closed it, he could have deleted it ;)
Being your the Op now, have at er...

Geezle
11-14-2013, 09:01 AM
thread was closed because the Op requested it, no voodoo magic here buddy :) ABB just closed it, he could have deleted it ;)
Being your the Op now, have at er...

Fair enough, I'm just used to ABB squashing threads! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

silverdoctor
11-14-2013, 09:07 AM
So what happened?

troutbug
11-14-2013, 09:30 AM
So what happened?

I cant confirm anything but iv heard he was guiding without a license or proper insurance and was also using pictures which he had not taken to advertise. Rumor also is that he did not have a proper business license to sell his fishing lures etc.Most of this has already been said in the other locked thread. I know he committed and "donated" trips but never came through and that was before he was sick.

Again, just what iv been told, im sure more can chime in

silverdoctor
11-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Interesting. The fishing hole has products listed for BBJ outdoor, one in the same?

AppleJax
11-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Can anyone enlighten us on the legalities of guided fishing? Is it similar to guided hunting, where they need a special license and insurance?

cube
11-14-2013, 10:00 AM
I cant confirm anything but iv heard he was guiding without a license or proper insurance and was also using pictures which he had not taken to advertise. Rumor also is that he did not have a proper business license to sell his fishing lures etc.Most of this has already been said in the other locked thread. I know he committed and "donated" trips but never came through and that was before he was sick.

Again, just what iv been told, im sure more can chime in

I don't know if BBJ has a guides licence/insurance or not but, perhaps I'm wrong here, it was my understanding that in Alberta you don't need a guides licence to guide for fishing. It is also my understanding that you do not require insurance either, you just risk losing everything should you be sued.

troutbug
11-14-2013, 10:02 AM
I don't know if BBJ has a guides licence/insurance or not but, perhaps I'm wrong here, it was my understanding that in Alberta you don't need a guides licence to guide for fishing. It is also my understanding that you do not require insurance either, you just risk losing everything should you be sued.

Kinda wonder why when asked for it he said he had it yet never produced

cube
11-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Interesting. The fishing hole has products listed for BBJ outdoor, one in the same?

NO

huntsfurfish
11-14-2013, 10:03 AM
And if just regular insurance that we all have, would likely not cover u if you were guiding/business.

Winch101
11-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Though you don't need a outfitters licence , or guides licence a smart person
Has the following Ltd. company to limit liabilities , extra liability insurance,
Bussiness insurance coverage on vehicle and boat.....All income tax registrations
Local bussiness licence....WCB ...coverage

You can see why not too many fishing outfitters/ guides....it's a crap shoot

dodgeboy1979
11-14-2013, 11:04 AM
technically though you would need a commercial watercraft license etc... if you were charging people to fish on the vessil. It would be in your best interest to have a liability insurance as well. I'm assuming your boat would have to be registered as commercial as well.

drake
11-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Someone on this site requested a picture of a sturgeon my brother caught under the pretence of using it in a "NSR sturgeon fishing article" to be published in a popular Canadian outdoor magazine. It ended up being used in a 6 sentence plug for BBJ's guide service in the front of the mag. Brutal

Okotokian
11-14-2013, 11:32 AM
IBTL

Threads about threads getting shut down always get shut down.

It's like arguing too long and vehemently with a cop about getting a ticket. Usually ends with you in back seat of a squad car. LOL

troutbug
11-14-2013, 11:34 AM
IBTL

It's like arguing too long and vehemently with a cop about getting a ticket. Usually ends with you in back seat of a squad car. LOL

I think its more about people wondering what went down and why the guy wasnt contacting the people he should have. Hes quite active on facebook yet couldnt email the people he owes trips to.

cube
11-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Though you don't need a outfitters licence , or guides licence a smart person
Has the following Ltd. company to limit liabilities , extra liability insurance,
Bussiness insurance coverage on vehicle and boat.....All income tax registrations
Local bussiness licence....WCB ...coverage

You can see why not too many fishing outfitters/ guides....it's a crap shoot

I know of guides (not fishing) who, just as you say, incorporated their guide service as a limited liability company but never took out insurance. Their thinking was that the cost of insurance was prohibitive and if someone were to sue the most they would get is the assets of the limited liability company which in their case was not allot. So it's always a good Idea to check before you book.

cube
11-14-2013, 12:04 PM
IBTL

Given Pixel Shooter ( a Mod) in post #3 said "have at er... " I can't see this being locked any time soon. Not saying it should not die a quick natural death though

Albertadiver
11-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Although BBJ's profile says guest, he's apparantly now banned from the forum.

Not the best form to bash a guy when he can't state his side of the story.

I know BBJ's has had less than steller interactions with some of the people posting on this thread and seems to be a bit of a lynch mob.

But, if what they say is factual, I suppose it's fair game. I just don't like the fact that the guy can't come on here and defend himself if he wishes to.

AntlerAssassin
11-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Someone on this site requested a picture of a sturgeon my brother caught under the pretence of using it in a "NSR sturgeon fishing article" to be published in a popular Canadian outdoor magazine. It ended up being used in a 6 sentence plug for BBJ's guide service in the front of the mag. Brutal

That is some serious business.

cube
11-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Can anyone enlighten us on the legalities of guided fishing? Is it similar to guided hunting, where they need a special license and insurance?

No.

Even hunting guides do not require it unless their booking non residents.

http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?aspAction=GetHTMLProfile&format=html&OCCPRO_ID=71002679

As you can see the only restriction in Alberta, outside the mountain parks, is having a fishing licence "Fishing guides require a valid Alberta Fishing licence."

silverdoctor
11-14-2013, 12:32 PM

TROLLER
11-14-2013, 12:56 PM
No.

Even hunting guides do not require it unless their booking non residents.

http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?aspAction=GetHTMLProfile&format=html&OCCPRO_ID=71002679

As you can see the only restriction in Alberta, outside the mountain parks, is having a fishing licence "Fishing guides require a valid Alberta Fishing licence."

All guides unless you are guiding a relative or friend on a special permit must be licensed and insured and a member in good standing of APOS

Don't think fish guides require anything but just guessing . Hunting guides be it big game or birds must be licensed and insured. I know this because I ran an outfit for migratory hunters for several years and was a member of APOS

DarkAisling
11-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Rumor also is that he did not have a proper business license to sell his fishing lures etc.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't actually need a business license to sell his fishing lures, as the business doesn't meet the criteria for requiring a license.

The "Service Alberta" website goes into detail about what types of business require licensing.

diamond k
11-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't actually need a business license to sell his fishing lures, as the business doesn't meet the criteria for requiring a license.

The "Service Alberta" website goes into detail about what types of business require licensing.

I dont believe you are correct. He was building a product for retail sale and would not be considered a cottage industry and had a physical address attached to the business hence I believe a licenceses are required as well GST numbers and tax information

DarkAisling
11-14-2013, 01:24 PM
I dont believe you are correct. He was building a product for retail sale and would not be considered a cottage industry and had a physical address attached to the business hence I believe a licenceses are required as well GST numbers and tax information

I can sell the flies that I tie, and I do not require a business license. If I actually started a proprietorship (or incorporated business), I still would not require a business license. I would however, require a GST number.

Edit: To clarify . . . I am part owner of two incorporated companies. In addition to that, I consulted with our corporate lawyer, our corporate accountant, Service Alberta, Revenue Canada, and the City of Calgary when I was considering officially forming a business I could sell flies under (for the tax right-offs).

diamond k
11-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Not the best form to bash a guy when he can't state his side of the story.

I know BBJ's has had less than steller interactions with some of the people posting on this thread and seems to be a bit of a lynch mob.

But, if what they say is factual, I suppose it's fair game. I just don't like the fact that the guy can't come on here and defend himself if he wishes to.

I can appreciate your comments and it was me who started the original post and also asked for it to be closed but he should also be aware of repercutions of his actions. Sorry he cant respond to allegations and comments but if he had dealt with his business professionally he would be able to comment on here. He needs to remember the old saying" Dont crap where you eat". He was tollerated for a long time by many on here and eventually his dealing came back to haunt him.

Winch101
11-14-2013, 01:47 PM
I think the City of Calgary would like to know if you are manufacturing
For retail sales out of your home .. Especially if customers are coming to your
Home to shop..

DarkAisling
11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
I think the City of Calgary would like to know if you are manufacturing
For retail sales out of your home .. Especially if customers are coming to your
Home to shop..

I would require one if people were coming to my home to purchase items. I also would require one for sales over a certain amount in a year . . . but I can't remember what the number was. $20K is the number in my head, but I could be wrong on that one. It was ridiculously high compared to the incredibly meager volume I do.

millartech
11-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I can sell the flies that I tie, and I do not require a business license. If I actually started a proprietorship (or incorporated business), I still would not require a business license. I would however, require a GST number.

Edit: To clarify . . . I am part owner of two incorporated companies. In addition to that, I consulted with our corporate lawyer, our corporate accountant, Service Alberta, Revenue Canada, and the City of Calgary when I was considering officially forming a business I could sell flies under (for the tax right-offs).

I believe you are correct. I am certain it is based off annual income for the business. 30K seems to ring a bell from discussions with some of my friends who are small business owners.

troutbug
11-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I would require one if people were coming to my home to purchase items. I also would require one for sales over a certain amount in a year . . . but I can't remember what the number was. $20K is the number in my head, but I could be wrong on that one. It was ridiculously high compared to the incredibly meager volume I do.

He had a company name, logo, business cards, webpage, sold to local dealers...hows that not qualify as a business...he also mentioned before he had little foreigners making hooks in his basement....

DarkAisling
11-14-2013, 03:07 PM
He had a company name, logo, business cards, webpage, sold to local dealers...hows that not qualify as a business...he also mentioned before he had little foreigners making hooks in his basement....

Not all businesses require business licenses. One of the corporations I'm a part (50%) owner of doesn't require a business license (though the other corporation I own 50% of does require a business license). The kicker is that the one that doesn't require a license is an identical business, in every way, to the one that does require the license. It just doesn't make as much money as the other one. The one requiring the license has a more "trendy" name, and thus it attracts more business as a result.

Sure the logo, name, business cards, website, and the whole ball of wax that goes along with it add some flash . . . but those things do not determine whether or not a business license is required. Even having someone working for you doesn't guarantee that a business license is required.

There are a number of factors that go into determining whether or not a business license is required, and it could be difficult for anyone to make a determination looking in from the outside. I can't tell you how many phone calls hubby and I have made with regards to making sure our businesses are operating correctly.

Unless there is first person reporting relating to the allegation of insufficient licensing (like with the sturgeon photo), I'm skeptical of it.

troutbug
11-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Anyways

BeeGuy
11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Looks like the inter-season is well underway.

A thread talking a guy who is ill or in the hospital? Really?

Stay classy AO.

troutbug
11-14-2013, 03:53 PM

A thread **** talking a guy who is ill or in the hospital? Really?

Stay classy AO.

hes well enough to bad mouth the mods to me last night and slam the site.

If you dont know him or have not had dealings with him then you wont understand.

diamond k
11-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Yes you are correct. John however had equipment (boat)over a certain monitary amount to require the licence as well was operating out of his home from what I understand as people would come there to view and purchase fishing tackle and bait etc. We had a guy in the same town as John who fought for years that he did not need a license for his skate sharpening business out of his garage. Both the operating out of a home where clients came and the cost of his equipment were used and eventually he lost and opened up a retail location. I live in the same town and have 2 business licences and they cost 300 bucks so not like it was the end of the world.

BeeGuy
11-14-2013, 04:01 PM
selling fishing tackle and sharpening skates out of your home?

RavYak
11-14-2013, 04:51 PM

I believe people show up as guests when they have had their profile deleted.

DarkAisling
11-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Anyways

A perfectly appropriate comment . . . for a teenage girl.

Stay classy AO.

John hasn't just been ill . . . he's been incredibly ill. His illness puts the bronchitis I've been fighting since August to shame. He's lucky to still be alive.

hes well enough to bad mouth the mods to me last night and slam the site.

If you dont know him or have not had dealings with him then you wont understand.

Plenty of us know him and have had "dealings" with him, and we don't understand.

Yes you are correct. John however had equipment (boat)over a certain monitary amount to require the licence as well was operating out of his home from what I understand as people would come there to view and purchase fishing tackle and bait etc. We had a guy in the same town as John who fought for years that he did not need a license for his skate sharpening business out of his garage. Both the operating out of a home where clients came and the cost of his equipment were used and eventually he lost and opened up a retail location. I live in the same town and have 2 business licences and they cost 300 bucks so not like it was the end of the world.

That is low! I'm assuming these businesses are proprietorships. How, in good conscious, can they get away with that? Under their policy, the portion of a house that is used as an office could be factored into the equation, and the same with a vehicle that is sometimes used for business. A business that makes a couple hundred bucks a month could wind up being valued at $100,000 plus in the town's eyes (especially when factoring in boats and skate sharpening equipment). While the skate sharpening equipment wouldn't see much personal use, boats and trucks sure do. That would leave me seething. I'd fight the town just out of spite.

CanadianBadass
11-14-2013, 06:03 PM

Stay classy AO.

I agree !

John is a great guy, A little bit unhealthy at the moment, Who cares for how he runs his business, I don't,

He is a really friendly guy . I for one cant stand reading all this, Its his life, his business, plus like Beeguy said, The guys been extremely Ill Latly and I for one would be saddened if john had gone tomorrow !

STAY CLASSY !

crosbyfan123
11-14-2013, 06:21 PM
I agree !

John is a great guy, A little bit unhealthy at the moment, Who Gives a **** how he runs his ****, I don't,

He is a really friendly guy . I for one cant stand reading all this, Its his life, his business, plus like Beeguy said, The guys been extremely Ill Latly and I for one would be saddened if john had gone tomorrow !

STAY CLASSY !

*lately

Tbh sounds like you guys are using an illness as an excuse to rip people off.

IBTL

hal53
11-14-2013, 06:26 PM
*lately

IBTL
have you been ripped off?, know anyone personally that has been ripped off? Please provide details....????

CanadianBadass
11-14-2013, 06:26 PM
*lately

IBTL

You guys ? I don't give a CRAP , how he runs HIS Business, All I stated, is the guys really really Ill, Don't jump down someone's throat without knowing FACTS !

CanadianBadass
11-14-2013, 06:27 PM
have you been ripped off?, know anyone personally that has been ripped off? Please provide details....????

x2 !

BeeGuy
11-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Yup

Pixel Shooter
11-14-2013, 06:32 PM
The op's intent was not to bash BJJ or get into character flaws, legitimate questions around service, which after reading all this sounds like Im reading the national inquirer, not cool. Not one person here has talked to experience with this individual, so no its not like talking about any other retailer or service that one has received service for.

Secondly questions and good discussions around licencing and insurance not that it is any of our business, but as a fyi some good discussion around requirements....

So in absence of all this, nothing more to say here folks