PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an AO online ice fishing tournament?

AppleJax
11-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Waterninja brought up the ice shanty tournament, and JR suggested an AO tournament. Maybe the sponsors of AO could donate a few fishing related items for an AO tournament. I think it would be a fun contest on here, and more of a local one than ice shanty. What's your thoughts?

Randyandkim
11-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I like the idea

jacenbeers
11-17-2013, 04:48 PM
If it was a real in person derby that would be even better.

BeeGuy
11-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Sounds good.

Who is kidding who. Every time I step on the ice it is a derby hahaha

So far I am losing :(

Flieguy
11-17-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the ice shanty one, are there different categories? Like different species? That'd be pretty cool!

if AOF doesn't wanna do an official one I might be ok with doing a pool sorta thing.... everybody chip in $5 or something

RavYak
11-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Why do you want the sponsors to support tournament? Either do it for fun or have every one entering chip in $10-20(get them to email transfer it to someone). That is the way most guys do online kayak fishing tournaments etc.

AdverseCity
11-17-2013, 07:03 PM
I'd be in for it and I support a minimal entry fee, helps for prizes (incentives) and makes sure the entrants stay committed. It'll give me a better reason to spend lots of time on the ice.

Dale S
11-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Lets start one. The rules for the one on I.S. sound like they would work well. We could have Pike, Perch, Walleye, RB Trout, Burbot and Whitefish. I'm sure we could come up with 18 prizes for 1st 2nd 3rd in each category. Keep it free so everyone can enter. Lets keep it simple. Maybe we should start the registration on this thread.

Dale S
11-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Lets keep the prizes small. People get a little crazy if there are big dollar prizes. Winning will be more about bragging rights.

Graffy91
11-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Waterninja brought up the ice shanty tournament, and JR suggested an AO tournament. Maybe the sponsors of AO could donate a few fishing related items for an AO tournament. I think it would be a fun contest on here, and more of a local one than ice shanty. What's your thoughts?

Or how about all of us, as users, start our own ANNUAL fishing derby?

Everyone pitch in 50 bucks, we all meet up one morning at a local lake (Wabamun) for instance, and we need valid pics of fish, weights, all the details.

Blah blah, it would be interesting to see how it runs.

Dale S
11-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Or how about all of us, as users, start our own ANNUAL fishing derby?

Everyone pitch in 50 bucks, we all meet up one morning at a local lake (Wabamun) for instance, and we need valid pics of fish, weights, all the details.

Blah blah, it would be interesting to see how it runs.

We have to keep it an online contest. And free. That way everyone can play.

AppleJax
11-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Lets start one. The rules for the one on I.S. sound like they would work well. We could have Pike, Perch, Walleye, RB Trout, Burbot and Whitefish. I'm sure we could come up with 18 prizes for 1st 2nd 3rd in each category. Keep it free so everyone can enter. Lets keep it simple. Maybe we should start the registration on this thread.

I'm liking your idea Dago, keep it free, small prizes, bragging rights! Just add Lake Trout to the list and were GTG!

dopemop
11-17-2013, 10:33 PM
North vs South?

EDMfishing
11-18-2013, 02:50 AM
Imo, an organized, in person one would be better or even perhaps multiple ones for different species, and also then could be spread out a bit more .... such as one trout day, and another mixxed day the next weekend or 2 weekends later.... or a different day and/or lake every weekend (or day whatever floats everyones ice shack) for every species:sHa_shakeshout: (just more of an excuse to get out alot :p) although different lakes would kinda spread it out and makes some 'events' more accessible for people in different areas

Dale S
11-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Imo, an organized, in person one would be better or even perhaps multiple ones for different species, and also then could be spread out a bit more .... such as one trout day, and another mixxed day the next weekend or 2 weekends later.... or a different day and/or lake every weekend (or day whatever floats everyones ice shack) for every species:sHa_shakeshout: (just more of an excuse to get out alot :p) although different lakes would kinda spread it out and makes some 'events' more accessible for people in different areas

That would be a big commitment. Licensing, insurance, organising, volunteers. It would also limit how many members would enter. Derbies are a thing of the past. They have just shut down 2 big derbies in the south, Newell and Travers. Lets keep it simple and lots of people will enter.

Dale S
11-18-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm liking your idea Dago, keep it free, small prizes, bragging rights! Just add Lake Trout to the list and were GTG!

We could add as many as we want. I tried to keep it to fish that are most accessible to everyone across the province.

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 06:19 AM
We could add as many as we want. I tried to keep it to fish that are most accessible to everyone across the province.

No reason it couldn't include all fish species.

Largest fish in centimeters clearly displayed on a ruler/tape with a personalized entry card in the photo.

Simple enough?

drhook
11-18-2013, 08:17 AM
I would suggest - To encourage catch and release any pictures submitted should be of a live fish. No keeping fish on the ice all day and bringing it home to take the pictures. Hate to see a 20+ lb Jack be kept to only win a small on-line derby.

Hanson
11-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a great idea.

AppleJax
11-18-2013, 08:30 AM
I would suggest - To encourage catch and release any pictures submitted should be of a live fish. No keeping fish on the ice all day and bringing it home to take the pictures. Hate to see a 20+ lb Jack be kept to only winning a small on-line derby.

Yes, I think catch and release should be fine. However, if someone decides to keep a legal fish let's not flame them on here. If I catch a "14 perch or a 10# Rainbow they are going on my wall.

drhook
11-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Yes, I think catch and release should be fine. However, if someone decides to keep a legal fish let's not flame them on here. If I catch a "14 perch or a 10# Rainbow they are going on my wall.

I agree, but take the picture right away. We don't need to know you took it home.

Marlin07
11-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Who are you guys kidding? The sniveling a tournament would cause would cause the site to unravel. Could you imagine what would happen if someone took a picture of a fish?

Fingers in gills, bad light and can't read the tape, looks more light 4 lbs not 6 ect. It would however be entertaining.

CanadianBadass
11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
This is an amazing idea, online, free, bragging rights, and maybe a personalized sig for the winner staying " AO Online fishing derby champion 2014" lol lol

This sounds like alot of fun.

jacenbeers
11-18-2013, 09:59 AM
PLease include Rocky Mountain Whitefish as one of the species.

Hunter Trav
11-18-2013, 11:53 AM
No reason it couldn't include all fish species.

Largest fish in centimeters clearly displayed on a ruler/tape with a personalized entry card in the photo.

Simple enough?

Yup, but add to that a pic of you holding the fish with the lake in the background, thats how its done on IS. I like the idea of the winner getting a custom banner and bragging rights. Anymore than that and we just get more whining and hurt feelings...

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 12:27 PM
How about instituting a minimum size for several species in order to reduce across the board molestation of fish.

For example:

pike - 100cm
pickerel - 65cm
perch - 30cm
trout - 40cm

etc

iliketrout
11-18-2013, 12:55 PM
I would definitely be interested in this!

If we do have an entry fee or prizes, may I suggest something along the lines of a buy-in, price TBD, and the winner gets 50% of the pot and the other 50% goes to a charity like wounded warriors or the APOS hunting opportunities for wounded veterans.

huntsfurfish
11-18-2013, 01:32 PM
How about instituting a minimum size for several species in order to reduce across the board molestation of fish.

For example:

pike - 100cm
pickerel - 65cm
perch - 30cm
trout - 40cm

etc

Not a bad idea.

Hunter Trav
11-18-2013, 02:24 PM

If we do have an entry fee or prizes, may I suggest something along the lines of a buy-in, price TBD, and the winner gets 50% of the pot and the other 50% goes to a charity like wounded warriors or the APOS hunting opportunities for wounded veterans.

Great idea, but I think it should be left as a freebie, with no prizes to avoid the whining and/or cheating that will go along with it. Also that way no one person has to be responsible for the money/prizes as that could become a bit of a pain...

iliketrout
11-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Great idea, but I think it should be left as a freebie, with no prizes to avoid the whining and/or cheating that will go along with it. Also that way no one person has to be responsible for the money/prizes as that could become a bit of a pain...

Fair enough, wish we didn't have to be worried about those "factors" but this is AO afterall...:scared0018:

wags
11-18-2013, 03:25 PM

For example:

pike - 100cm
pickerel - 65cm
perch - 30cm
trout - 40cm

etc

Those would almost all be PB for me! :P

YeeHaw
11-18-2013, 04:04 PM

For example:

pike - 100cm
pickerel - 65cm
perch - 30cm
trout - 40cm

etc

Looks like im out, before it begins.:D

I think it should be kept free for everyone, and if ppl want to make a small wager on things, then organize something where you register and place your bet say at wing night for the north ppl. Great incentive to get out, and maby someone that is there most every time ( wink wink), could collect.

Team Anzac
11-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Sounds good.

Who is kidding who. Every time I step on the ice it is a derby hahaha

So far I am losing :(

Like:)

silverdoctor
11-18-2013, 04:17 PM

That would be a plan... Everyone throws a few bucks into a pot.

Or make it about bragging rights, isn't that what AO is about?

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Anything done here should be free.

Side bets should be done off the board.

Given the interest in a semi-friendly competition, perhaps we should try and shore up the basic rules with the aim of keeping them simple.

1. Fish length clearly shown on a measuring device. Measured according to the Alberta reg's as outlined in the manual.

2. Included in the image is the fisher persons registration card/paper.

AppleJax
11-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Anything done here should be free.

Side bets should be done off the board.

Given the interest in a semi-friendly competition, perhaps we should try and shore up the basic rules with the aim of keeping them simple.

1. Fish length clearly shown on a measuring device. Measured according to the Alberta reg's as outlined in the manual.

2. Included in the image is the fisher persons registration card/paper.

Let's go with free, if it work out this year maybe it can evolve to a cash tournament next season. I like the rules you have stated. Let's say any sportfish in the Alberta regulations is eligable for its own class. Also the waterbody must be in Alberta, covered by the AB regulations. Lakes that border another province (Cold Lake) are also eligable.

Dale S
11-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Sounds like were going to do this. Bee Guys rules are the only ones we should need. The minimum size is a good rule.One thing we should figure out is what fish should be in the derby. Should we keep it limited to 5 or 6 different fish. Pike, walleye, RB Trout and perch are 4 we should have. What are 2 more that would work.

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Someone should draft a registration card and upload it so that everyone can print it off and fill it in.

Something approx. 4x6" would be good with very large lettering so we can see it in the pic.

Packing tape makes a good laminate for things like that.

Registrants should be able to use their AO handle.

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Sounds like were going to do this. Bee Guys rules are the only ones we should need. The minimum size is a good rule.One thing we should figure out is what fish should be in the derby. Should we keep it limited to 5 or 6 different fish. Pike, walleye, RB Trout and perch are 4 we should have. What are 2 more that would work.

I was thinking about that.

Prob don't need a minimum size. Won't take many posts before substantial lengths are submitted and those who are engaged in the competition know that there is little reason to submit a sub par entry.

How long before the pike bench mark is 36 or 40"+? Not long imo.

Don't see why all fish species can't be included.

We can put all kinds of riders in the rules, but might as well keep it as simple as possible.

After there's a bunch of ideas submitted we could poll them?

I'm happy to see suckers and other species included. Might as well make it as engaging as possible for those that want to participate.

In before triploids and brood stock clean up the trout categories!

1bluZebec
11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Can't wait sounds like fun forsure no matter what as long as there aren't any large prizes like previously mentioned it will just be best to have bragging rights and if there is money involved then again like previously stated prize should be donated with the winner taking home a trophy or banner or something.

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Can't wait sounds like fun forsure no matter what as long as there aren't any large prizes like previously mentioned it will just be best to have bragging rights and if there is money involved then again like previously stated prize should be donated with the winner taking home a trophy or banner or something.

Trophy with a gold plated RMWF on top would be a good prize for the best liar....err fisher.

huntsfurfish
11-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Would prefer not to have to mention the water body it was caught on. Many places do not need the extra attention.

Dale S
11-18-2013, 06:44 PM
We could easily do all sport fish in AB. No suckers and I think we should stay away from Bull Trout.

Dale S
11-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Would prefer not to have to mention the water body it was caught on. Many places do not need the extra attention.

Motion passed you do not have to say where the fish was caught.

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 06:49 PM
We could easily do all sport fish in AB. No suckers and I think we should stay away from Bull Trout.

Motion passed you do not have to say where it was caught.

:happy0034:

Gust
11-18-2013, 07:06 PM
So do we have to catch every species or is it one fish or a couple? Is it total length of all fish caught?

Gust
11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
How about a fee of "Nobody is allowed to post on general discussion until the tourney is complete"?

AppleJax
11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
I think Geezle is in the lead so far and he hasn't even posted anything yet ;)

Gust
11-18-2013, 07:42 PM
You know what a good prize would be,, the winner gets to choose a lake and a weekend for an on-ice meet n'greet with all participants.

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 07:51 PM
So do we have to catch every species or is it one fish or a couple? Is it total length of all fish caught?

no, yes, no, no. (?)

Gust
11-18-2013, 07:54 PM
no, yes, no, no. (?)

So one fish.

BeeGuy
11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Winner for each species and most wins is supreme grand champion of the universe?

Kim473
11-19-2013, 05:37 AM
I voted yes. Tried this last year but AO basicly ignored the request and it was a no go. If anything is to be made it should have been started 2 - 3 months ago to have some kind of organization to it.
Ain't gonna happen.

Dale S
11-19-2013, 06:27 AM
I voted yes. Tried this last year but AO basicly ignored the request and it was a no go. If anything is to be made it should have been started 2 - 3 months ago to have some kind of organization to it.
Ain't gonna happen.

It's already happening. I'll Have a draft of the rules up today.We don't have to register. If you want to play all you will need is a copy of the ID card,a tape measure and 2 pictures. One of the fish being measured with the ID card. And one of the person holding the fish. You will not have to show your face or name the lake. Ties will be decided by a judge,to be appointed.

Vigsy
11-19-2013, 08:48 AM
This sounds like an awsome idea! Im in:)

wags
11-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Is this going to run the whole winter type thing?

coppercarbide
11-19-2013, 09:09 AM
This sounds awesome! Awesome idea AJ.

I'm in for sure, I'm pumped!

I'll float a couple suggestions here:

1. The competition thread gets a sticky at the top of the fishing section. NO discussion in the thread (will solve some problems right away). Anything other than legitimate contest entries deleted.

2. People can start up a thread in the fishing section if they want to talk about their contest entry (so posting it twice, once in the official competition sticky thread, and once in the forum). Perhaps we should ask the mods to have a little more itchy trigger finger on the 'delete' button than normal... we've all seen some threads derail pretty quickly when pics are involved.

3. A quick word doc of the official rules is under way I gather, but it might not hurt to include some tips on fish handling if one is going to release the fish. Lots of google sources to cut and paste out there: http://www.thefishingnut.com/articles/fishhandle.html
Post some recommended fish handling, point out that large fish are good breeders, include a link to Alberta Fishing Regs... and lets leave it at that for the rest of the contest.

Dale S
11-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Is this going to run the whole winter type thing?

We should have a start date and an end date. Lets start Dec.1 and end Feb 28. Can someone with better computer skills than me figure out an I'D card we can print off and use in our pictures.

Dale S
11-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Those are good ideas copper carbide. Who do we talk to about a sticky.

DiabeticKripple
11-19-2013, 09:23 AM
something like this work? just a sheet of paper, take some tape and cover it so it cant get wet.

coppercarbide
11-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Thought I'd compile the rules that everyone seems to agree upon:

1. All Alberta sportfish have their own category:
Lake Trout, Cutties, Rainbow, Brook, Browns, Whitefish, Rocky Mountain Whites, Walleye/Sauger, Pike, Perch, Burb, Sturg (I think that's all?)

2. The fish will be in a picture showing the entire fish, along with a tape measure cleary and unarguably showing the length of the fish according to Alberta regs here: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/general-regs.html under "Measuring Fish Length"

3. Each person will have a personalized entry card they will print. This MUST be included in any pictures of the fish.

4. Lake MUST be in AB. This is an honour-system thing, as you are not required to disclose which lake it was.

5. Start date of Dec 1, End Date March 31

Still needs discussion:

1. All we have discussed is bragging for 'biggest fish'. I think it'd be cool to see "Most Species Caught" as well

2. Prizes. Some resistance here and needs to be someone to go out to Fishing Hole, Cabelas, etc... Not sure if this part is going to happen.

3. Who is designing ID cards?

coppercarbide
11-19-2013, 09:29 AM
something like this work? just a sheet of paper, take some tape and cover it so it cant get wet.

I'm not sure we need the species on the ID card. Just a forum handle I think, people can take it with them whenever they go fishing?

AppleJax
We should have a start date and an end date. Lets start Dec.1 and end Feb 28. Can someone with better computer skills than me figure out an I'D card we can print off and use in our pictures.

Season ends March 31 up here for ice. How about Dec1-March31?

coppercarbide
Anyone else have any other ideas for awards?

- Biggest fish in each category is obvious.
- I floated 'most type of species in one year'

Anything else?

DiabeticKripple
11-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure we need the species on the ID card. Just a forum handle I think, people can take it with them whenever they go fishing?

sure ill edit it

DiabeticKripple
11-19-2013, 09:33 AM
i dont think the dates should be set. just fish ice on to ice off

Hunter Trav
11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
The end date should be Mar. 31. Lots of lakes close at this time anyways, licenses expire, its a good way to bring the contest to an official close. Otherwise you will have guys like me who will risk going out way late if there is ice somewhere. My personal latest icefishing date was May 15, about 2 years ago at Spray. Biggest fish in each category, and the most species are more than enough bragging titles, otherwise we'll need Chuck Norris in here to deflate some egos...lol

2 pictures per, one of the fish and a YELLOW tape measure beside it for the length, one of the fisherman holding the fish PROPERLY, and it has to show you on the ice either beside a hole, tent, or with the lake in the background. And I guess it doesn't need to include a face shot for those who are too ugly and embarrassed to have their picture up on here...:cool:

DiabeticKripple
11-19-2013, 10:18 AM
The end date should be Mar. 31. Lots of lakes close at this time anyways, licenses expire, its a good way to bring the contest to an official close. Otherwise you will have guys like me who will risk going out way late if there is ice somewhere. My personal latest icefishing date was May 15, about 2 years ago at Spray. Biggest fish in each category, and the most species are more than enough bragging titles, otherwise we'll need Chuck Norris in here to deflate some egos...lol

2 pictures per, one of the fish and a YELLOW tape measure beside it for the length, one of the fisherman holding the fish PROPERLY, and it has to show you on the ice either beside a hole, tent, or with the lake in the background. And I guess it doesn't need to include a face shot for those who are too ugly and embarrassed to have their picture up on here...:cool:

why yellow? as long as you can easily see the numbers and the end of the tape, it should be good.

Hunter Trav
11-19-2013, 10:31 AM
why yellow? as long as you can easily see the numbers and the end of the tape, it should be good.

Its easier to see and read. A white tape would blend with the background somewhat. They are very specific about using a yellow tape in the ice shanty tourney, and I believe thats why...

kevinhits
11-19-2013, 10:55 AM
I am in...

I think I will just head out to newell with WC and steal his monster pike this winter...:bad_boys_20:

huntsfurfish
11-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I like the end of Feb. Down south we could have open water in March;). That is still a 3 month derby.

Hunter Trav
11-19-2013, 12:07 PM
You still have the option to come north to fish in March if that happens...:)

Dale S
11-19-2013, 12:11 PM
I like the end of Feb. Down south we could have open water in March;). That is still a 3 month derby.

I agree, fishing down south closes March15. Lets make it the end of Feb.

Dale S
11-19-2013, 12:19 PM
As far as prizes.How ever wants to sponsor a fish category will be responsible for a plaque or trophy. And has the responsibility to get it to the winner.I will sponsor the Perch category.

kevinhits
11-19-2013, 12:54 PM
I agree, fishing down south closes March15. Lets make it the end of Feb.

:happy0034:

DiabeticKripple
11-19-2013, 01:05 PM
As far as prizes.How ever wants to sponsor a fish category will be responsible for a plaque or trophy. And has the responsibility to get it to the winner.I will sponsor the Perch category.

i thought there will be no prizes, only bragging rights

LeroyvdH
11-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Sounds like fun..
Leroy

Vigsy
11-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I think march 31st is a good end the last couple days up north are prime pike fishing.

BeeGuy
11-19-2013, 05:53 PM
I think excluding bull trout is a good idea.

I don't think it is necessary to make a rule dictating how a fish must be held, and whether it is alive or not.

It goes without saying that C&R fish should be held in a manner that causes the least amount of stress.

It also goes without saying that C&R fish will be alive when they are measured.

If, I'm taking my fish home for dinner, who cares whether it is alive or not when I measure it?

Adding a bunch of small rules like this will just lead to:

:argue2:

Dale S
11-19-2013, 06:10 PM
I think excluding bull trout is a good idea.

I don't think it is necessary to make a rule dictating how a fish must be held, and whether it is alive or not.

It goes without saying that C&R fish should be held in a manner that causes the least amount of stress.

It also goes without saying that C&R fish will be alive when they are measured.

If, I'm taking my fish home for dinner, who cares whether it is alive or not when I measure it?

Adding a bunch of small rules like this will just lead to:

:argue2:
Bull Trout are out. The only rules we need to follow are the ones in the reg. booklet. I will start a poll on the ending date for the derby. Sounds like everyone is good with starting on Dec 1.

AppleJax
11-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Bull Trout are out. The only rules we need to follow are the ones in the reg. booklet. I will start a poll on the ending date for the derby. Sounds like everyone is good with starting on Dec 1.

Lets meet in the middle and go for March 15th. As mentioned March is prime time up north here for the big girls.

Dale S
11-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Lets meet in the middle and go for March 15th. As mentioned March is prime time up north here for the big girls.

That sounds good March 15 it is. And one other thing the south is going to take most of the trophies.

Dale S
11-19-2013, 06:29 PM
i thought there will be no prizes, only bragging rights

I think a plaque or trophy would go along good with bragging rights.

Gust
11-19-2013, 06:32 PM
so the minimum size is BG's or is there a minimum.

I'm still reading the rules on how to play Monopoly,, was never a strong point.

BeeGuy
11-19-2013, 06:33 PM
I'll put together a trophy for the RMWF.

That'll save on postage.

;)

BeeGuy
11-19-2013, 06:33 PM
so the minimum size is BG's or is there a minimum.

I'm still reading the rules on how to play Monopoly,, was never a strong point.

There is no minimum.

The only rule in monopoly is the banker always wins...

BeeGuy
11-19-2013, 06:35 PM
It should be clarified that only bodies of water which fall under the Alberta Fishing Reg's apply.

Private and community managed fisheries do not qualify.

Gust
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I'll put together a trophy for the RMWF.

That'll save on postage.

;)

I have the pike trophy and it is truly stunning,,, it stinks right now, but by then it will be gorgeous.

AppleJax
11-19-2013, 07:29 PM
That sounds good March 15 it is. And one other thing the south is going to take most of the trophies.

Bah! I'm going to catch the Laker trophy and it sure wont be down south!

Dale S
11-21-2013, 05:33 AM
sure ill edit it

Did you get something figured out. I don't think we need to register. Just make sure you have a copy of what ever is made up. We have 2 categories perch and RMWF that have sponsors. Sponsor a trophy you think your going to win.

Dale S
11-26-2013, 07:19 AM
bump

Don Andersen
11-26-2013, 08:20 AM
The Govt says

"Derby and Tournament Licensing
The licensing of organized fishing derbies and tournaments (Competitive Fishing Events or CFE’s) is required for events involving more than 25 participants. The type of licence depends on the number of participants and the value of prizes. The cost of all licences is $25 and will be issued only to organizers who are residents of Alberta. Best Management Practices have been developed and incorporated into licence conditions to reduce impacts on fish populations. Events with 25 or fewer participants do not require a licence, but organizers are encouraged to voluntarily register such events and to follow best management practices.
Non-competitive fishing events, any event where 26 or more people participate in angling for one or more consecutive days on a specified water, do not require a licence, if prizes are awarded for participation or random draw, not a fishing competition.
The CFE website, at mywildalberta.com, provides organizers with application and reporting forms, licence conditions, contact information, and information on how best to operate an event. "

You need to be organized - - - maybe?

Don

DiabeticKripple
11-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Did you get something figured out. I don't think we need to register. Just make sure you have a copy of what ever is made up. We have 2 categories perch and RMWF that have sponsors. Sponsor a trophy you think your going to win.

yup i edited the original post, but ill post it again

just realized that this site only allowed certain files to be posted, so i could only post a pdf.

its not hard to make your own, as long as your handle is visible

DiabeticKripple
11-26-2013, 08:44 AM
The Govt says

The licensing of organized fishing derbies and tournaments (Competitive Fishing Events or CFE’s) is required for events involving more than 25 participants. The type of licence depends on the number of participants and the value of prizes. The cost of all licences is $25 and will be issued only to organizers who are residents of Alberta. Best Management Practices have been developed and incorporated into licence conditions to reduce impacts on fish populations. Events with 25 or fewer participants do not require a licence, but organizers are encouraged to voluntarily register such events and to follow best management practices.
Non-competitive fishing events, any event where 26 or more people participate in angling for one or more consecutive days on a specified water, do not require a licence, if prizes are awarded for participation or random draw, not a fishing competition.
The CFE website, at mywildalberta.com, provides organizers with application and reporting forms, licence conditions, contact information, and information on how best to operate an event. "

Don

since we arent all going out and meeting up to do this i assume we do not need to be licensed.

BeeGuy
11-26-2013, 08:58 AM
The Govt says

Don

Given that there is no specific location or event, fees or prizes, I do not see how this would apply.

Dale S
11-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I have sent an email to mywildalberta. I let them know what are plans are and if we need a license. If you look at the forms they have you fill out for a derby, I'm sure we won't need a license. Don do you know if we need a license.

Reddin
11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Given that there is no specific location or event, fees or prizes, I do not see how this would apply.

x10. License, shmicence. Everyone should post their real name that participates in the derby just so that their name is spelled correct on the plaque if they win.

Who Da Fisherman
11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm in. Quick read as long as no prizes (non competitive) and not to one specific water body we are fine.
I have not heard/ seen the mods are willing to make this a sticky, please give your input.
As the derby goes forward no entries smaller then currently entered not allowed.
I think to have multiple large fish per category would be hard as then we would have to enter fish that are smaller then the largest current size.
All legal retention allowed fish can be entered as long as they exceed current entered size/weight.
Since Applejax-Dago started this they should have final contact to verify winners, I know but someone needs to make the final decision. (This will help for the sideline bets) (ps I'm in)
To be fair Dec.1 to Mar.15 as it would not be fair for the people in the Deep South losing out on a couple of weeks fishing or if it is chinooking maybe even more.
The print out of the sheet looks good and must be used.
Legible tape measure and scale us a must. If Dago cannot verify then it does not count.
I'm off all through x-mast jus us gonna be fun....:sHa_shakeshout:

coppercarbide
11-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks Don. If we are to be "Alberta Outdoorsmen" and responsible for the management of our natural resources, I agree we should follow all rules and laws, even if it's 'grey'.

The Govt says

Don

Dale S
11-30-2013, 07:31 PM
I haven't heard back about a licence. So we are going to go ahead with the Dec.1 start. If we hear different we will deal with it. We will try and get the rules posted tonight.

wags
12-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Bump.

Is this on or still waiting for some license information?

I have some real hogs to submit but didn't want to if we haven't started! :thinking-006:
:sign0023: Ok, maybe not, but I'm gonna! Honest!

DiabeticKripple
12-04-2013, 07:41 PM
its on. no license needed. I bet these are done on many forums

fish gunner
12-04-2013, 07:42 PM
its on. no license needed. I bet these are done on many forums

How do I put my handle on the id jobber.

wags
12-04-2013, 08:11 PM

I copied it to a word document and typed it in. Unless you have Adobe writer or equivalent program, you can't edit in the program.

I also changed the Orientation to Landscape so it was length wise.

Cheers

fish gunner
12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I copied it to a word document and typed it in. Unless you have Adobe writer or equivalent program, you can't edit in the program.

I also changed the Orientation to Landscape so it was length wise.

Cheers what I read:

Garbble balrg dolfom gloop fioblre norp . Speaky the english (scots) please.

The Fisherman Guy
12-04-2013, 08:54 PM
what I read:

PM sent Fish Gunner.

You can also use the file I have attached to this post. Double click it, and save.

Print it off, and you are good to go.

AppleJax
12-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Gunner, I just printed it and wrote my handle with a sharpie. Made 2 and laminated them, or you could put it in a zip lock bag. AJ

wags
12-04-2013, 09:01 PM
PM sent Fish Gunner.

You can also use the file I have attached to this post. Double click it, and save.

Print it off, and you are good to go.

Yup, that'll work. LOL

Sorry Gunner, next time I'll make it easier for you :)

wags
12-04-2013, 09:04 PM
what I read:

Yup, that'll work. LOL

Sorry Gunner, next time I'll make it easier for you :)

Wait...do you have a way to print it? I can if you need and drop it off, something tells me you're in Red Deer.

Cheers,
Jay

Gust
12-04-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm out of printer ink and can't justify buying more to print one page. Can I just hand draw it and put my name on it?

AppleJax
12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm out of printer ink and can't justify buying more to print one page. Can I just hand draw it and put my name on it?

As long as it is legible, I don't see why not Gust.

Pierroy
12-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Don't forget the greatest trout
The brookie
:)

AppleJax
12-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Don't forget the greatest trout
The brookie
:)

Your in the right area for that, best of luck!!!

fish gunner
12-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Wait...do you have a way to print it? I can if you need and drop it off, something tells me you're in Red Deer.

Cheers,
Jay

I can dig that , I go on call fri so tomorrow eve would best btween 5-7. Will pm info .

wags
12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I can dig that , I go on call fri so tomorrow eve would best btween 5-7. Will pm info .

Sounds good.

Gust
12-04-2013, 09:46 PM
As long as it is legible, I don't see why not Gust.

cool

Who Da Fisherman
12-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I haven't heard back about a licence. So we are going to go ahead with the Dec.1 start. If we hear different we will deal with it. We will try and get the rules posted tonight.

Hey Dago how is that set of rules coming?

kevinhits
12-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Hey Dago how is that set of rules coming?

There is a sticky on top of the page with rules and you can start posting your fish also....

Dale S
12-05-2013, 06:24 AM
I still haven't heard anything from the SRD. The email was sent Nov.26. A reply would have been nice. So let the games begin. Great job on the rules coppercarbide. Lets keep this simple and fun. We are still looking for trophy sponsors. Perch and RMWF have sponsors.

AppleJax
12-05-2013, 07:44 AM
I still haven't heard anything from the SRD. The email was sent Nov.26. A reply would have been nice. So let the games begin. Great job on the rules coppercarbide. Lets keep this simple and fun. We are still looking for trophy sponsors. Perch and RMWF have sponsors.

I will sponsor Lake Trout.

coppercarbide
12-05-2013, 08:01 AM
I'll re-iterate I guess, I know dago posted it but I'll make it big.

PLEASE SEE THE STICKY AT THE TOP FOR THE RULES AND SUCH.

Looking forward to it!

Dale S
12-05-2013, 08:32 AM
I want to get a fish on the leader board early,might be the only time I have a lead. I have this week off,the plan was to do the Camp Wainwright hunt then fish the rest of the week. The temp. is -30 with a wind chill of -45,can't see getting off the couch today.

Dale S
12-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I got off the couch when it warmed up to -23. Hit the lake for a couple hours. Caught a good walleye to get the derby started.

kevinhits
12-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I got off the couch when it warmed up to -23. Hit the lake for a couple hours. Caught a good walleye to get the derby started.

You didn't pinch the tail.... Where's the judge?....Just kidding...Nice wallie to start:)

AppleJax
12-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Nice Walter Dago. I caught a 14" Rainbow today but I'm in Saskatchewan so it doesn't count....

coppercarbide
12-06-2013, 08:34 AM
You didn't pinch the tail.... Where's the judge?....Just kidding...Nice wallie to start:)

Hahaha, AppleJax I think is the judge for Dago, lol.

Nice walleye tho Dago! Glad some folks are getting out in this weather!

DiabeticKripple
12-09-2013, 12:00 PM
saw this posted in another thread....

wow thats a monster. congrats.
pity you can't enter it in the AO hard water contest as it was not on a lake.
backstraps of that one would make a great fish fry.

IMO any body of water that is regulated under the regulations should count. That means rivers and lakes. Should clarify.

coppercarbide
12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
*RULE CLARIFICATION*

Regarding the river thing, I was chatting with AJ about this.

Rivers ARE acceptable (hard water is hard water), but please submit a picture showing clearly that you are ice-fishing and not open-water fishing (ice shack in background, hole in ice, etc).

So the burb WOULD be acceptable if they had also posted a picture with an ID card and measurements along with their picture showing they were 'ice fishing'.

100% sure that fish would have held the top burb for the season too, beauty fish.

Richmuiz
12-12-2013, 09:44 PM
How and what do I need to do this thanks

CanadianBadass
12-12-2013, 10:03 PM
*RULE CLARIFICATION*

Regarding the river thing, I was chatting with AJ about this.

Rivers ARE acceptable (hard water is hard water), but please submit a picture showing clearly that you are ice-fishing and not open-water fishing (ice shack in background, hole in ice, etc).

So the burb WOULD be acceptable if they had also posted a picture with an ID card and measurements along with their picture showing they were 'ice fishing'.

100% sure that fish would have held the top burb for the season too, beauty fish.

Great Ideas, But people are crazy if they ice fish the NSR lol lol

Red Bullets
12-12-2013, 11:13 PM
I have read the entire thread and seen how this 'derby' has all developed online..today is Dec. 12 and i see no posts of anyones fish on the thread. How come?

I thought of what the grand fishing prize could be for any fish caught during the derby that breaks the biggest provincial record fish for that species.

simple rule. If no one catches a fish that breaks the provincial record for that species, then there is no prize awarded.

And the winners prize would be:
They get to be a moderator on the AO Fishing Forum for a year. :fishing::sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
12-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I have read the entire thread and seen how this 'derby' has all developed online..today is Dec. 12 and i see no posts of anyones fish on the thread. How come?

I thought of what the grand fishing prize could be for any fish caught during the derby that breaks the biggest provincial record fish for that species.

simple rule. If no one catches a fish that breaks the provincial record for that species, then there is no prize awarded.

And the winners prize would be:
They get to be a moderator on the AO Fishing Forum for a year. :fishing::sHa_shakeshout:

Look for a sticky on the top of the threads.

Dale S
12-13-2013, 04:44 AM

I'm glad Wayne's in the south. The south rules.

AppleJax
12-13-2013, 04:52 AM

I'm going to take the lead on Brook Trout this weekend. Even a stocker should do that so far!

waterninja
12-13-2013, 09:29 AM
the south rules? ha! north vs. south? i like it. were just letting you guys down south get a head start so you'll have some glory, however brief. lol
besides, were to busy shovelling snow up here to condition ourselves to pull up some monsters.

Hunter Trav
12-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Wayne's just a machine, if it's a north vs. south thing, he's not allowed to enter...:lol:

EZM
12-13-2013, 09:07 PM
North vs. South ...........

Red Deer must be split between Flames fans and Oilers fans to determine who's group you belong to.

Any Leafs fans in Red Deer automatically loose ..........

Gust
12-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Wayne's just a machine, if it's a north vs. south thing, he's not allowed to enter...:lol:

Holy cow that statement sounds like what a jail-biatch would say in Prison. Though, it's not like anyone south of Red Deer would expect anything else.

Shouldn't we call you HunterTrish till the end of the tourny?

fish gunner
12-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Red Deer must be split between Flames fans and Oilers fans to determine who's group you belong to.

What abought us knuckle heads.

WayneChristie
12-13-2013, 10:59 PM
What abought us knuckle heads.

Id say youse guys should be used to losing already :bad_boys_20:

wags
12-14-2013, 12:39 AM

Ouch!

fish gunner
12-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Id say youse guys should be used to losing already :bad_boys_20:

Hay now second place is a little better than golf ! No?

WayneChristie
12-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Hay now second place is a little better than golf ! No?

just hackin on ya. havent watched a hockey game in years :bad_boys_20: theres fishin to be done!

waterninja
12-14-2013, 04:16 PM
question for wayne.... what is that pic. by your name? looks like a firemans helmet. just curious.

CanadianBadass
12-14-2013, 04:19 PM
question for wayne.... what is that pic. by your name? looks like a firemans helmet. just curious.

Northern Pike !

WayneChristie
12-14-2013, 07:08 PM
32 pound pike :) my best so far from last March

WayneChristie
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/1450764_10152053064624653_124478878_n_zps7e2d3e67. jpg

waterninja
12-14-2013, 08:57 PM
sorry, my brain must be fried. one pic looks nothing like the other. you 2 do make for a good looking couple though. lol
did you give her a kiss before releasing?

WayneChristie
12-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Just want to say thanks to yeehaw for leaving his tape home and keeping my pike number one for a couple more days :bad_boys_20: nice fish bud!

waterninja
12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Just want to say thanks to yeehaw for leaving his tape home and keeping my pike number one for a couple more days :bad_boys_20: nice fish bud!
just posted pic. of yeehaws gator. north vs. south getting interesting. bet he never leaves tapemeasure at home again. lol

WayneChristie
12-16-2013, 02:59 PM
The pike category is definitely going to be interesting thats for sure.

waterninja
12-16-2013, 03:10 PM
frankly, i'm most interested in what the biggest rainbow will be.

WayneChristie
12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Depends on how many you take I guess :bad_boys_20:

Dale S
12-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Lets keep this thread going for any questions or info about the derby. Thanks for the offer bearbait, but we have choose to go with no monetary valued prizes. We are looking for sponsors for a plaque for the first place fish in every category. The categories are listed with the rules. I'll see if we can get a sponsor list on the sticky thread.
tysonlazo2 we will have to stay with the rules we have in place. Just get him to join this great web sight.
Applejax nice RB but it didn't last long on the leader board.Nice fish #1youngun ,beeguy and AdAMxr
Heading out this morning, going to try and get a pike on the board.

Vigsy
12-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Just a question i thought i had seen that there would be no entries smaller then ones that had already been submitted? I may be wrong but just to clarify.

WayneChristie
12-24-2013, 05:42 PM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/IMG1562_zps8dda96e0.jpg
oh crap I forgot to measure it :bad_boys_20:. can always thaw it out I guess

Liarsenic
12-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Just a question i thought i had seen that there would be no entries smaller then ones that had already been submitted? I may be wrong but just to clarify.

For the ultimate angler you combine all your best lengths though