PDA

View Full Version : Boat Dealership

Paddyo
01-14-2007, 01:46 PM
There is finally a new boat dealership opening in Calgary! We have five Fiberglass lines and we are going to be putting in a Aluminum Fishing Boat line. So What line should we go with? Lund is out, so you guys tell me what you think is the best Aluminum Boat for Calgary. Thanks!

getasheep
01-14-2007, 02:00 PM
how about legends?

www.legendboats.com/ (http://www.legendboats.com/)

For the suggestion, I'll take a 14ft widebody at half price! ha ha ha

Paddyo
01-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I spent 2 days at the Legend Head Quarters and they are an impresive boat, and definately on the short list. Thanks!

walleyes
01-14-2007, 03:42 PM
How about Harbourcraft they make some fine boats... And some fine river boats also...

bardfromedson
01-14-2007, 05:54 PM
my old man got a 20 ft legand. uses it down in mexico and loves it. handles the swells pretty good

444MarlinXLR
01-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I bought a Crestliner 1750 Sportfish a couple springs ago but had a difficult time finding one initially. Very much in demand with the welded deep-V, an excellent boat all around. We need more Crestliner dealerships.

nafegavas
01-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Me too for Harbercraft. Where will the store be located?

Grizzled
01-14-2007, 08:04 PM
That,s great ! I hope service is high on the list of priorities as I am tired of going to Airdrie or Nanton for service.I will be customer !

dodger
01-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Polar Kraft or Crestliner. Please open soon as service and poor treatment from the OLD companies is a real pain in the rear. I will be shopping for a new boat in the next couple of months. I have been looking all over the province at dealers trying to avoid the local ones.

dodger
01-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Dodger again, Take a look at Lowe boats also. Please keep updates available.

Grizzled
01-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Polar Kraft makes an extensive line of boats and they compare to all other models....

craveman
01-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Sure would be nice to see some of those Duckworth Alum boat's built in the washington area featured on Colombia Fishing,check out thier web site!Also Northern built in B.C. are another well built boat,i never heard of them until my x neibour in FtMac bought one,was very impressed,was sold by L&M in High Prarie,Ab.Harbor Craft is prob one of the best built Canadian boat's for fishermen as thier northern edition has the input of the ppl who used them while being called a proto type,and living a few blocks from where the hull's are built,see just how well they are built right here in Alberta!

Topwater
01-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Triton boats has an alum line. What fibreglass lines are you bringing in?

Paddyo
01-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow! thanks for the great input guys! To answer a couple of questions. Service is top on my list for the new dealership, I am painfully aware of the lack of service at the local stores. The store will be located just off Barlow tr. I will post an exact address and opening date at a later time. We are looking to be open for Feb 1st. Legend and Polarkraft are two of the lines we are looking at. We have five lines in the glass boats, Cobalt, Larson, Mastercraft, Campion, and Crownline. Our service department will be open to all makes and models. I really appreciate all the feedback keep er coming! And thanks again.

best aluminum boat
01-15-2007, 01:14 PM
I have had many Lunds and the last one Crestliner
all welded , excellent ,
Now if you are talking fishing boats , they have to be user friendly , set up right , good horsepower / weight
ratio . A few of these top brands are underpowered for
the weight and displacement . Alumacraft , Lowe,
would probably be two good makes available .
What line of motors are you carrying . I am also shopping ...

Paddyo
01-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Lund I believe have some quality control issues to get under control. The motor line will be determined by the brand of boat we decide to go with. Some manufacturers dictate as to the engines that go on their boats. But that is a qreat question for sure, so lets here what everyone thinks about the right powerplant as well! Thanks for your response and interest I hope we decide on the right line for you to at least come in and have a coffee and take a look!

harbercraft
01-15-2007, 03:01 PM
www.harbercraft.com

dodger
01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
I like the wide range of boats that Polar Kraft offers. I find that the selection of Legend boats to all be similar in style other than some length differences. My 2 cents worth for the 3rd time.

Paddyo
01-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Dodger

I appreciate your 2 cents worth and everyone elses. The biggest differance we want to make is being able to offer the best service possible. That is why I posted on here to see what you guys want or would like to see in the way of boats. I really want to thank you and all the others who have taken the time to reply. I hope to here more from you and anyone else who would like to "say their 2 cents worth" I do agree with you on the Polar Kraft line and they are definately on my short list. They seem to be well built, wide with wide gunnels, and come pretty well geared up for a good price point. Thanks again! And I will keep you posted on the line we decide on.

crestliner lund
01-15-2007, 08:10 PM
As for market i think i would carry the lund and crestliner baots. Im shopping now also for a boat and leaning towards a lund. Yamaha engines seems to be well respected. Will you be carrying a river boat line of jetboats?

Paddyo
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Deman

Lund is not an option at this point, Lund are a very good boat, in fact at one time they were considered "THE" boat. In my past retail experience with Lund I was somewhat dissapointed with the level of customer satisfaction that I was receiving back. I am not here to bash any boat lines and as I have said I still think Lund has a very good boat. As for Crestliner I do not think they have the product line to satisfy the market here in Calgary. Yamaha outboards I do agree with you are an exceptional motor, one of if not the best. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them!

Grizzled
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Yamaha or Merc's get my vote...have used both and never any problems...Like Minn Kota up front !

fishhunt
01-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I vote for Triton as well, maybe Tracker/Fisher

Topwater
01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
G3 boats

Grizzled
01-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Calgary really needs a quality marine dealer ! Will you be open any time soon?

Paddyo
01-16-2007, 09:00 PM
We will be open in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned to this post for details to come. Thanks again and keep those comments coming!

dodger
01-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I went to the Triton website and it looks like they have a good selection. They seem to give you choices on motors. As compared to other boat manufacturers that tell you what motor to put on your boat.
Also are you going to set up a financing program.

Paddyo
01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Dodger
To answer your question we will have a full service Finance office on site. The Finance manager has years of experience and will be able to offer you a full range of options. Great question! Thanks

Paddyo
01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
As for the Triton Boat they seem to be a good looking boat, I have never considered them. The reason is that the majority of the models offfered are side consoles only. Here in Alberta my past experience has taught me that the majority of the fishing public would prefer a full walk through windshield model. It gets pretty windy here in God's country. Thanks for info though, but I do not think that Triton will make the short list. Keep the information coming guys!! I really appreciate the help!

Grizzled
01-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Talked to lots of guys that fish and play on the water and it seems certain a decent store with good service will do well here....

dodger
01-17-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree with you Grizzled about service. It is funny that all my relatives in Edmonton go to different dealers for there servicing. And all of them are happy with the dealers. But in Calgary it is totally the opposite. Everyone is fed up with the quality of customer service here.

Player86
01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Harbercraft in very interested in getting a dealer in Calgary area.

see PM.

Paddyo
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up Player, I have sent Kevin an email and we see from there. They seem to have a great boat I am a little concerned with the lack of models however. Keep those comments coming guys! The only way to offer the best service is to find out what kind of service you guys want. Thanks!

Paddyo
01-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Player

kevins email address was wrong it came back to me. I will try and track him down. Thanks

Grizzled
01-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Not familair with these boats...where are they made?

walleyes
01-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Harbercraft boats are made out on the west coast. They are an extremly well made boat, built for the west coast and they also make river boats. They are not the fanciest of boats but they are of the highest quality to be found in a alluminum boat. My oldest nephew runs a 2525 Kingfisher, his dad runs a 2625 Kingfisher and his brother runs one of their river boats. I have spent a fair amount of time in these boats and they are built to last more than one life time. Of course they are quite expensive but you get what you pay for...

craveman
01-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Harbor craft is made right here in Alberta, Sylvan Lake,the interior work is done in B.C.

dodger
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
The selection looks a little thin for Alberta type waters. Boats look great for the larger bodies of water. I like the Polar Kraft selection of boats.

Paddyo
01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Dodger

We are taking a very serious look at the Polar Kraft line. They seem to have a decent line up of models, they are well built with a wide beam, and the price point to the end user is very appealing. I have driven a 19' in some pretty windy conditions and it cut through surprisingly well. It's not for sure as of yet but Polar Kraft is high up on the short list.
I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all your comments on here! I had no idea when posting the question that I would receive so many informative answers. Once again thanks and keep the comments coming!

walleyes
01-19-2007, 01:08 PM
The metal work is done here in A.B. for labour reasons ( unions) out in B.C. The rest of the boat which is most of the boat is manafactured in B.C. And they are assembled out in B.C. And they are considered a B.C. company... Atleast this is my understanding with talking with the dealers...

Rifle14
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Either Legend or Polar Kraft, both look like they have good selection, I've only used a Legend myself, loved the deep-v. As for a motor, honda all the way.

Player86
01-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Every Harbercraft hull is built and welded in Sylvan Lake then shipped to Vernon for paint and rigging. Harbercraft is an Alberta company. What type of models do you guys think is missing for Alberta waters?

Paddyo
01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Player
Thanks again for the imput. Harbercraft are a great boat and I would love to support an Alberta/BC company. However they lack a few of the lower models or "car toppers" if you will. We need a line that offers the full range of boats from the 12 footers to the 20 footers and everything in between, bass boats, side consoles, tillers, etc. As we only want to offer one line we need to find one that offers the full meal deal. I think that focusing on just the one line we will be able to offer a better service to the client. I hope this answers your question, and thanks again for the input! Keep the comments coming!

walleyes
01-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Thx for clearing that up player,,, I guess I was getting the wrong info...

getasheep
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I agree Paddyo. The Harbercraft are some fine looking boats, but nothing in the plain jane range.

Player86
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanx for the feedback on the models, but don't forget about jets. If anybody on this board needs techincal info on Harbercraft's I should be able to help.

huntercam
01-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Are you going to be set up at the Calgary and or Edmonton sportsman show in Feb and March?

Paddyo
01-19-2007, 05:30 PM
We have been at both shows for the past 15 years, however we will only have our glass boats on display unless we make a decision prior to the show on our fishing boats. The problem is time, we want to have the right boat for the Calgary market. I realize that no matter what line we go with there will be those who disagree with our decision. Thats the reason for this post is to find out what the Alberta Fisherman/woman wants in a boat. I cannot stress enough how important I think your feedback is, ultimately the decision will be ours, but it will be based upon the advice we receive here. Thanks again!

Grizzled
01-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Looking forward to the Boat and Outdoors show...and seeing your boats !

LUND
01-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Why not go with 1 of the best boats and one of the most markatable u say they had quality issues but who hasnt at 1 time or the other. Im lookin for a lund for summer will keep checkin to see what u decide.

walleyes
01-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Personelly I run a Lund myself 2006 Lund 2000 fisherman w/ 175 Evenrude E-Tec. We absolutly love the boat we have it rigged for the west coast as well w/ sonars, gps, all the goodies. Lund does have some small issues with their interior, but a Lund hull is a Lund hull. To get any better you have to go to the heavy welded alluminum boats. Lund boats are built to last. People are fooled by fancy interiors and gadgets on alot of other manfactures. Lund is Lund when it comes to standard alluminum boats they stand alone..

Paddyo
01-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Lund boats are a great boat without a doubt, and the biggest reason we cannot look at Lund is because they already have a dealer in Nanton. Lund are very strict on the locations of their dealers and will not have two dealers to close to one another. Lund is a very marketable brand with a loyal following. I think though given a choice I would still opt out for another brand. Thanks guys!

Topwater
01-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Better check into Suzuki outbourds.

Lund Boats
01-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't know about that ...... We have a Lund Dealer in Camrose and we are just a stones throw from Edmonton. Rumour is LUND is Downsizing their operations in Steinbach , Manitoba.

Grizzled
01-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Wondering if any has owned Polar Kraft...they look great and seem to put together some decent looking packages.

Paddyo
01-21-2007, 10:03 PM
I would be very interested in any first hand knowledge that anyone has on Polar Kraft, and of course any other as well. Thanks again

Grizzled
01-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Do you think you will offer winterization,spring "run-up's", and maybe even shrink wrapping for winter?

new boat dealer
01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
I cant wait to check it out

dodger
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
So you are not exactly a new boat dealer here in Calgary? You mentioned that you have been in the boat shows the last 15 years. What is the name of your dealership?

Paddyo
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Well Dodger we will be a new dealer in Calgary, we won't be a new dealer to Calgary if that makes any sence. We have been servicing customers in Calgary for years, and recently decided to open a location in Calary to better service new and existing customers. The name of our dealership is Rayburn's and we have been building and enjoying a very good reputation for over 20 yearsin Kelowna BC. I certainly do appreciate all comments and welcome any suggestions from all. Thanks again!

Grizzled
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Rayburn Marine has an excellent reputation in both B.C and Alberta and it has been built on a "service" first philosphy....RIGHT ON and welcome to Calgary.....

Paddyo
01-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks Grizzled I sure do appreciate your several comments and imput. I hope you and everyone else who has contributed will get an opportunity to come by the dealership just to say hello and have a coffee. Thanks again!

Grizzled
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks....I will be there...keep the coffee hot !

lilsundance
01-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I've been looking at Lowe boats and like what I see.
Will you be carrying any kind of loader for loading boats on a rack on the truck? I have been looking at "Eide" boat loaders. A 14 ft boat that weighs 175-200lbs can be difficult for one person to load onto a rack by himself. Been trying to contact a dealer up in Gp but they won't answer my emails. Perhaps they have gone under I am not sure.

Grizzled
01-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Looking for a new EZ loader trailer with they break in the tongue...easier to get in the garage...will you carry this kind of stuff...or at least make it available to special order?

Paddyo
01-28-2007, 07:34 PM
LilSundance

Lowe is a great boat! Well built, well priced and a great selection of options. Unfortunately for us Lowe has a dealer in Calgary already. I have not looked into the rack system that you were describing, but I will for sure.

For everyone else we have not picked a company yet but we have narrowed the selection down to three, so I will keep everyone posted!

I really can't explain how impressed and thankful I am to everyone for their comments and support, keep them coming!

lilsundance
01-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I live in St Albert but could be convinced to stop by on my way to Lethbridge to visit the step son and his family. lol Let me know what you find out about that loader. I am really interested in finding out an approx price. pm me when you find out. thks.

Paddyo
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Lilsundance

I will keep you posted for sure, and by all means pop in to see us once we are up and running, I'll post opening day and address once they are confirmed. Even though we may not have what you are looking for I want to express the fact that we will always welcome a fellow outdoorsmen and we will always have the coffee on and be ready for a tale or two.

Grizzled
01-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Will you guys be at the boat and outdoorsman show in Calgary in mid Feb?

Paddyo
01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Yes we will be at the Boat Show, just look for the Cobalts! In fairness to this forum I do not want to mention the name of our dealership. I am here to be informed and receive advise and not to solicit business. That being said I invite everyuone to drop buy and say hello at the Boat Show, and I have been permitted to announce on here the make of Aluminum boat that we choose and our opening date. Thanks to all the moderators and thanks to all who left posts on here for me keep them coming!

onerockwest
02-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Have you taken a look at the aluminum boats from Hewes Craft? I have been in a couple myself and they are fantastic fishing boats!!
www.hewescraft.com/ (http://www.hewescraft.com/)

Dewie
02-02-2007, 12:37 AM
I like the alumicraft boats there is only 1 dealer in alberta and that is boat mart in red deer. I personally like there jon boats to put a jet on and fish the Bow river

Grizzled
02-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Polarkraft is looking good...lots of combinations and look solid...an Alberta kind of fishing boat...

Paddyo
02-06-2007, 07:09 PM
well guys its getting close and I think it will be Polar Kraft! Not written in stone but Polar Kraft seems the best bet right now. Iwill keep you all posted, but thanks and I hope to see you all at the new store, stay tuned here, and if anyone has any questions just let me know. Thanks again to the Mod's and to all the people who responded.

polar kraft?
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Never heard of them or seen one on the water is there any other dealers around or something new? Will have to check it out when u open. Might be hard pushin a lessor known brand.

Paddyo
02-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Milt

Actually they have been around for over 50 years. They are VERY popular in the USA, and Eastern Canada. I have driven the boats and was very pleased with the way they handle, and sit in the water. They are very well priced without compromising quality. I needed a boat that I could confidently put beside the Cobalts in the showroom, and I am confident that the Polar kraft is that boat. I hope you have the opportunity to come to the new store and have a coffee and check the Polar Kraft out for yourself, everyone is welcome any time, and no pushy salesguys will bother you!!
Thanks for the comment, and look forward to seeing you at the store!

dodger
02-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I think that Polar Kraft has a great selection for everyone. As soon as you announce your new location and have your pricing and options in place please post it. Also what type of motors are you thinking of supplying.

Paddyo
02-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Dodger

Thanks for your post, I will post our location and we will be open first week of March, however we will be hosting a grand opening with eats and specials in April. I will be sure and post that date as well and send an open invitation for all to attend. As for power we are a merc dealer now with our Mercruisers, however I am seriously thinking about going with Yamaha on the Polar Kraft.

Thanks Again!

dodger
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
COOL!!

Red Sky Shane
02-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Hello all,

I'm a new user, just thought I'd add my two cents....

Red Sky Shane
02-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Whoops. yeah, newbies. Sorry' bout that.

Polar Kraft are excellent boats in my recent experience. I worked with Whitecap Recreation in Slave Lake until recently.
They became a distributor for Polar Kraft, but in case you aren't aware, PK is a subsidiary of Godfrey Marine. The biggest manufacturer of marine in the world I heard....

Their lines include Hurricane sport boats, and Aqua Patio (and other names like Sweetwater, etc.) pontoon boats. Everybody that I know that bought one in the last couple years (including the father in law) is very satisfied. The quality seemed quite good, and the parts supply was the only concern I'd ever heard as they are based in the US.

Hope this helps you all. L8'r, Shane.

Paddyo
02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the forum Shane and Thanks for the input! You are right about Polar Kraft being part of the Godfrey Group. In my conversations with other Polar Kraft dealers in Canada they mentionedd to me that the parts thing was a concern, but they seem to have it running a little smoother now. Thanks, and if you ever get to Calgary drop in to the store for a coffee!

Red Sky Shane
02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
This store you speak of? Has an unmentionable name, or I just missed it?

Forget the fishing boats from polar kraft, sell pontoons!

They're the answer for lakes like Slave Lake with crazy conditions, and they're also great for tricking wives into the safety factor. We got a 27' last year with a 135. It'll haul 8 people, three coolers of bevvies, a porta potti, and 24 fish at 30 miles an hour. Whatta buy.

Good luck with the store, I've got a bro to visit soon in cowtown, I'll come in for a jo.

Grizzled
02-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Saw a 19 ft model..loaded up they look unreal ! Hope to see them at the boat show...

Grizzled
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
OK a little research shows these are good lookin units to..any word yet on which one it will be??

willy
02-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Did u have a setup at the boat and sportsman show. Whats name of ur dealer will be boat shoppin soon. PM me

Red Sky Shane
02-19-2007, 11:36 PM
So Paddyo? PolarKraft it is??

It must be a hard choice, though as there's so many manufacturers out there.

Anybody in Edmonton seen the Martin Equipment boat store along the Yellowhead at 170th?? I don't think they have any fishin' stuff, but the Mastercraft ski boat selection almost made me have a car accident and an orgasm at the same time when I drove by on Thursday. A buddy told me he stopped there last summer and there were rigs for over $110k and there was a guy dropping one off for an $8,000 stereo upgrade. Boys and toys...

It also made me wonder how stores decide on what to order, when it has to be ordered so far in advance. How do you do it Paddyo?

Paddyo
02-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Red Sky

Well we are sill toying around with what line to go with, it is not easy as a lot of the good lines are already represented in Alberta. Martin Equipment were set up behind us at the boat show in Calgary, and I must say that they had the nicest display in the show. We are a Mastercraft dealer in BC, so we can't sell them at our new store in Calgary. However we do have the "Rolls Royce" of boats the Cobalts, and they start at $60 grand and go up to...... well a 34 footer will run you 350,000 plus. We are also a Larson dealer and they are quite affordable. As to how do we do it? crystal ball!!!

Red Sky Shane
02-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Wow, I'll take a Cobalt 343 please.

They look awesome!!!

Sorry to be ignorant enough to say that I've never heard of 'em but, yeah. Very slick paddyo.

So this crystal ball....does it show me buying a Cobalt 45 yacht? I hope so.:\

Grizzled
02-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I am the happy owner of a great tin fishing boat...but if you get a chance to look at a Cobalt...they are the Cadillac of "play" and criuser boats....