PDA

View Full Version : Best Collar Fishing Hook

walleyes
02-09-2007, 08:43 PM
O.K people it has been a discussion around our table for years,,, what is the best all round hook color. And don't be species specific but all round..
For me here at home for Walleye it is without a doubt chartreuse, out on the west coast salmon fishing we have found again chartreuse. I don't mean every time but over all it proves to be the most popular color lets hear you're thoughts..

Vexilar
02-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I find the red hooks and yellow jig tails always work.;)

gunner 83
02-10-2007, 02:34 AM
i prefer hooks with popped collars

and have had good luck with red colours

bigbore
02-11-2007, 12:27 AM
blaze orange, chartrues or glow white

Home Wreaker
02-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Very hard to find ,but I found some at the fishing hole .

Yellow and red candystriped jig tail
I had a yellow with red tail once and that was a hot jig ,but can't find any.

Mudder Man
02-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Walleyes

Never leave home with out your Red & Yellow 5 of Diamonds i say. I have this old one i call my 4 of Diamonds now and it still seems to out fish most other hooks. Maybe its not the color but the way we two Bond with each other these days......lol

Back to the lake for more fun today.

Cheers

gonefishin
02-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Silver with a blue back, never fails.

walleyes
02-21-2007, 03:37 PM
One of my favorites for when the wallys are slow and finnecky is to go with a minnow threaded on a plain non colored (lead) jig head just the jig head,, flick it ever so slowly along the bottom its what I call the stealth mode.. You can usually get a few takers when all else won't work.. It's like their either into the extra color or nun what so ever.. The secret is in how you thread on the minnow so it looks real...

zenstalker
02-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I would tend to agree with you there walleyes... for me it is glow, glow, glow, chartreuse or white... and like you say sometimes just the plain old jig which I always have plenty of on hand ... 1/4 for summer 1/8 for winter (walleyes that is)

DR

FisherPotch
02-23-2007, 05:34 PM
The color i use depends on the conditions. Ex. Bright colors in murky water. But if i had to chose one it would be red.

I had a wally on last summer and was able to watch something spectacular when the fish was in about two feet of water. When it thrashed it flared its gills, i was watching this with polarized glasses and to my astonishment two more much larger walleye came from the deep they both made passes at the little walleye i had on. Now i've tried this a few times and it most certainly doesn't happen every time but i've witnessed it a few times now and it always seems to occur directly after the fish i have on flares its gills.

Sometimes ppl have a fish on and suddenly the rod bends over from another fish takeing the original one that was on. I like attribute this to the flareing gills.

I have nothing to do with these pics, nor do i know the lucky fella.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/Hugepike.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/FisherPotch/RainyLakeNorthern54inches44pounds.jpg