PDA

View Full Version : My First Hunt

brandycourt
09-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey All,

I have read stories of peoples first hunts on the forums and thought I would share my own.

Last November I went hunting for the first time with my fiance and our best friend. Knowing that I did not want to interfear too much with the "guy time" I got them to drop me off on a feild that we had tried out the weekend before, so they could go off and crawl through the bush together!

I didnt expect to get a thing, honestly. I had traffic on the dirt road not too far behind me, always stoping and watching... well I would watch too. Picture this, some girl sitting on a white bucket behind some cheap walmart blind... I hated having myself exposed to the road, IT WAS LIKE i WAS ON DISPLAY!

Anyway I start hearing this noise in the bush to my right, and I start freaking out on the inside... I have never, ever in my life shot a gun at something that was alive!! I hear a snorting sound and Im trying to pivot 90 degrees on this ******ed bucket without making any noise.

And I saw my first deer up close.. he was in the bush no more than 30 meters away. So I pull my gun up and try to find the damn thing in the scope and I cant.... There is too much bush so I sit there, I look at him with my naked eye, see him... look through the scope... and cant! Hes stomping his feet and snorting real loud and all I can hear in my heartbeat in my ears!

He walked off and I could no longer see him. A couple minutes later he reappeared, this time no more than 15 meters away from me, and the only thought I have is that Im going to get charged by a dang deer!!!!

I pulled the gun up, saw nothing but the deers face in my scope (pretty sure it was on 8 or 9 power..) and did not hesitate to pull the trigger.

Then it was quiet and I wasn't sure what to do next. I knew that I had to track it if I wounded it... or my worst fear at that point... slitting its throught... Also at this point I had some guy in his truck watching me from the road!! YES, YES Take a look ... Brandy is on display!

So I walked over and there was this little guy dead on the ground, only about 2 meters in from the edge of the bush. I had shot him clean through the neck!

And honeslty I had no idea what to do... thank god my father in law was coming down the road because he heard the shot.... I helped skin and quater my first deer without hesitation.. The only thing I would not do was drink a shot of its blood... which apparently is a tradition that this blonde was NOT dumb enough to fall for!!!!

lilsundance
09-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey congrats on a great deer. The first one is a trophy no matter how big.

Rackmastr
09-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Congrats!! A first deer is impossible to forget!!

OutwardBound
09-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Congrats, great story too!

Danni

altaberg
09-20-2008, 01:13 PM
great story, congrats on your first deer,

I have bad news for you, it's addictive and you're hooked,
but there is also good news: the excitement never goes completely away.

Map Maker
09-20-2008, 02:44 PM
great story!

You don't have to drink the blood?

TreeGuy
09-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey, a huge congrats from this corner too! Great story and great buck. Alta is quite right when he says welcome to the addiction! You back at 'er this season?

Tree

brandycourt
09-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes it is quite the addiction...

And I will be going out this year again, I have always liked being in the bush but this is different and I like the idea of providing for myself...

I am learning what I need to so I have the ability to go out on my own, because right now it does cause some issues between the boys... Oh well.. I am here to stay!

Buckhead
09-20-2008, 09:47 PM
great story!

You don't have to drink the blood?

No you do not have to drink the blood if you take a bite (and chew and swallow) out of the still warm and bloody deer heart.

Alberta Bigbore
09-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Good on ya, Congrats on the deer!!!

Tuc
09-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Way to go Brandy!

FisherPotch
09-21-2008, 01:55 AM
Good for you! Glad to here you were sucsessful.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything here, just something to think about. I know a fellow whom is big on head shots, so you wouldn't be alone if you were to disagree with what im about to say.

I'd personaly recomend becoming familiar with "the kill zone" on a deer (WT im assuming). Its a large area compaired to the head and should achieve a quick kill as well. I've heard a few stories about deer with missing lower jaw or holes in an ear. I personaly think that dieing from the lack of a lower jaw would be a brutal way to go (I like food). The down side of the kill zone would be a slight loss in meat depending accordingly on shot placement. Also possibility of shooting a little far back ie. guts, but that too comes down to shot placement.

If you can shoot your first deer in the head I'm confident you could make good heart/lung shots too.

Don't let me deminish your pleasure in your kill though, by all means it is something to be proud of. Good luck in your future hunting ventures! :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Congrats on that nice deer . Hell I havent even killed my first and im dreamin about the darn things.:lol::lol::lol::lol: great job. And I wouldnt of fallen for that blood thing nither .:sick:

brandycourt
09-21-2008, 09:32 AM
wow. warm deer heart!

I have heard horror stories about animals dieing gortesquely, without half their face... The reason why I took the shot I did was because he was so close to me. I was taught to shoot within the kill zone and really I couldnt imaging making an animal suffer like that!!!

Thanks for all the support!

Rocks
09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Congrats on your first, and sounds like there will be many more!

Rkymntgal
09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Way to go! It is so nice to see another female hunting and posting. Great deer and story. Don't worry about the guys, they either join ya or back off. Good luck this season and let us know what happens. :wave: