PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird 150 fishfinder on ice

Game Hunter
11-23-2013, 08:00 PM
So I've got a hummingbird 150 piranha fish finder that I've adapted with a float for the hard water season. Wondering if anyone else tried this, and what you guys think of the idea. Believe it has a 20 degree single beam which should work deadly for ice fishing.
Any ideas, criticism would be great!

huntsfurfish
11-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Should work fine. Might have to adjust the TD so it sits level in the water once you see how it sits, is all.

BeeGuy
11-23-2013, 09:18 PM
So I've got a hummingbird 150 piranha fish finder that I've adapted with a float for the hard water season. Wondering if anyone else tried this, and what you guys think of the idea. Believe it has a 20 degree single beam which should work deadly for ice fishing.
Any ideas, criticism would be great!

tried mine. never got it running to my satisfaction

let me know how it works out for you

EZM
11-23-2013, 10:18 PM
You could always rig up a couple 2x4's cut and screwed into a 'T' shape, mount the transducer to the part that goes into the water, and drop it into a hole right beside the one you are fishing from. That should work too. I can't see why it wouldn't ....

Game Hunter
11-24-2013, 04:23 PM
tried mine. never got it running to my satisfaction

let me know how it works out for you

Will definatly let you know. It seems to float dead vertically.
I think it should work, in shallower water maybe not so good. Was more curious about the cold weather and the transducer. Maybe it won't matter...
Getting pumped with reports around here starting to come in. Might have to scout next weekend. :) after hunting season of course. (Sunday)

mayuan
11-24-2013, 04:56 PM
I tried to get the normal transducer to work in the ice season and it didn't work well. Switch to the ice transducer and it was worth the extra money. I also found that the lower end humminbirds didn't really pick up much and when you hit the deeper water you have a reflection problem (ghost fish at the same depth all the time).

Game Hunter
11-24-2013, 08:33 PM
I tried to get the normal transducer to work in the ice season and it didn't work well. Switch to the ice transducer and it was worth the extra money. I also found that the lower end humminbirds didn't really pick up much and when you hit the deeper water you have a reflection problem (ghost fish at the same depth all the time).

I hear you with the ghost fish problem, excpecially when they cruise really tight to bottom. Do or did you have a 150 paranah. Just wondering cause Ide like to buy the ice fishing transducer if it adapts?

mayuan
11-24-2013, 11:14 PM
I hear you with the ghost fish problem, excpecially when they cruise really tight to bottom. Do or did you have a 150 paranah. Just wondering cause Ide like to buy the ice fishing transducer if it adapts?

I had the issue with the piranha 1 and the Humminbird 525. One of the old guys on the lake let me plug the ice ducer into his humminbird 130 and we didn't see anything. He was just using the 130 to tell the depth and said he rarely sees fish on his 130(he was using the skimmer ducer on a stick).

I switched to the Lowrance HDS 5 v2 and all my problems disappeared. I can differentiate between my lure and swivel at 80' now and can count the fish at the bottom. On the ocean I was watching halibut chase my bait at 300'.

Game Hunter
11-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I had the issue with the piranha 1 and the Humminbird 525. One of the old guys on the lake let me plug the ice ducer into his humminbird 130 and we didn't see anything. He was just using the 130 to tell the depth and said he rarely sees fish on his 130(he was using the skimmer ducer on a stick).

I switched to the Lowrance HDS 5 v2 and all my problems disappeared. I can differentiate between my lure and swivel at 80' now and can count the fish at the bottom. On the ocean I was watching halibut chase my bait at 300'.

That's sweet. One day ill catch myself up with technology. Flashers look pretty neat. It's kinda like a video game live. Lol

Game Hunter
11-25-2013, 08:56 PM
I've been reading alot about my piranah 150 on the web, and anyone else who has this unit for the records has the option of buying a ice transducer.
Alot of guys actually have made floats, and are saying that they can identify their small lures aswell. :) I'm pumped as I've never used it in the winter.
I'm thinking having the 20 degree I stead of the 60 might be better aswell cause you only care about what's right beside your hook.
Anyone have setup ideas to zoom or adjust sensitivity to the point you see your jig?
Any sites for educating a user on how to use the finder would be greatly appreciated.