PDA

View Full Version : Whos Headed to Sask?

Bassett
11-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Headed to the land of the Rough Riders on Wednesday, who else is all going out? I drew for zone 37, not 100% sure how the winter hit the animals but pretty pumped to try out new land.

Haven't posted in a long while so I thought Id find out whos all headed where!

Good luck in the rest of the season.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
11-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Headed to the land of the Rough Riders on Wednesday, who else is all going out? I drew for zone 37, not 100% sure how the winter hit the animals but pretty pumped to try out new land.

Haven't posted in a long while so I thought Id find out whos all headed where!

Good luck in the rest of the season.

what part of zone 37 are you heading to????
the deer heards are down 90% from last year and are almost extinct around this area I'm in zone 37 (Churchbridge Bredenbury area) and it was extremely tuff to even find does in this zone this year.

getatmewolf
11-25-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm in zone 24. Hunted hard on our first day today and only seen two little WT bucks, pushed a lot of draws and brush. Few does. Mule deer herd sure seems slim as well compared to last year.

Bassett
11-25-2013, 08:27 PM
what part of zone 37 are you heading to????
the deer heards are down 90% from last year and are almost extinct around this area I'm in zone 37 (Churchbridge Bredenbury area) and it was extremely tuff to even find does in this zone this year.

Friend has land near Ituna, that's where we are headed!

300 wby
11-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Friend has land near Ituna, that's where we are headed!

Good luck. U are in for a big surprise. I'm just east of ituna and I would say we lost 60% of the deer last winter and almost all the mature bucks

elkhunter11
11-25-2013, 08:33 PM
I am in 39 and deer are very scarce compared to last year.

hurtin_albertan
11-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Zone 5 on Friday for the weekend.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
11-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Good luck. U are in for a big surprise. I'm just east of ituna and I would say we lost 60% of the deer last winter and almost all the mature bucks

when I was building the RR siding between leross and jasmine I did some scouting in that area, just west of Kelliher there is a buffalo farmer
2miles west of his house is a huge alfalfa field there was a buck in there i'd say went 165 +
if he's still alive
he wont be far from there
hope that helps

joeya
11-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Heading out to zone 28 on Thursday. Looking forward to it.

300 wby
11-25-2013, 11:07 PM
when I was building the RR siding between leross and jasmine I did some scouting in that area, just west of Kelliher there is a buffalo farmer
2miles west of his house is a huge alfalfa field there was a buck in there i'd say went 165 +
if he's still alive
he wont be far from there
hope that helps

There are some good deer out there but it's nothing like it once was.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
11-26-2013, 07:22 AM
There are some good deer out there but it's nothing like it once was.

I agree wth you even to find a doe its tuff to do this year
there definitely isn't one a deer behind every tree this year

Bassett
11-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree wth you even to find a doe its tuff to do this year
there definitely isn't one a deer behind every tree this year

The way you sound is making it seem like no deer exist there anymore? And if they do what's the best way to hunt them.. Sit and call, cover lots of ground or push bush?

Mhunter51
11-26-2013, 03:09 PM
If anybody is planning on hunting the northern part it is going to be tough. A LOT of snow. Very tough walking and some areas have snow up to my knees two weeks ago already. Forested areas also have a lot of snow and almost all outfitters are using snowmobiles for their clients because they can't get around with 4x4 ATV's. Seen quite a few deer but no bruisers yet. Good luck.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
The way you sound is making it seem like no deer exist there anymore? And if they do what's the best way to hunt them.. Sit and call, cover lots of ground or push bush?

find a food source. that is being used
sit and wait I put on 600 km finding a field with a few tracks in it.
I set out cans of that aerosol doe in estrus. then sat and waited nothing the evening but the next morning there was a buck working a doe in the bush, a grunts on the grunt tube out he came lookin for a scrap

Bassett
11-26-2013, 06:05 PM
I set out cans of that aerosol doe in estrus. then sat and waited nothing the evening but the next morning there was a buck working a doe in the bush, a grunts on the grunt tube out he came lookin for a scrap

Super nice buck! I have apparently a lot of land I am able to hunt out that way so a few kms will be put on for sure. We have a tag in 36 as well, not so sure how that area is either but again quite a bit of land.

BigRack
11-26-2013, 06:09 PM
I will be heading to 44 this Thursday. Reports from relatives say the the deer populations are OK. I guess I will find out.

elkhunter11
11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Seeing some deer in 39, but nothing worth putting a tag on. Saw 9 moose today, they seem to be doing well.

Ranch11
11-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I hunted in 69 most of the month, not near as many deer around but the ones that we've been seeing are friggin big boys. I had a good chance at I would guess a 180 class whitetail, but he was running and it was along ways away so no shot. But heck, what a view seeing that 6x6 running.

bchap22
11-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Been out in 21 with a local buddy and we haven't seen anything worth pulling the trigger on. Lots of winter kill and he says he has never seen it this bad.

JustBen
11-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I've been hunting 6 for two days now. I want to get a buck that will go over 140, but there's nothing around. I haven't seen 100 deer in the past two days. All my familiar haunts aren't holding any deer at all. Definitely a poor year.

Bassett
11-26-2013, 10:13 PM
This is very unfortunate! Hopefully Ill luck out, don't want to thin the herd on a small guy since they need all they can get, good luck everyone, Ill post up my findings through out the week. Headed out tomorrow.

Bassett
11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
100km outside Saskatoon, doesn't look like much for snow have seen one buck on the hoof, 1 coyote and 3 or so dead ones..

Oh just saw a small Mulie buck while I was writing this haha.

Spectre
11-27-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm in zone 24. Hunted hard on our first day today and only seen two little WT bucks, pushed a lot of draws and brush. Few does. Mule deer herd sure seems slim as well compared to last year.

I was in 24/14 last weekend (not hunting though). Not as many mules as usual, and three little WT does. Seen a hog of a muley buck on the north side of the landing in the coulies. Same old same old.

dgl1948
11-27-2013, 04:28 PM
I live on the border of Zones 33 and 34. I purchased my first deer license in 1962 and every year since until this year. Last 2 out of 3 winters took our deer herd. There should not have been a season here. I will not be hunting them this year. They need all the help they can get.
When you see this everyday and have to clean up you wonder why there was a season. Oh, I forgot, the Government like the dollars.

Bassett
11-28-2013, 06:23 PM

Hardly any snow here. Saw 7 bucks, one that went 160". I ended up shooting one at last light. A tall 4x4. Dads turn tomorrow.

Byron
11-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Anyone seeing much in zone 45?

Also can a person buy this tag over counter or does it have to be picked up at a government office?

whitetailhntr
11-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Also can a person buy this tag over counter or does it have to be picked up at a government office?

Non Resident Canadian whitetail licences in Saskatchewan are on draw. You needed to apply last spring and if succesful the licence would have been mailed to you. There are no over the counter licences avaible. The draw system has been in place for 3 seasons now.

Byron
11-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes I'm well aware of the fact it's a draw, I was drawn. I have not been mailed any licences or tags. That's why I'm asking where I can pick my tag up as I'm leaving tomorrow. Just wondering if its a government building because I'd have to leave earlier to get there before they'd close.

whitetailhntr
11-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Yes I'm well aware of the fact it's a draw, I was drawn. I have not been mailed any licences or tags. That's why I'm asking where I can pick my tag up as I'm leaving tomorrow. Just wondering if its a government building because I'd have to leave earlier to get there before they'd close.

My apologies, I did not apply this year so it may have changed. I did apply in 2011 and 2012 and the licence had to be prepaid and was mailed to my residence.

Bassett
11-28-2013, 07:28 PM

They weren't mailed out this year you were supposed to order them, or pick them up at a licensed vendor.

Byron
11-28-2013, 07:30 PM
No worries, I'm just a little confused as to how to get the tag, chances are I'll probably not go at this point an save a deer. But ya of anyone has info on how they obtained there tag please let me know if nothing else I'll know for the future.

Thxs

elkhunter11
11-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Just show up at a license vendor with your HAL number, and they will verify that you are drawn, and issue you your license. At least that is how I got my license.

Byron
11-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys

Who Da Fisherman
11-28-2013, 09:30 PM

They are there but down 50% or more:(

Trevman
11-28-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm out in 38 and there are very few deer. My Dad had my cam out for a week in a spot and we got 16 pics. Last year in the same spot we got well over 100. We did however have some success....Stupid iPhone pics are the wrong way sorry all.

madman
11-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Hunted 55 for 3 days. Locals say there are half the deer numbers from last year. Lots of snow there already. Not looking good for the deer this winter. Bucks were rutting good but no big boys.

cacty
11-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Zone 53 was really down in population this year and they have a foot of snow on the level already, not good. Never even fired a shot.

Prodigy
11-29-2013, 10:03 PM
A buddy and I got drawn in 21 back in my ol stomping grounds, we only had 3 days to hunt. 3 hrs into 1st day I took this broken tine buck with mixed emotions at first knowing that there is or was much greater bucks in this area. The next 2 1/2 days proved to be real frustrating as to only see a handful of deer, mostly does a couple small bucks. Rumours in the area are that deer pop. Is down 60% to winter kill.

elkhunter11
11-29-2013, 11:00 PM
I threw in the towel in 39, after seeing less than half of the deer that I saw last year. The biggest buck that I saw, would have scored around 140, so I let him walk.

300 wby
12-02-2013, 12:34 PM
How did everyone find the deer population?

NBFK
12-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Low numbers and tough Bowhunting in the north. Months of running 6 cameras and my two buddies killed pope and young whitetails while I struck out. Best buck on camera was probably 140. Not much for age class this year.

Mhunter51
12-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Unfortunatly, in the northern forest area it seems to be over-run with outfitters. Can't go down any cut line or old logging road without seeing outfitters bait sites every kilometer or so. Very crowded and as has been said, very few old class bucks. I believe SERM really screwed up a few years ago when none residents were allowed two bucks each. It seemed they shot the first 140 that they saw and then for the remainder of the hunt held out for a larger one, if none came they got two 140's. Hard to have mature bucks when all the teenagers are taken.

harv3589
12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
I threw in the towel in 39, after seeing less than half of the deer that I saw last year. The biggest buck that I saw, would have scored around 140, so I let him walk.

Too bad other hunters wouldn't have followed suite...not going to make it any better next year...I respect you for doing it!

Anticipating this I didn't bother even putting in for a tag, hope to next year depending on this winter...

How did everyone find the deer population?

My father in law was out around the farm and saw very very few deer and only one decent buck...numbers are way down from last fall.

Drop_Tine
12-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Yup low deer numbers where I was , passed on 3 solid 150's , one almost got the air let out of him , as he came in i just got a glimps thought yup shooter , but when he stepped out into the clearing , he just wasnt there , but he sure put on a show , made a rub, raked the trees , grunted up a storm , ****ed dwn his legs , went on for 20 min , it was fun to watch ... passed them all up !