PDA

View Full Version : Behan Lake - Completely Dead?

Levy
11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
I found an old book at the farm that included a lot of hand drawn bathymetric maps of Alberta Lakes. Behan was in in this book and the species listed as present included Perch, Pike and Walleye. I also looked at the FWMIS info and 2004 test netting found no fish not even sticklebacks or fathead minnows. I found the old bathymetric maps to be historically accurate but not presently. I also had a chance to fish Behan from a float plane this fall. We never landed any fish or saw any jumping. The lake is beautiful and had a lot of nice sandy shoreline. Has anyone caught fish out of this lake in recent years. I have been hearing and reading reports that seem to conflict with what my experience and government data (Fish-less).

blackonblackfx4
11-30-2013, 07:32 AM
What part of the lake did you fish when you landed on it? I'm interested in getting in there but it looks pretty touch and go from every side.

Levy
11-30-2013, 07:07 PM
We fished the narrows on the south side. It was about 15 feet deep and had a steep drop off. The depth map I have doesn't show Behan even reaching 20 feet. Its a huge and nice lake. Would be a shame if there weren't any fish in it. My cousins were saying they talked to the trapper last winter and he was saying it had winter killed a few years ago and he hasn't fished it in years. Jack88 said he had some luck there in the winter of 2009 but that was a while ago. I wouldn't be surprised it it winter killed again this year after all that snow and such a long winter.

kreator
12-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Caught perch and jacks in winter of 08/09. Same year as Clyde was getting hit hard. The next year there was essentially nothing at either lake.