PDA

View Full Version : Mcgregor tomorrow

Flieguy
11-29-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm gonna try it. Worst case scenario there's not enough ice and I'll go to PCR. I've never gone to Mcgregor but I'm gonna try off the dam by milo for whitefish, and I'll set a tip up farther out for pike and burbot.

wish me luck!

the local angler
11-29-2013, 07:19 PM
just be careful man parallel to the dam there is usually weak ice along the rocks for about a few feet out.

Flieguy
11-29-2013, 07:41 PM
thanks for the heads up!

Pikecrazed
11-29-2013, 07:53 PM
See you there i think then text me if the ice is a no go

Flieguy
11-29-2013, 07:58 PM
See you there i think then text me if the ice is a no go

I was just about to text you man, me and a couple guys are going to be by the dam around 9am. feel free to join us. I won't have a tent.

BPman
11-29-2013, 08:36 PM
If the dam doesn't work out then try 300 - 350 yds south of the boat ramp in the park. No need to be more than 50 - 100 ' offshore or in more than 5' depth of water. Whites should be there now. Would appreciate a report on ice conditions when/if you get back, lol. Seriously, I would expect at least 3" of ice there by now but warm winds can change everything quickly so take care.
Good luck and tight lines.

jbfishing
11-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Heading down there today too. I will give you an up date on condition around south end of the lake.

Anyone know a good set up for white fish? I usually fish walleye, pike, burn set up there with good success

Flieguy
11-30-2013, 02:58 PM
First thing's first

ICE 6" SOLID except right next to the dam in some places.

fished from 8:30 to 12, one bite at 9 on the pike tip up in 10 fow off the dam.

Tried from 2-10 fow for whites, using different small jigging spoons, saw none down the hole, nobody else was catching any either (I talked to 3 people).

at 10:30 we went south of the boat launch off the point in 4 fow, still saw none.

Flieguy
11-30-2013, 03:28 PM
pics from today:

kinwahkly
11-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Careful with the weather a storm comming in from the north with freezing rain and blizzard conditions

BPman
11-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Flieguy: thanks for the report.

Your experience today mirrors what has happened to me the past two years at Macgregor/first ice. For many years before that we could limit out on whites this time of year then it would die off just before Christmas. Also, I can't explain the murky water conditions noticed the past few years except that it might be due to turnover and the gradually increasing water density as the water temperature falls and decaying algae become relatively more buoyant. My only other idea is the night time whitefish spawning activities stir up the bottom and that combined with the first idea creates the turbidity.

So, my Plan B is to check out Langdon Reservoir tomorrow for whatever is there. I have never fished there but have heard rumours... I will be at the discharge gate at the east end and would welcome any company so we can share what we learn.

jbfishing
11-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Wife, son and I were 4km north of the bridge on south end of the lake. Good bite through out bites through the afternoon. One nice walleye landed @ 3:30ish, but that was it. Amazing sunset :)

fish99
12-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Flieguy: thanks for the report.

Your experience today mirrors what has happened to me the past two years at Macgregor/first ice. For many years before that we could limit out on whites this time of year then it would die off just before Christmas. Also, I can't explain the murky water conditions noticed the past few years except that it might be due to turnover and the gradually increasing water density as the water temperature falls and decaying algae become relatively more buoyant. My only other idea is the night time whitefish spawning activities stir up the bottom and that combined with the first idea creates the turbidity.

So, my Plan B is to check out Langdon Reservoir tomorrow for whatever is there. I have never fished there but have heard rumours... I will be at the discharge gate at the east end and would welcome any company so we can share what we learn.

we used to look forward to first ice, the fishing was amazing, now you are lucky to see a fish. may be the 90,000 kilograms the net fishers take out each fall right before the ice comes on.

slingshotz
12-01-2013, 09:21 PM
we used to look forward to first ice, the fishing was amazing, now you are lucky to see a fish. may be the 90,000 kilograms the net fishers take out each fall right before the ice comes on.

As far as I know, the commercial fishing has been going on for decades there, but I don't know if the quota has changed to upset the balance. I have a feeling that the spawn was much earlier this year due to the early ice. But like BPman I have experienced the exact same things over the past 5 years. I keep hoping that this year will the year where the water is clear and the schools of whites are back like my first year fishing.

steelhead
12-01-2013, 09:57 PM
After the construction on that north dam, 5 years ago, the fish (whitefish) just arent interested in being in the area. Its the same at the south end. No fish anywhere near the dam where there was millions before. The disruption to the lake bottom with silt and new rock and clay may take a while to heal and start new colonies of life for the whites to feed on. Dead zones.

If you get away from these disrupted areas, there are still loads of whites. South of the boat launch is still a prime area.

No matter how many whites they take out, there will be 10 times that still in the lake. They breed like rabbits, grow like snot, and eat everything there is to eat till the other species starve.

STEELHEAD

slingshotz
12-19-2013, 10:33 PM
I've been working in Ontario for the past 3 weeks and only got back to Calgary recently. Can anyone PM me how things are at Mac? We've been going there every year for a while at the beginning of Dec and this is the first year we haven't been able to. Just want to know if it might be still worth it.

Thanks in advance.

jbfishing
12-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Beautiful down there I haven't been in 3 weeks but the fishing was good when we were there last.

lesw
12-21-2013, 11:17 AM
are the whites on the bite