PDA

View Full Version : why???

spoiledsaskhunter
09-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Hope this hasn't been beaten to death already, but as a recent transplant, I just cannot figure out why the regs allow us to keep the big walleye and throw the little ones back. Can someone enlighten me.......seems way the wrong way around for the uneducated.

slingshotz
09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm no expert by any means but I believe that it is to prevent the over harvest of small fish before they get the chance to spawn. I believe they design the regs so that the legal fish have had a few years of spawning maturity before they can be legally kept. There are so many people that fish in Alberta with so little water to fish in that if the small ones were allowed to be kept nothing would grow old enough to spawn.

That said, I don't fully understand some of the regs on the Bow where some sections you are allowed to keep the smaller fish and have to throw the bigger ones back. Maybe there's enough big fish now in the Bow....

Kyle
09-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Hope this hasn't been beaten to death already, but as a recent transplant, I just cannot figure out why the regs allow us to keep the big walleye and throw the little ones back. Can someone enlighten me.......seems way the wrong way around for the uneducated.

its not just walleye...pike,trout,whitefish,burbot,everything. Too bad we didnt have some knowledgeable biologists in AB. :confused:
biggest.idiots.ever.

Jester
09-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Too bad we didnt have some knowledgeable biologists in AB. :confused:
biggest.idiots.ever.

but as a recent transplant,

And where are you from?:rolleye2:

bardfromedson
09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
alberta needs to bring in slot limits for walleye. we are killing all the big spawners and letting the little 17" fish do the spawning. makes no sense to me. most weekend fisherman are to stubern to throw back 20-29 inch walleye back on there own. putting in a slot limit ( keep 17-19 inch and over 30") would increase the size and amount of walleye in the lakes. i also can't figure out why people eat these big fish because they don't taste that good. over 30' i understand people want it on the wall. fish in places like slave lake are getting smaller every year because the big fish are not protected. i for one dont enjoy catching 100 small fish and mabe 5-10 around 20 inches in a day. i would rather catch 20 fish and 10 of them being good size.

Morph1
09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
its not just walleye...pike,trout,whitefish,burbot,everything. Too bad we didnt have some knowledgeable biologists in AB. :confused:
biggest.idiots.ever.

LOL, what a blunt and ******ed statement :),
Kyle just because you go fishing once a weekend and yes you can racognize a few fish species that does not make you understand the entire process as whats really going on under the water.... Because you think one way and not the other does not mean you are right, I am pretty sure that everything that you would bring to the table would be based as an observation only an self assumption, come on these guys went to school to study the subject I am sure that even the least educated biologist would know 100 X more than you do on the subject.

I am sure there are resons for everything that they do and yes sometimes folks will wonder and question if they're right, to those I would like to see them sending an e-mail to NASA and questioning the capabilities of their space craft :) :lol:

Cheers !