PDA

View Full Version : High River RCMP being investigated by the CPC

Jack&7
12-01-2013, 09:26 AM
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/11/20131130-164650.html

elkhunter11
12-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Just how much investigating can they do in the time allotted?

"Commission investigators will be in High River from December 9th to 13th to
speak to persons who may have been impacted," said Richard Evans, the
commission's senior director of operations, in an email to Sun Media.

Just how much investigating can they do in High River in five days?

The commission has said, however, that while investigations typically take
up to a year, this one would be done "sometime in December

So less than a month in total, for the entire investigation. I believe that they are just going through the motions, so that they can say that an investigation took place.

BANG
12-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Considering its a documented fact they did indeed remove firearms from homes the investigation should take about ten minutes and should of been done weeks ago.That being said sadly i agree chances are nothing will come of it.

mayuan
12-01-2013, 10:14 AM
It is just a formality, the people higher up need to say that they looked into it and did a formal investigation. As already stated nothing will come of it. The RCMP will be found acting in the best interested of the residents.

Big Daddy Badger
12-01-2013, 12:51 PM
It is just a formality, the people higher up need to say that they looked into it and did a formal investigation. As already stated nothing will come of it. The RCMP will be found acting in the best interested of the residents.

Exactly...its lip service to shut folks up.

The findings have already been determined.

Folks...this is how government works.

I am wrapping up 28 years of federal service in DND and if you look at the history of how many folks are successful in a complaint against a superior...and the consequences for those superiors vice the accuser if his bid fails... you will soon learnb that the playing field is NOT level.

First... it is job one to protect the Dept and second... the rules are set up to wigh in favour of anyone in a position of authority.
Second...who is doing the investigating?
A retired cop.... one with ties to those he is accusing perhaps?

The best way to protect the Dept is almost always to protect its senior personnel.

The only time they throw a big wig under the bus is when there is no getting around it or... when it looks like it will save them money.

One only has to look at the senate investigatimg senators or the Conservative party investigating their own related to elections shenanigans to get an idea of how this will turn out.

CNP
12-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Why so negative. It sounds like you have already made your own findings...

The Chair of the CPC himself initiated the complaint...

Let him do his business...

Chair-initiated Public Complaint And Public Complaint Investigation: RCMP Seizure Of Firearms In High River, Alberta

File No.: 2013-2013
Related Link

News Release (http://www.cpc-cpp.gc.ca/cnt/nrm/nr/2013/20130705-eng.aspx)
July 5, 2013
July 5, 2013
As Interim Chair of the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP (Commission), I am initiating a complaint and public interest investigation into the conduct of those RCMP members involved in entering private residences and seizing firearms following flooding in High River, Alberta in June and July 2013.
Media reports and the RCMP outlined actions taken by RCMP members in High River following the flooding of the area and the consequential evacuation of its residents. Specifically, public concerns arose following reports that members had entered private residences in the area and seized firearms found within those residences. The Prime Minister’s Office equally and publicly expressed concern in respect of the seizures.

In light of the foregoing, pursuant to subsections 45.37(1) and 45.43(1) of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act (RCMP Act), I am today initiating a complaint and public interest investigation into the conduct of all RCMP members or other persons appointed or employed under the authority of the RCMP Act involved in the activities in High River, Alberta, specifically:
whether the RCMP members or other persons appointed or employed under the authority of the RCMPAct involved in entering private residences in High River complied with all appropriate training, policies, procedures, guidelines and statutory requirements;
whether the RCMP members or other persons appointed or employed under the authority of the RCMP Act involved in seizing firearms from private residences in High River complied with all appropriate training, policies, procedures, guidelines and statutory requirements; and,
whether the RCMP national, divisional and detachment-level policies, procedures and guidelines relating to such incidents are adequate.

redcoat01
12-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I sent a letter to Public Complaints Commission and to AB Justice Minister Denis. I want to know who gave the command in the RCMP to start seizing Firearms , and whether any person,s such as Government Officials influenced these Orders. I not going to hold the front line Members accountable as they were just following orders and the chain of command.
Furthermore considering the RCMP K Div CO McGowan just retired , he would be the perfect fall guy. It's disgraceful that Law Abiding Firearm Owners are unable to get a honest answer from either the RCMP or the Politicians on this one.

And don,t hold your breath , because I don,t things will change anytime soon , Frankly it will be more Lip Service.:mad3:

BANG
12-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Following orders is not a excuse to break the law !
They should all be held accountable for there crimes.
If the police officers dont know right from wrong how can they expect us lowly citizens to?

brslk
12-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I can save them some time and money.

"we investigated and found there was no wrongdoing on the part of the RCMP"

That's gonna be the final result of this "investigation".

BANG
12-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Yep,im just hoping it will help steer enough people to the wild rose party then the r.c.m.p wont be our problem anymore.

redcoat01
12-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Yep,im just hoping it will help steer enough people to the wild rose party then the r.c.m.p wont be our problem anymore.

Sorry the Wrp rescinded their motion to replace the RCMP recently.

BANG
12-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Noooooooo the bass terds .looks like its letter writing time again.
Are they trying to lose the next election now?

greylynx
12-01-2013, 03:48 PM
They are trying to look liberal. Big city liberal. That is how Albera is run these days.

BeeGuy
12-01-2013, 04:05 PM
They are trying to look liberal. Big city liberal. That is how Albera is run these days.

Ever try a pinch of optimism in your bitter tea Grey?

It's some strong medicine and will actually make you live longer.

greylynx
12-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Ever try a pinch of optimism in your bitter tea Grey?

It's some strong medicine and will actually make you live longer.

Beeguy:

I am as optimistic as you are.

redcoat01
12-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Noooooooo the bass terds .looks like its letter writing time again.
Are they trying to lose the next election now?

Agree with you , I was disappointed too.:rolleyes:

Jack&7
12-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Sun News exposes how the government used a natural disaster to go into people’s homes and take their guns.

Premiering December 10 at 7PM ET, 9PM MT. Shaw Digital 177, Bell 506, Shaw Direct 149/517.

gitrdun
12-06-2013, 03:54 PM
The local RCMP officers in High River were just as badly affected by the flood as any community member. Their homes were as badly affected as well as any homeowner in town. Thus, as I understand it, they had nothing to do with any door breaking nor gun removal. Ad far as the arsehole RCMP ofiicers from Ft. Mac or Grande Prairie that showed up in our town, I'd be the first one to knock their head off and sh1t down those ********$'s necks. :)

Our new RCMP guy in charge is Ian Chardlow. He seems like a good guy, and he is a local. So he gets benefit of the doubt from me. Give 'im a chance before ya throw him under the bus.

redcoat01
12-07-2013, 08:31 AM
The local RCMP officers in High River were just as badly affected by the flood as any community member. Their homes were as badly affected as well as any homeowner in town. Thus, as I understand it, they had nothing to do with any door breaking nor gun removal. Ad far as the arsehole RCMP ofiicers from Ft. Mac or Grande Prairie that showed up in our town, I'd be the first one to knock their head off and sh1t down those ********$'s necks. :)

Our new RCMP guy in charge is Ian Chardlow. He seems like a good guy, and he is a local. So he gets benefit of the doubt from me. Give 'im a chance before ya throw him under the bus.

I agree Chardlow is a good fellow , however he will still be required to follow the chain of command . That's where you run into issues, it's only a handful of power hungry Commissioned officers that appear to be the problem children.
One must remember it's the bureaucracy of the Organization , there is still a lot of good Members out there that themselves find these High River Gun Seizures distasteful .

Kanonfodder
12-08-2013, 11:00 AM
SET OF FIREARMS. Credits: QMI AGENCY
LORNE GUNTER | QMI AGENCY

A week ago, the CBC reported that it had received scores of e-mails from the RCMP pertaining to the evacuation of High River, Alta., following last June's floods.
Thankfully, the National Firearms Association (NFA) also received most of the same documents because to read the CBC's story, you would get the impression that everything went smoothly and the Mounties behaved entirely benignly.

The incident has become known as the High River Gun Grab because as officers went door-to-door in the devastated and deserted town (presumably looking for survivors), they seized hundreds of firearms.

They kicked down doors in 1,900 of the 5,300 houses in town, including houses untouched by floodwaters.

They even kicked down unlocked doors and doors that had glass panels beside them that could have been broken to reach the deadbolt.

From the muddy boot marks and glove prints they left behind, it is clear officers searched in all sorts of locations (such as underwear drawers and makeup tables) where no survivor could have been sheltering (but where a handgun might have been stashed).

The destruction Mounties inflicted on High River is unprecedented, yet the CBC insisted officers were engaged solely in "basic police work."

The only problem the CBC could see: Federal Tory cabinet ministers were putting "political pressure" on the national police force to give back whatever guns they had taken as quickly as possible.

But a deeper examination of the documents, obtained via access to information, reveals that Mounties weren't just acting as compassionate rescuers and heroes.

An RCMP spokesman, Sgt. Julie Gagnon, is seen in an e-mail complaining that politicians shouldn't be concerning themselves in police business because officers were "only ensuring the safety/security of the population.

Police do that kind of work when they go to residences that are unsecured ... they have to do it."

But if, as Sgt. Gagnon says, the only residences Mounties were entering where "unsecured," why the need for nearly 2,000 forced entries?

An unlocked door doesn't need to be battered down, only a locked door - a "secured" door - does. Pardon the pun, but were officers smashing in doors just for kicks?

On page 79 of the NFA's copies of the e-mails, Assistant Commissioner Marianne Ryan (who has since been promoted to commanding officer of all Mounties in Alberta) is seen to report at 10:44 a.m. on June 21 (the day after the flood), "So far we've managed to effect [sic] the rescue and evacuation of 95% of the town of High River."

Great. That's quick work.

But if 95% of townspeople had been saved within the first 24 hours, why the need to break down doors for a further six or seven days?

The answer simply cannot be the hunt for survivors.

In all, Mounties rescued

38 survivors trapped by the rising Highwood River.

That is a very brave and noble achievement for which Canadians should be grateful.

But it's not a sufficient explanation for keeping 13,000 people out of their homes for two weeks or more while police went on a looting rampage.

Many homes, including several outside the flood zones, were searched two or three times until guns were found.

Others were only searched for guns.

As the disaster dragged on, Mounties became obsessed with taking guns rather than securing survivors.

On June 24, the e-mails show that "200 RCMP officers along with locksmiths ... (are) now going door to door checking on homes."

At that point the emergency was largely over. Booting down doors was unnecessary, particularly if locksmiths were available.

So this is further proof the Mounties weren't just about rescuing people.

On Tuesday, the Sun News Network will air a documentary on the gun grab.

Tune in for more details on this massive breach of civil rights.

mally
12-08-2013, 12:21 PM
im kinda suprised they havent appointed a fall guy yet
just give him a golden hand shake
rcmp and alison redford off the hook for siezing guns
and bungling of the whole affair

the redford goverment should handle the previous scandle
before starting another one withe AUPE attack